LED headlamp upgrade - sorted

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen my posts a few weeks back on fitting one of the after market LED headlamps.

I'm super chuffed with it both for light output and looks. I went for (the pseudo LC/radical version - there is now a version that is more akin to the OEM and is more plug & play I believe, but it does look boring).

Anyway, I'm now in Italy and soon I have to return to the other reality. But there's one thing that has been niggling me about the headlamp and I wanted to fix it before I saddle up for 1300 miles back. The clocks vibrated/shook a lot on the long empty stretches down here and it really irritated me. I have been determined to fix it. And I have!!

Obviously a part off my brain was working in it because I bumped into this panel grommet and knew instantly it was the answer. I haven't really documented it too well, but I think the images will explain a lot (I hope!).

In short, this new headlamp is only fixed on either side. Meaning you have to really tighten the bolts, which doesn't feel right... especially when there's a rubber washer in there. The OEM headlamp is actually supported at 3 points. The third is that central spigot that's part of the sub-frame, which also aids the OEM headlamp adjustment, I think? With this new headlamp fitted, that spigot is redundant and exposed so I kept thinking there must be a way to utilise it and stabilise the assembly...

The panel grommet is the answer. It has a hole through the middle that is 8mm dia. I drilled it out to 9mm and it just popped onto the spigot beautifully. The panel grommet needed a little modifying - I cut off the thread that would otherwise protrude through your panel. I unscrewed the grip , removed the rubber seal and cut off the 'gripper fins'. I then wound a load of ptfe tape around the male thread to make it all tighter. Then reassembled the grommet, screwing it down to its max. Loosened the bolts holding the headlamp, removing just one entirely. This gave me room to pull the headlight clear enough to push the modified panel grommet onto that spigot. Refit the headlamp, check beam... then a test ride. Yes! Totally fixed. What's more, that panel grommet offers some adjustment, which I've done, to get the correct height for the beam.

Hope this is useful for anyone contemplating firing one of these. They're really a great upgrade, but for the funky looking version, it does demand a little practical intervention.

776e2ef2aec4c14a078f8b85c9d6e949.jpg
e0d277acfd74968a6dde4f67e525cc23.jpg
430a271506547920928dcb38bcd06b56.jpg
ad2efb8c0971bbdb57403cdc74679cc3.jpg
99c8e46ef9b3453d8c87cbc7d64e44ed.jpg
0aa59973a5b38c0138d660a618f24ee8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ah. People were asking me about the beam pattern. It's a straight line. No bias on one side.

I looked into this to get the correct beam height and I was rather surprised to discover that lots of newer bikes, apparently, have a straight beam...?

Anyway here's a shot of the beam. The headlamp is about 3m from the garage door. Me on the bike, full fuel, no luggage.

d4871443c0d96072b52311eb83424af1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom