Which Inflatable Canoe/Kayak?

buellzebub

Maximum Mayhem
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So back in the day I used to have a 14' Ranger open canoe and did many river trips in the UK, Belgium and France. But times changed, I damaged my boat and now I no longer have anywhere to store a rigid canoe.
So I'm looking for advice and opinions regarding an inflatable. The main use will be river trips with occasional overnight camps. It will probably be 98% solo 2% tandem.
The 2 I've been looking at are the Sevylor Colorado and the Aquaglide Chinook 2. The reviews I've seen for the Sevylor seem to go from one extreme to the other with people either loving and praising them or in the case of one YouTube review saying to avoid at all costs!
I'd be interested and grateful for any advice or experience, thank you.

Gumotex pavala probably one of the better ones, the sevylor range and other's with similar material take ages to dry before packing up.

Talking to a lovely couple up at Loch Ness Shores earlier this year, they went everywhere in one of these ...

i-VrXwJHj-L.jpg

i-SRrF6Pz-L.jpg

i-RVfKBds-L.jpg

It even has a sail :eek:

i-W3d8K8s-L.jpg

:beerjug:

Saw some Sevylor Kayaks on Windermere today. I commented to my missus what a great option they offer. And this is coming from a hi volume whitewater kayaker!

Talking to a lovely couple up at Loch Ness Shores earlier this year, they went everywhere in one of these

But Micky, it is only rated to 635 lbs so it's not going to take your average Tosser and his packed lunch! :rob :D

I have a Sevylor and it has been OK. I had trouble with the first one and a seam separating but the replacement is a good few years old now and still going strong. They are definately no replacement for a rigid but for many it is the only option.

I quite fancy a shot on a paddle board, smaller and easier to store than a rigid but possibly more fun than an inflatable.

I borrowed one from a mate 3 years ago to use as a swimmer support craft in the Lakes.

I have paddled a bit (D-W finisher) and had low expectations of any non-rigid kayak. However, it was really well made and handled surprisingly well. I was very impressed. It was fast to inflate and I remember him saying it hadn't cost a great deal. I will contact him tomorrow to establish the make.

I bought a Sevylor Colorado as I have the canal at the back with an 8 mile stretch with no locks.
I found it a bit useless for cutting through the water & making progress. - Soon sold it on!

I have a rigid, my mate an inflatable, we went out several times, river and sea ..... he now has a rigid :beerjug:

If an inflatable is your only option, regarding space, then ok 👍🏻 but, you’ll find them limiting.

But Micky, it is only rated to 635 lbs so it's not going to take your average Tosser and his packed lunch! :rob :D

Well certainly not The Bear and his lunch box ... I've met him and seen him eat :D

Costco are doing a foldable kayak.

Looks like it's made out of rice paper to me!
I would imagine the first rock it grounds on would be the last.

Back
Top Bottom