Bit of airhead gearbox help please

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, I`m trying to fix an R65 - the gearchange pedal does not return to `normal` position after an attempted gearchange from forth to third meaning that I can`t get it into second. If I reach down and `fiddle` with the gear lever it can be done but it`s near impossible with my foot.

Any ideas on what it could be guys?

Hi All, I`m trying to fix an R65 - the gearchange pedal does not return to `normal` position after an attempted gearchange from forth to third meaning that I can`t get it into second. If I reach down and `fiddle` with the gear lever it can be done but it`s near impossible with my foot.

Any ideas on what it could be guys?

first things first...

Is the kinetic linkage and gear shift pivot assembled correctly and moving freely through its travel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think so but I’ll check in the morning. It has been working fine for a while then it started playing up - there’s been no disassembly in between.

I think so but I’ll check in the morning. It has been working fine for a while then it started playing up - there’s been no disassembly in between.

Maybe a degrease and re-grease is needed.
Fingers crossed for the easy fix.

What year is it?

Not sure, I’ll check tmoz thanks for the support guys. I’ll check the linkage tmoz - hopefully it’s just slipped but any other ideas greatly appreciated

Righto - if the cam plate return spring had failed you’d be getting the same symptom in every gear.

plenty of other things it could be but all involve pulling the box and opening it up.

Sounds like the usual problem, broken return spring.

Try turning the bike upside down and see if the gear change is ok :D... No really, it does work, it's a way of getting the bike into a driveable gear in case it's stuck in 5th or 1st gear miles away from home :D

Well that’s a great tip, I’d never had thought that would work in a million years.

Never got chance to check the linkage - just too busy - but will look tmoz.

Another issue - it suffers from all the symptoms of fuel starvation I.e. high constant speed and engine dies. Leave it for a mo and all is well!

Normally I’d say this is a blocked breather but the breather seems ok - mebbe sh1te in the tank???

Another issue - it suffers from all the symptoms of fuel starvation I.e. high constant speed and engine dies. Leave it for a mo and all is well!

Normally I’d say this is a blocked breather but the breather seems ok - mebbe sh1te in the tank???

If the breather is ok, could it be a pinch or blockage in a fuel line, so the float bowls empty faster than the fuel supply can re- fill them?

Well, linkage seems ok so it`s gearbox out - I have a Haynes but does anyone have any top tips on gearbox removal?

Well that’s a great tip, I’d never had thought that would work in a million years.

Never got chance to check the linkage - just too busy - but will look tmoz.

Could be the fuel float levels are set wrongly in the float bowls.

Could be the fuel float levels are set wrongly in the float bowls.

Thanks I’ve tried that - it’s turned out to be a blocked filter from a filthy tank!

Am hoping to get the gearbox out this afternoon - I’m thinking a spring has gone......

Well what a saga! I’m at the bit where Haynes sez ‘disconnect drive shaft (so you can remove the swinging arm and move it to the rear) but where and how do I disconnect guys? Any ideas?
a0fddd6d50f849e7c62127ad32151d69.jpg

Well what a saga! I’m at the bit where Haynes sez ‘disconnect drive shaft (so you can remove the swinging arm and move it to the rear) but where and how do I disconnect guys? Any ideas?
a0fddd6d50f849e7c62127ad32151d69.jpg

F

Simple, you use a 10mm 12 point ring spanner on the nuts, your finger is pointing to.

I’d read about compression tools and all sorts of stuff so I guess couldn’t see the wood for the trees - thanks fella :)

Yes, Undo those 4 nuts.

Brill, thanks - was kinda overthinking it there. The Haynes says I have to undo all the engine fasteners and move the engine forward and to one side to remove the gearbox - is this correct?
ce0d0862d7295f161742b4bad488974c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom