Spotlights - wiring question

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just picked up some spotlights for the bike,

Ive fitted the units and run the wires from the lights back to the battery.

The lamps came with a loom that had a push toggle switch in the circuit to allow the lamps to be operated independantly from the lights.

I want them to be be perma on with my dip beam.

The relay with the loom was wired as follows

Single White from the lamps to connector 87 on the relay

Three Blacks (one from lamps, one to switch & one to battery -ve) to connector 86 on the relay

One Red & One White (Red to battery +ve & White to switch) to connector 30/87a on the relay

Single Blue from the switch to connector 85 on the relay

I can see the single red and black to the battery go through the relay to the lights and switch, and when you press the button it's magic ;)

But as i dont want that, i've used a guide off the R1200 info pages and they have it set up as follows.

Single Red to battery (fused ) to connector 30
Double Black one to battery, one to lights on 86
There the same so ok there

Then they call for 2 whites to connector 87
I obviously only have one white from the lights so ok with that

They then call for a trigger wire (blue) to feed from the live positive feed in the headlamp to go to connector 85

This is the one i'm not sure of, or was it, it was a live in the original set up but because of how its wired now it looks different?

Also some have said rather than faf with the headlight circuit, you can take a switched live feed from the OBD connector, and it will do the job.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Just picked up some spotlights for the bike,

Ive fitted the units and run the wires from the lights back to the battery.

The lamps came with a loom that had a push toggle switch in the circuit to allow the lamps to be operated independantly from the lights.

I want them to be be perma on with my dip beam.

The relay with the loom was wired as follows

Single White from the lamps to connector 87 on the relay

Three Blacks (one from lamps, one to switch & one to battery -ve) to connector 86 on the relay

One Red & One White (Red to battery +ve & White to switch) to connector 30/87a on the relay

Single Blue from the switch to connector 85 on the relay

I can see the single red and black to the battery go through the relay to the lights and switch, and when you press the button it's magic ;)

But as i dont want that, i've used a guide off the R1200 info pages and they have it set up as follows.

Single Red to battery (fused ) to connector 30
Double Black one to battery, one to lights on 86
There the same so ok there

Then they call for 2 whites to connector 87
I obviously only have one white from the lights so ok with that

They then call for a trigger wire (blue) to feed from the live positive feed in the headlamp to go to connector 85

This is the one i'm not sure of, or was it, it was a live in the original set up but because of how its wired now it looks different?

Also some have said rather than faf with the headlight circuit, you can take a switched live feed from the OBD connector, and it will do the job.

Any pointers would be appreciated

I would have thought any live feed that's on with the ignition would be enough to trigger the relay if you want them on all the time.
When I put some Oxford heated grips on one of my TLS,'s I ran the trigger for the relay from the rear light. That way I could easily turn them off just by turning off the lights briefly, they then default to off.
If this is not what you are asking someone will be along soon.

Done and working ;)

Just need to tidy it up tommorow & set the throw

right faf though

Back
Top Bottom