Anyone got a 400 Burgman ??

Adventure Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bought a 2018 18 plate one today just to run around on and have to say im simply stunned at how well it goes and rides
great bit of kit smooth quick enough great on fuel and seems to be well bolted together

very impressed

I've had mine for just over 3 years & absolutely love it but jings crivvens they are NOT cheap things to service.
They need servicing every 3,500 miles & each one of mine has come in between £180 - £250.
At 14,500 miles the belt & pulley are recommended to be replaced. The Suzuki belt is just under £300 & a main dealer 14.500 mile service including belt & pulleys is getting on for £550.
I had mine serviced at a non Suzuki garage who inspected the belt & said it should be fine until at least the next service but as I say, it's potentially eye-wateringly expensive.
On the plus side if the belt should snap it won't damage the engine & the worst case scenario is a phone call to the breakdown company & a long wait for them to arrive.

I've had mine for just over 3 years & absolutely love it but jings crivvens they are NOT cheap things to service.
They need servicing every 3,500 miles & each one of mine has come in between £180 - £250.
At 14,500 miles the belt & pulley are recommended to be replaced. The Suzuki belt is just under £300 & a main dealer 14.500 mile service including belt & pulleys is getting on for £550.
I had mine serviced at a non Suzuki garage who inspected the belt & said it should be fine until at least the next service but as I say, it's potentially eye-wateringly expensive.
On the plus side if the belt should snap it won't damage the engine & the worst case scenario is a phone call to the breakdown company & a long wait for them to arrive.

I was looking at maxi scooters. This has woke me up re service charges and will now research other makes. Thanks.:thumb2

My father did 40k miles on one and another 15k on his second before having to stop riding (death).
He serviced it himself, useing cheap 10/40 oil.
Never had to do a belt.
Only negative was corrosion on bolts etc after running them through winters.

Yep. Like most things manufacturer servicing tends to be on the cautious/pessimistic side. But the non dealer garage I used does the servicing for all the Deliveroo scooters locally & reckons that the belts are usually ready for changing between 20-24k miles. T
I think it's just Suzuki who charge the earth for new belts. My local Yamaha dealer was horrified when I told him, I think their belts are well under the £200 mark.
Belts aside the servicing is, I think, horribly expensive given the frequency of them. Certainly I've spent more in 3 years keeping the Burger up to date than I have in keeping the GSA up to date since 2013.

I suppose the fact that I still have the Burgman despite this tells you how much I like her.

I’ve had a T Max of one mk or other since they first came out. A lot of the cost of servicing is the cost of removing all the bodywork . I have a mk 3 t max and the clutch went very suddenly . £500 to fix as the thing had to be really taken apart . Otherwise they are great . Great all year round and comfortable twist and go. Use mine all year round , about 8000 miles a year . Love them . Great 2nd bike to my GSA though I use it more than the GSA :thumb2

I've had a 500 T-Max for a year and it's great fun. Just before Christmas I bought a BMW C650 Sport which is even better. I wouldn't want it as my only bike but they're very capable and entertaining. I'll be doing all servicing myself

I've had a 500 T-Max for a year and it's great fun. Just before Christmas I bought a BMW C650 Sport which is even better. I wouldn't want it as my only bike but they're very capable and entertaining. I'll be doing all servicing myself

I had a C650GT for 24 hours as a courtesy bike from Bowkers a couple of years ago.
It was great fun on B roads and went well on the motorway.
I was really quite taken with it until I took it back and asked the price. £10k.:yikes
Having said that I can see me buying a big scoot one day if I have a cull in my garage.

Just like Robbo I run my TMAX as a commuter and keep my KTM for touring. It's a total hoot and I actually look forward to my commute as it's a ripper to ride. I do more miles on it than the KTM too.

I actually don't care how much the maintenance costs as it's a million times more fun than taking the car every day.

Back
Top Bottom