Garmin 396 – USB mode, time to connect.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wapping, sorry for all these posts on the 396... but I got a bit obsessed with learning how to use it properly :blast :bounce1 :D

Quick one:
When I connect the Garmin to my Mac, via the USB cable, it asks on the screen to go into storage mode, all good.

It then goes into storage mode, Garmin logo on the screen + computer illustration, but it takes ages (a few minutes) to appear on the computer.
I suspect it does some operations before actually going into USB storage mode, but it is quite annoying if you have to disconnect it a few times (say, you are trying new maps, or uploading and testing routes, etc) as you have to wait 3/4 minutes every time before the computer and basecamp can see it as a volume.

This happens on both my computers.

Is this happening only to me? Or is it standard (bad) behaviour.

thanks

My Mac is slow to connect to my Nav V and my Nav VI. I think it is just the way it is. Once connected, it’s fine. I can only guess that there is a lot of interplay between the device and the Mac before a connection is established. I know nothing about computers, either they work or they don’t. I don’t fiddle with them, ever.

The 660 wasn't this slow.
I'll try it on another couple of computers to see if the Mac is the culprit (I doubt).

Yes, when it is mounted as a volume all is ok.

I have a motorhome Garmin GPS, that is very fast to connect. But it has nothing on it except the latest European maps.

Tested on Linux, Windows, Mac.
Changed the USB to Mass Storage Mode (from the development menu) to no avail.

It wasn't my Mac. It wasn't the settings. It just takes time to connect to any PC.
Oh well. We'll survive. :)

Back
Top Bottom