If you wanted to make a long distance trail bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Photo added this time

This is it this time

Attachments

• IMG_9559.jpg
    IMG_9559.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 351
With the addition of some pannier frames that’d do the job. If I find something suitable a bigger tank will be the first thing to be fitted working on the basis that you don’t have to fill it if you know there’ll be fuel available but at times an extra 50 miles range can be invaluable.

It'll still be a slug

That may be true but on a long distance trip at least you know it'll get you there.

If you'd take a KTM any further than the end of the road on properly difficult terrain unsupported, you're a braver man than I am.

I just took the RRCB500X 13,000 miles to Beijing, through the Wakhan Valley and along the Pamir highway. It never missed a beat and nothing fell off (apart from the bits I'd added myself :). Apart from their factory race machines, KTM stopped building bikes that could do that quite a while ago.

As the man once said, in order to finish first, first you have to finish...

Only 3-4 years ago I’d have been seriously looking at the CCM 450 but they seem to have died a death and the lack of support miles from home is worse than KTM. What I like about KTM above most of the Japanese offerings is that in my limited experience their dealers seem far more willing to go the extra bit to get you going again rather than shrug their shoulders and tell you they’d order the parts you need.

If I was going to go further than the Caspian I’d probably go back to basics and buy a 500 Enfield then rely on locals feeling sorry for me :D

I've done a couple of 2500 mile trips on my 500 exc including a few 250 mile days. This has mainly been done on the TET in the Balkans. The bike has a Nomad screen, modified seat, 19 litre tank and Globetrottin' rack. Compared to my previous 690 the bike is "acceptable" on faster roads but it will sit happily sit at 75 - 80 mph. Off road the exc is far superior to the 690 -it's got far better suspension, more steering lock and is far lighter.
If your trips are going to be mainly on the road or "easy tracks" I'd go for a 690 or similar but if you enjoy more technical riding the exc would be a great choice - just factor in an oil change every 1000 - 1500 miles.

If you wanted to make a long distance trail bike...

That's what I wanted to do, and the KTM 525 I chose did the job admirably.
Mark

The big problem with working excessive hours (apart from the obvious tiredness) is looking at bling I wouldn’t normally be bothered about and because I got a flyer today and finished at 4pm rather than the normal 7:30pm I’ve been quietly drinking beer and looking at kit from Nomad-ADV and it’s all very tempting :eek:

I’m coming to the conclusion that getting rid of my 1290 SDGT might not be a bad thing because I’ve got a not too tatty 1150GS that I’m perfectly happy with that can be used for summer holidays with Mrs B and I’d then have a hole suitable for a new or almost new 500 EXC which a I could throw some money at and then use for those extra weeks holiday that workshy contractors like me can take as and when the urge becomes too much :D

I've ridden the 450 and the 500 offroad and the 500 seems less 'frantic'.

I do like a 450 though :) Might be the next dirt bike in fact....

I've ridden the 450 and the 500 offroad and the 500 seems less 'frantic'.

I do like a 450 though :) Might be the next dirt bike in fact....

Well if this latest idea comes to fruition I’ll be pestering you to take me on a nice gentle ride on those hills surrounding your house. I can always persuade the other half that she wants an evening on the lash with that English wife of yours to give her a break from you jabbering on in Welsh to your cronies down the pub.

Well if this latest idea comes to fruition I’ll be pestering you to take me on a nice gentle ride on those hills surrounding your house. I can always persuade the other half that she wants an evening on the lash with that English wife of yours to give her a break from you jabbering on in Welsh to your cronies down the pub.

Oh I should think most of that will be possible.....

The 500 Andy. Search for ARieman1 on you tube for a few pointers, or in the list of threads there is some tasty mods by Rocky Burns and Earthmover I think.

I’m heading home tomorrow and the difficult part will be avoiding making rash phone calls on Saturday when my wife is out for the day and I sit in the garden idly throwing meat on the bbq and drinking beer.

I’ve persuaded myself without too much difficulty that an EXC500 is a sensible purchase and my SDGT might fetch somewhere around the price of a shiny new bike.

Probably the best thing for me to do would be to work the weekend but where’s the fun in that? 😀

I’m heading home tomorrow and the difficult part will be avoiding making rash phone calls on Saturday when my wife is out for the day and I sit in the garden idly throwing meat on the bbq and drinking beer.

I’ve persuaded myself without too much difficulty that an EXC500 is a sensible purchase and my SDGT might fetch somewhere around the price of a shiny new bike.

Probably the best thing for me to do would be to work the weekend but where’s the fun in that? ��

If you’re going new it might be worth waiting until December to see if they do their usual 20% off new bikes...

If you’re going new it might be worth waiting until December to see if they do their usual 20% off new bikes...

My wife was at my favoured KTM dealer today having her 390 serviced and she asked what they could do and the answer was come and talk business but they’re all dropping £500 off list right now and this time of the year it’s always a buyers market.

They don’t knock as much off what they deem to be ‘competition bikes’ but realistically it’s all about cost to change so if I can get what I consider to be a reasonable price for my 1290 GT which was heavily discounted when I bought it then I’ll probably go for it. I’ll see what they come up with and if I think it’s unreasonable them I can advertise my bike privately but a 21 month old 1290 GT should fetch somewhere around £10k on the showroom floor and I can get a 2019 500 EXC for £8.7k so either a straight swap or a couple of hundred out of my pocket is what I’m looking at or I’ll get rid of something else to make room for another bike and keep the 1290.

Alternatively I might suddenly come to my senses and stick rather than twist :D

If your going new ktm 500... to be honest I wouldn't bother and get a husqvarna fe 501.
The spec of the bike is way better for less money. You would be buying a six days to get the same bits.:thumb

The only bit on the six days that I think I’d want is the map change switch because everything else will be going so there’s not much point in one.

I’ll probably take a ride to a KTM dealer for a good look in the morning.

I’ve never been good at resisting impulse buys and a cost to change of £500 seemed too good to resist.

What did I buy? Well it’s goodbye KTM and hello Husqvarna 501 😀

If your going new ktm 500... to be honest I wouldn't bother and get a husqvarna fe 501.
The spec of the bike is way better for less money. You would be buying a six days to get the same bits.:thumb

Yours was the ear worm that told me to go for the 501 and that was the end of it.

In the end I got the bits that I’d want from the 6 days without the bits I wasn’t interested in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom