Hello from Lancashire

Pete M

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello All,

My name is Pete from Lancashire and I'm new to the world of the GS.

I'm not new to BMWs though as my Dad has had Boxers for thirty odd years and still owns a few air heads and a Brick.

Me and the wife get out as much as we can and after ten years of FJR and S10 ownership we felt a change was needed. I own a few Ducati's so first off we looked at Multistrada's, it was good but not brilliant. Then we had a go on a Triumph Exploder and we didn't like that at all.

"Mmmm, where to next" she said, "let's try the local BMW dealer".

So we took a 1250GS TE Exclusive out for the afternoon and both of us loved it. So after the usual dealer haggling a deal was done and we picked the bike up a fortnight ago. We've done about thirteen hundred miles on it since then with trips to the Lincolnshire Wolds and to the Borders to visit my parents and show off the new GS to my Dad.

So, thanks for letting me join and I look forward to perhaps getting out for a run with you guys soon.

Pete.

Welcome Pete, I attend the Knott end cafe, on the odd shorter rideout. Enjoy the bike great machines

Welcome to the madhouse Peter :thumby:

I hope you both get loads of miles'n smiles in with that thar new 'bike o' yours :thumb2

:beerjug:

Greetings Pete & welcome to the forum....:thumby:

Enjoy your new bike, it's a good 'un.....:D

welcome to the forum and BMW ownership - Im not far from you and also do the knott end run on occasion.

Enjoy your new bike!

Thanks for the warm welcome Guys, no doubt I'll become a pain in the arse asking lots of questions, especially about the bloody TFT screen and how the hell to navigate it (It needs it's own sat-nav...lol)

Any-hoo, enough waffle, when are we out for a run?

Any-hoo, enough waffle, when are we out for a run?

I'd say it's not really that sort of site....

Yes rides between friends etc go on but are not posted openly.

Get some 50/50 tyres on if you have road tyres and we can ride over salterfell (Slaidburn towards hornby). Cracking greenlane.

I'd say it's not really that sort of site....

Yes rides between friends etc go on but are not posted openly.

Get some 50/50 tyres on if you have road tyres and we can ride over salterfell (Slaidburn towards hornby). Cracking greenlane.

Green lane's aren't really my thing to be honest.

It's as road focused GS as you could get really, PR5s will be going on when the oem boots are goosed. We bought it for touring on the continent as that's our main activity during the summer months.

We bought it for touring on and it's the biggest purchase I've ever made bike wise in fact it cost nearly twice as much as my first house purchase also scares me but fair play to you for using yours as it's intended on all roads.

You'll fit in nicely here then. Most are the same.
I don't get the whole buying an offroad capable machine to tour on but each to their own.

Green lane's aren't really my thing to be honest.

It's as road focused GS as you could get really, PR5s will be going on when the oem boots are goosed. We bought it for touring on the continent as that's our main activity during the summer months.

We bought it for touring on and it's the biggest purchase I've ever made bike wise in fact it cost nearly twice as much as my first house purchase also scares me but fair play to you for using yours as it's intended on all roads.

I'm the same - its a euro-tourer for me - managed a couple of decent trips this year, one was 2-up with the wife and one with a couple of friends.

I don't see the point in buying a quarter-ton bike and taking it off road, but each to their own!

You'll fit in nicely here then. Most are the same.
I don't get the whole buying an offroad capable machine to tour on but each to their own.

Do I detect a tinge of irony or sarcasm there?

I have a Gas-Gas EC 250 stroker if I want to ride off road, did the schoolboy scramble thing and trials as a youngster too.

As I've said previously, I got the most road oriented GS I could buy and have no intentions to make my Bovine Wind look like some Long Way Round or Down refugee.

I bought it because it was better than a Multistrada DVT or a KTM 1290 SA. The Triumph Exploder, Expirerer or even Explorer wasn't even worth a test ride.

You see I've a knackered shoulder, seriously knackered, pretty much beyond repair according to the Doctors, so it was either one of the above or pack in pretty much.

GS, 60kGS lighter than my FJR, big wide bars and a decent turn of farty sounding speed. To top it off, excellent warranty and after sales.

So there you go, my excuses for not taking it off road, now if you want to meet me somewhere on your "off road winniebago" and I'll come along on me Gas-Gas and we'll have a hoot.

If you don't want to meet, that's good too but please don't assume why I've bought into the Bovine wind thing, I bought it so I can carry on touring and riding with none BMW accessories and gear.

Do I detect a tinge of irony or sarcasm there?

I have a Gas-Gas EC 250 stroker if I want to ride off road, did the schoolboy scramble thing and trials as a youngster too.

As I've said previously, I got the most road oriented GS I could buy and have no intentions to make my Bovine Wind look like some Long Way Round or Down refugee.

I bought it because it was better than a Multistrada DVT or a KTM 1290 SA. The Triumph Exploder, Expirerer or even Explorer wasn't even worth a test ride.

You see I've a knackered shoulder, seriously knackered, pretty much beyond repair according to the Doctors, so it was either one of the above or pack in pretty much.

GS, 60kGS lighter than my FJR, big wide bars and a decent turn of farty sounding speed. To top it off, excellent warranty and after sales.

So there you go, my excuses for not taking it off road, now if you want to meet me somewhere on your "off road winniebago" and I'll come along on me Gas-Gas and we'll have a hoot.

If you don't want to meet, that's good too but please don't assume why I've bought into the Bovine wind thing, I bought it so I can carry on touring and riding with none BMW accessories and gear.

Welcome to the forum.:beerjug: I'm with you on the paved roads touring on an adventure bike thing.
More leg room, more everything room, all day comfort.:thumb
The only off roading I do on my GS is riding to my tent pitch on a campsite.:D

Back
Top Bottom