Scooters

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know it’s more or less in the wrong place although my daughter will be getting instruction during her IBT (Irish cbt). Sinead is 22. Just finished her degree and starting a masters. Not really the typical biker but travels on the back of my RT. We were thinking of a maxi scooter as she will have a a A2 learner permit. The trip will be about 80 miles round trip twice a week + whatever other running about she gets up to. Public transport is a bit of a problem. 3 years ago a guy tried to drag her into his car and she had a very hard time getting past it. She even got the reg. no which turned out to be false so it wasn’t just opportunistic but planned. Anyway we have mostly driven her to where she was in Maynooth 40 mile round trip twice a day. She does get the bus sometimes but you can see her stress level go up. Hopefully with a scooter she will be able to be more independent. Anyway that’s by way of background. The question is will a scooter of around 400cc be able to cope with such a run on a variety of different roads what you would call A B and motorway (when test is passed) + about 6 miles of urban. I was told by someone with nothing to gain or loose that a scooter wouldn’t really be able for that kind of use. Mabey a t max but other scooters aren't able for it. Of course the bmw guy says their 650 scoot would be. Now it doesn’t HAVE to be a scooter we can go for a bike if that’s more suitable so I’m asking what do you lot think? JJH

Anything from 300cc upwards would be absolutely fine. Scoots are quick and ideal for commuting due to the weather protection. Height may be an issue as some of the latest 300/400cc machines are relatively tall (need to be about 5'8 or above, or long legs!). The latest Honda Forza 300 also has an electric screen and traction control although the Yamaha 300 is a tad quicker, but in reality they're both quick and will cruise comfortably at 80.

I have a Gilera VXR 180 that copes with a 40 mile round trip daily, which includes 80mph dashes up and down the A12 (traffic depending) plus filtering through congested Chelmsford. Factor in the fact that I'm not far off 20 stone, I think anything 125cc or above will cope perfectly well.

A 400cc vehicle, whether a scooter or geared bike, will be fine for her commute, she should have no problems with it, maybe find one with 12" wheels or larger for better stability.

Takes me back to my school runs on my trusted Zundapp GTS50. We had free public transport but I hated the bus, still do. Totally agree with the bigger wheel size. Trying to get my young lad on a scooter as well and have seen various 125's with the full size wheel option but still twist and go.

Some really nice scooters about JJH sure you'll find her a goodun.

I had a X-Max 300 for a while which would be fine for this. I now have an older T-Max 500 which rides very well and is obviously a little quicker.

How about a Piaggio MP3 ? I run a 300cc Yourban LT Sports alongside my airhead.

Three wheels, two out front, giving superb grip when cornering on country lanes or in the rain, locks upright when stopping, loads of space under the seat.

Check them out, different engine sizes up to 500cc.

She didnt complete training yesterday. After doing well she balked at going on road. She will try again next week JJH

Hopefully, if she does give it a go, she'll discover how much fun it is on two wheels.

Thanks for that. She is actually terrified of stalling the bike in traffic. She might try on a scooter which was the original plan but talked out of by tutor. Might have been a bridge too far JJH

How about a Piaggio MP3 ? I run a 300cc Yourban LT Sports alongside my airhead.

Three wheels, two out front, giving superb grip when cornering on country lanes or in the rain, locks upright when stopping, loads of space under the seat.

Check them out, different engine sizes up to 500cc.

These 3 wheelers are very good and the 300 would be plenty good enough.

Knowing the roads you're talking about i agree with all the good words about Scoots. :thumb
The only thing i'd say is that the MP3 can be a bit more complex (i.e: costly :rolleyes: ) to run / repair.
I'd go for a 400 Burgman if i had the choice. Very easy and not intimidating for a newby to master and a right giggle when you get the hang of them. :green gri
Seat width more than height can be a problem for shorter riders.
All the best to herself and keep us posted.

SHE PASSED. 10 FEET TALL NOW. Looking for something now. Probably go for a bike now. Let’s see what comes up on the horizon. Honda NC or something. JJH

SHE PASSED. 10 FEET TALL NOW. Looking for something now. Probably go for a bike now. Let’s see what comes up on the horizon. Honda NC or something. JJH

Congratulations! I can highly recommend a KTM 390 Duke. Always puts a smile on my face, very well built, easy to ride and an absolute bargain

Congratulations to her!

Bikes for fun but scoots for practicality/commuting. Difficult choice.

Congratulations :clap Now go and find a decent sized scoot, fit a 'shitebag', decent muffs and she'll be ready for a winter commute without looking like a storm trooper. I used a MkII T-Max with this set up for five years in and around London, highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom