OEM 1150 GSA parts...

You’ve just entered a pool of sharks. There’s an assessor, a dealer, who all need/want to make a few bob from your bike , maybe even a mechanic or two who’s hoping to buy the salvedge of your bike .
Who did the estimate ? Is it still at the dealers doing the estimate ? If so the bike will be incurring a daily storage charge, which won’t be charged if they get the repair, but will be charged if they don’t get the job i.e. you repair it yourself :D .... get it out of the dealers and get a second sensible estimate, some assessors won’t like it as they are on a commission, so the lower the repair cost the less dosh for them

It’s with 4th Dimension in Egham (around the corner from me, as it turns out) who are my insurer’s appointed repairers - they get an independent assessor, apparently and provide my hire bike in the meantime.

I just want my bike back and enough cash to fix the damage.

Stay tuned.

I’ve said this somewhere else recently, but i did exactly what Cookie did when I wrote off my old 60k mile R80GS...

I bought the salvage for £175, had Motorworks import a new frame from BMW (invoice #1) and bought all the other parts needed secondhand (invoice #2). The payout from the insurers paid for all the bits and for a local dealer to rebuild it, in less time than it took for my scaphoid to repair itself. The bike was back in my garage and ready to ride as soon as the cast came off and I had £900 still in the bank. Best bit was selling it 4yrs later for £1500 with 102k miles on it. The separate invoices meant it retained its original reg instead of going on a Q plate.

In July, my 15 y/o Celica was written off by a dopey lady on a roundabout. She entered in the left lane and I entered alongside in the right lane to go straight on, but she decided after entering the junction to turn right... and into my passenger door. I’ve owned the car for 14 of those years and virtually all of the 178k miles and it has a dealer service history from new so I’m getting the salvage of this one for £98. £300 should sort it but the payout is £1200 and I should be able to sell it for £1000 after sorting it as it was purely cosmetic damage. The fun bit is that the salvage yard have presumably considered it scrap and have damaged the rear bumper whilst in their charge, so they’re now going to have to pay me out for that as an as-new repair where I can then choose whether to just stick a s/h bumper on it. More profit to me...:thumb

I had a similar off two years back. CN wanted my bike collected and taken to somewhere up north, but as it only needed crash bar, cam cover (surprisingly not protected by the oe crash bar!!), hand gaurd and my givi screen and top box; I refused to let it go. Took it to local dealer instead. Two years on weve just been to court to get the excess back, the a/hole didnt even turn up. I guess the pack of lies in his statement were beyond his ability to lie under oath in court. Judge certainly wasn’t impressed .

It’s with 4th Dimension in Egham (around the corner from me, as it turns out) who are my insurer’s appointed repairers - they get an independent assessor, apparently and provide my hire bike in the meantime.

I just want my bike back and enough cash to fix the damage.

Stay tuned.

4th Dimension ...... I’ll say no more . Thought they’d be a hire bike involved . Ask the daily hire cost and you’ll see why these things (intentionally) drag on for so long while the money rolls in z

...I entered alongside in the right lane to go straight on...

Why? Is this how you do roundabouts in the UK?

...but she decided after entering the junction to turn right... and into my passenger door.

This is a good reason to use the left lane to go straight ahead, no?

Curious, not judging or commenting. :thumb2

Fair questions...

Why? Is this how you do roundabouts in the UK?
Yes

This is a good reason to use the left lane to go straight ahead, no?
Both lanes have right of way to go straight on.
Left lane can also turn left, but right lane must not do.
Right hand lane can also turn right, but left lane must not do so.

The following may be helpful to explain...:thumb

Attachments

• 58B4EB26-32D1-44DB-A6E7-C5821642AFA9.jpg
    58B4EB26-32D1-44DB-A6E7-C5821642AFA9.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 239
Fair questions...

Yes

Both lanes have right of way to go straight on.
Left lane can also turn left, but right lane must not do.
Right hand lane can also turn right, but left lane must not do so.

The following may be helpful to explain...:thumb
Your diagram matches what I was also taught. BUT I NEVER EVER trust the other bone heads to either know or respect that rule. In fact my expectation is they won't... so I ride accordingly.

Saying that, I hope it goes in your favour. Steptoe has also highlighted the rotten system that we all subsidise...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I instruct IBT. I tell noobs to use left lane to go straight ahead, despite ROTR allowing left or right - gimp risk from the left is too high.

A very sensible approach, but how do you train them to deal with the gimps who turn left from the right hand lane.. or any other road users who choose not to follow the ROTR/signage?

I instruct IBT. I tell noobs to use left lane to go straight ahead, despite ROTR allowing left or right - gimp risk from the left is too high.

I don't think you can - such gimpage is random. Best we can do is encourage good general awareness, anticipation, judgement, etc.

The reason for focusing on the gimp going right in the left lane is that that seems to be the most common (rare to not see someone do it) and dodgy misuse of lane.

Going left from the right lane is something I've seen only once.

So, the plot thickens.

The third party is denying liability suggesting I hit the rear of her car, when in fact it was the passenger side door/panel and not only that, she is claiming against my insurance for personal injury (lord knows how... she was perfectly fine as we chatted afterwards, but I'll not go down that road for now)... oh, and apparently she has an independant witness, which is interesting since at no point after the accident did anyone stop to talk to either of us, right up until the time she eventually left the scene while I waited around to compose myself before riding home. Again, I'll not go down that road for now.

Anyhoo... it looks like I'm going to have an uphill struggle to be proved 'not at fault'. I wish I had pictures of the damage to her car. Everything's clearer with hindsight.

So, the question is how much does being 'at fault' affect my insurance? Is it a multiple of my original excess or something?

If I was paying around £300, what kind of figure might that shoot up to?

Anyone had experience of this?

E

So, the plot thickens.

The third party is denying liability suggesting I hit the rear of her car, when in fact it was the passenger side door/panel and not only that, she is claiming against my insurance for personal injury (lord knows how... she was perfectly fine as we chatted afterwards, but I'll not go down that road for now)... oh, and apparently she has an independant witness, which is interesting since at no point after the accident did anyone stop to talk to either of us, right up until the time she eventually left the scene while I waited around to compose myself before riding home. Again, I'll not go down that road for now.

Anyhoo... it looks like I'm going to have an uphill struggle to be proved 'not at fault'. I wish I had pictures of the damage to her car. Everything's clearer with hindsight.

So, the question is how much does being 'at fault' affect my insurance? Is it a multiple of my original excess or something?

If I was paying around £300, what kind of figure might that shoot up to?

Anyone had experience of this?

E

Probably you'll lose a couple of years no-claims bonus.

I would start by speaking to my insurers regarding the discrepancy in your and the other party's accounts of the accident, but I wouldn't count on them giving much of a shit...

Free legal advice may be available - try e.g. sorrymate.com, who offer their services to MAG members LINKY

So the short version is my bike is being fixed.

The insurance company have approved the repairt cost which in the repair centre’s words means putting my ‘like new’ bike back to how it was before the spill, replacing any scratched/scuffed parts with new OEM.

So that’s all good - I won’t go into the eye-watering estimate they produced, nor the craziness of nearly writing off a perfectly good bike with a few scuffs.

Liability-wise, it’s ongoing, but the 3rd party has now supplied 2 conflicting statments, both including inaccuracies, a blatant falsehood and (it seems) a statment that she “Doesn’t know where I came from” which in itself is no defence. She’s also provided a statment from an ‘independent witness’ (with even more inaccuracies, one small one being that I had no headlights on... Uh, I can’t actually turn them off, love) who suspiciously lives in the same block of flats overlooking the junction where the accident happened that the third party indicated she was visiting her mothing at.

Sigh.

Anyhoo... getting my bike back :)

Just re-read your short amount of what happened (I'd forgotten the scenario). It seems she turned across your path, clearly without checking first... Despite any witness statements, the 'arrangement' or set-up of the incident points to it being her fault. Speed could be the obvious point against you.

One suggestion for you, if speed is mentioned and she says 'you were going to fast' then she has blown it since she will have admitted she saw you AND made a judgement on your progress... but turned anyway!

Good luck

Common sense/The Truth prevails!

Third party has admitted liability, bike is literally as good as new!

Just picked it up and am very, very happy/relieved.

Phew.

Great news. Worked as it should. But what a stress the whole thing. That's half of it! Glad you're ok, bike ok and insurance ending with the right conclusion

Such a faff... and a waste of money overall (not mine, thankfully)

In the wake of this I’ve now got a helmet cam so at least I’ll have a record of what really happened should an accident recur - won’t stop an accident, but at least might make things cut and dry if there’s a next time....

That, and I’ve fancied one for a while :)

Funny how riding a tall thin Africa Twin for the past few weeks has made my GSA actually feel kinda small :)

Back
Top Bottom