OEM 1150 GSA parts...

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I had a low-speed spill today when I was knocked off by a car turning from an outside lane across the bus lane I was legally riding in to make a left-hand turn.

The bike has suffered some cosmetic damage - mainly the left-hand side rocker cover, plastic rocker cover protector and scratches/gouges to the crash bars (scuffing/scratching to both).

I’m a bit bruised and battered too, but I’ll heal.

Her car came of worse.. they build them GSes tough!

The insurance company have asked if I want to have my bike repaired and try to recover costs (I’m assuming this is if I’m found not at fault... which I should be as I did nothing wrong).

Any idea if/where one can obtain original crash bar and rocker cover parts? Do they exist or are they like hen’s teeth?

Rocker cover and oem parts from a Main dealer .... crashbar parts depend on who the manufacturer is.

Had a similar experience few months ago and same damage, all parts replaced from main BMW stealer, totaled about £900 and that was was for only 2 sections of the crash bars.

Wowser - thanks chaps - Neil, crash bars are the OE Adventure ones - both upper and lower sections are scratched

Pocket the money for new ones at take some wet/dry to your scratched ones until they’re smoothed out. They’re stainless so will take a bit of sanding down without any harm. Alternatively, let it wear the scrapes with pride...

Pocket the money for new ones at take some wet/dry to your scratched ones until they’re smoothed out. They’re stainless so will take a bit of sanding down without any harm. Alternatively, let it wear the scrapes with pride...

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm happy to wear the battle scars, but if the insurance company are suggesting/conferring that the accident might be non-fault (as, in my opinion it should be) and therefore I can have the bike repaired at no cost to me, then why not, right?

I’d be wary of ‘having the bike repaired’ by your insurers, rather than having the cash for cost of new parts/repairs.

Eight years ago I was knocked off on a petrol station by a Dutch car/caravan causing similar damage to right side of bike.

It was immediately deemed non fault as the Dutch driver admitted full liability (they’re not encouraged to lie by underwriters in other countries as we are here).

My insurers sent a big van to collect my bike and take away for repairs - them giving me the money to do myself wasn’t an option. The cost of new parts was adjudged to be just shy of £3k and they sent me a breakdown of costs.

Eight weeks later I finally received my bike back. I soon noticed there were no new parts, only used or repaired (bodged) scavenged bits, which helped explain why it took them two months.

I realised the crash repair company had pocketed the £3k and fobbed me off with parts probably sourced on here! I decided to contact them directly rather than CN Insurance to give them the opportunity to correct the error of their ways. I received a BACS payment within two hours of calling them although my steed still wears the scars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's in the hands of the insurance company's repair shop.

Coincidentally, they're only 3 miles from me, so I dropped my bike off and picked up a hire bike from them yesterday. Really professional set-up, explained what/how they's go about the 'triage', repair if required and replacement of any damaged parts with BMW OEM parts. The damage is all to parts that can be easily replaced, so should be pretty straightforward. They even gave me a tour of the facility - it's massive and a very impressive set-up.

Anyhoo, I've got a new Africa Twin to ride for the coming weeks.

I think your insurance premiums will still be affected even if is a no fault. Must still be declared on new policy when renewable. And that goes on car policies too. Its horrible to have to be penalised for no fault claims. Glad you're ok

yeah my premium will be affected regardless I guess.

The accident has to be reported no matter what and even though it wasn’t my fault, my premium will go up becuase their calculations will see me as ‘more likely to have another accident’ because I’ve been involved in one.

Doesn’t seem fair, but there you go.

But hey, the bike’s being fixed, I’m not badly injured... even if it costs me a few quid, it’s better than the alternatives.

yeah my premium will be affected regardless I guess.

The accident has to be reported no matter what and even though it wasn’t my fault, my premium will go up becuase their calculations will see me as ‘more likely to have another accident’ because I’ve been involved in one.

Doesn’t seem fair, but there you go.

But hey, the bike’s being fixed, I’m not badly injured... even if it costs me a few quid, it’s better than the alternatives.

But that forms part of your loss.

For what its worth i had a no fault claim settled recently and insurance confirmed it would neither effect my no claims or policy cost.

But they can’t say the same for every other prospective insurer when renewal time comes... You are required to declare it and the insurers can choose to interpret and assess the information in any way they wish.

For what its worth i had a no fault claim settled recently and insurance confirmed it would neither effect my no claims or policy cost.

“Likely to be uneconomical to repair”

This just seems so wrong.

I wasn’t even going to bother having the bike repaired, as it’s basically some scuffs... the kind of thing EVERY GS has... ‘scraped it against the garage wall’ kinda of scratches... nothing more.

But the accident wasn’t my fault so I thought, sure I’ll have my bike repaired thanks. It’s in otherwise in outstanding condition - only 18,000m on the clock.

But now... essentially I’ll get my bike back, I understand I’ll get ‘some’ money towards the cost of repairs, but my bike will now carry a ‘category N’ marker.

All because of some small scratches?!

I mean, I ‘get it’ - though the damage is minimal surface scratches, to repair ‘like new’ means anything that’s even barely marked gets replaced with new parts, left-hand upper crash bar, right hand upper crash bar, left lower crash bar, left rocker cover (plus new bolts and gaskets), left rocker cover guard, left pillion peg and apparently one of the pannier rails has a slight ‘mark’ (not that I could see) - all would be replaced for new. That’s well over £1000 already, plus another grand for labour - inspections, triage, engineer report, fitting, testing, then replacement bike hire, storage etc etc...

I can see how it works, but just seems so wrong for a bike that’s perfectly fine, but for a few scuffs.

Wasn’t my fault and I’ll be left with a category marker.

You live and learn I guess, but I feel gutted.

This has happened to me a couple of times. Both times I came out on top. I 'bought' the salvage (essentially the insurance company made a lower payout and I kept the bike). I used the money to 'sensibly' repair the bike with second-hand parts and refurbishment of serviceable bits.

I ended up with bikes which were worth notionally less due to the record (this will be minimal, I think, on an 1150), but this was offset by the profit from the payout. Hope this works for you. :thumb

This has happened to me a couple of times. Both times I came out on top. I 'bought' the salvage (essentially the insurance company made a lower payout and I kept the bike). I used the money to 'sensibly' repair the bike with second-hand parts and refurbishment of serviceable bits.

I ended up with bikes which were worth notionally less due to the record (this will be minimal, I think, on an 1150), but this was offset by the profit from the payout. Hope this works for you. :thumb

That doesn’t sound so bad - hopefully that’s what will happen with me :)

“Likely to be uneconomical to repair”

This just seems so wrong.

I wasn’t even going to bother having the bike repaired, as it’s basically some scuffs... the kind of thing EVERY GS has... ‘scraped it against the garage wall’ kinda of scratches... nothing more.

But the accident wasn’t my fault so I thought, sure I’ll have my bike repaired thanks. It’s in otherwise in outstanding condition - only 18,000m on the clock.

But now... essentially I’ll get my bike back, I understand I’ll get ‘some’ money towards the cost of repairs, but my bike will now carry a ‘category N’ marker.

All because of some small scratches?!

I mean, I ‘get it’ - though the damage is minimal surface scratches, to repair ‘like new’ means anything that’s even barely marked gets replaced with new parts, left-hand upper crash bar, right hand upper crash bar, left lower crash bar, left rocker cover (plus new bolts and gaskets), left rocker cover guard, left pillion peg and apparently one of the pannier rails has a slight ‘mark’ (not that I could see) - all would be replaced for new. That’s well over £1000 already, plus another grand for labour - inspections, triage, engineer report, fitting, testing, then replacement bike hire, storage etc etc...

I can see how it works, but just seems so wrong for a bike that’s perfectly fine, but for a few scuffs.

Wasn’t my fault and I’ll be left with a category marker.

You live and learn I guess, but I feel gutted.
You’ve just entered a pool of sharks. There’s an assessor, a dealer, who all need/want to make a few bob from your bike , maybe even a mechanic or two who’s hoping to buy the salvedge of your bike .
Who did the estimate ? Is it still at the dealers doing the estimate ? If so the bike will be incurring a daily storage charge, which won’t be charged if they get the repair, but will be charged if they don’t get the job i.e. you repair it yourself :D .... get it out of the dealers and get a second sensible estimate, some assessors won’t like it as they are on a commission, so the lower the repair cost the less dosh for them

Back
Top Bottom