NAV5/ basecamp help please

Bengaz

Reaction score
When I send a route (simple route) to my garmin it takes about 10mins while "saving item to trip planner, calculating x%".
This is when I go on apps/ trip planner/ import.
Am I doing something wrong here, is there are quicker way to get route from basecamp to nav5 thanks?

10 minutes is a long time.

Are you using:

A. A Mac, or

B. A PC

Are you:

A. Creating the route in BaseCamp, or

B. Creating the route in some third party software, for instance MyRoute and only using BaseCamp as a medium to get the route onto your device?

Do the maps on your home computer match those on your GPS device?

Do the preferences on your home computer match those on your GPS device?

It would maybe help people to answer your question if you share the route file with us, using something like Dropbox to share it. That way people can look at it to maybe see if the problem lies in the route or somewhere else.

The quickest way to move a route from BaseCamp on a home computer into a GPS device is to drag it across. The device will then probably have to import it from its internal memory or SD card (depending on where you dragged the route to) into its ‘trip planner’ menu which might take a little while, particularly if you are asking the device to internally import several routes at once.

I have noticed that there is no hard and fast rule as to the time internal import into ‘trip planner’ takes. Sometimes it’s quick, sometimes it dawdles a bit. Sometimes I think the delay is that the device (particularly if it’s indoors) is simultaneously hunting for satellites, which taxes its brain. Switch to ‘using indoors’ mode to see if it makes any difference.

10 minutes is a long time.

Are you using:

A. A Mac, or

B. A PC

Are you:

A. Creating the route in BaseCamp, or

B. Creating the route in some third party software, for instance MyRoute and only using BaseCamp as a medium to get the route onto your device?

Do the maps on your home computer match those on your GPS device?

Do the preferences on your home computer match those on your GPS device?

It would maybe help people to answer your question if you share the route file with us, using something like Dropbox to share it. That way people can look at it to maybe see if the problem lies in the route or somewhere else.

The quickest way to move a route from BaseCamp on a home computer into a GPS device is to drag it across. The device will then probably have to import it from its internal memory or SD card (depending on where you dragged the route to) into its ‘trip planner’ menu which might take a little while, particularly if you are asking the device to internally import several routes at once.

I have noticed that there is no hard and fast rule as to the time internal import into ‘trip planner’ takes. Sometimes it’s quick, sometimes it dawdles a bit. Sometimes I think the delay is that the device (particularly if it’s indoors) is simultaneously hunting for satellites, which taxes its brain. Switch to ‘using indoors’ mode to see if it makes any difference.
Hi. It's a very simple route created in basecamp on my pc

It was importing 3 at once and searching for GPS.

Try one at a time in ‘use indoors’ mode.

As the routes are, I think, imported individually, it shouldn’t make a difference if you do several at once but you never know. It’s free to try.

Do you have lots of other routes in ‘Trip planner’ already. I can’t remember what the Nav V’s limit is. Maybe the device is having to delete a route before importing another one?

Do the maps and preference settings match?

Try one at a time in ‘use indoors’ mode.

As the routes are, I think, imported individually, it shouldn’t make a difference if you do several at once but you never know. It’s free to try.

Do you have lots of other routes in ‘Trip planner’ already. I can’t remember what the Nav V’s limit is. Maybe the device is having to delete a route before importing another one?

Do the maps and preference settings match?

Thanks for help Wapping...
no other routes in garmin.
what do you mean match perferences? Do you mean matching basecamp routing preferences with the nav5?

The preference settings, things like fastest time, avoiding xyz, etc etc should (preferably) be set the same on the home computer and on your GPS.

Can you share the troublesome route file with us, please.

Ok, now we are cooking on gas.

I have downloaded the file Franziskushöhe to alpenhotel Weiherbach and put it into BaseCamp on my Mac.

It is 292 miles, near enough a straight'ish route with a handful of via(shaping) points and three way points. It displays just fine. I changed the waypoints to shaping points, only because otherwise they may appear in my favourites. That should not make a significant difference to this exercise.

I did not recalculate the route

I dragged the file into the SD card of a Nav V, running City Navigator Europe NTU 2020.1 maps, which is the latest set of maps. It went straight in

I switched my Nav V to indoor use

I opened Trip Planner and imported the route

The import into Trip Planner was all but instantaneous

The route looks perfect. I'd be happy to ride it, straight off the bat

Summary:

Nothing wrong that I can see with the route

Nothing wrong with the route's transfer from BaseCamp on my Mac into a Nav V's SD card

Nothing wrong with the internal transfer of the route within the Nav V. The internal transfer between the device's SD card and Trip Planner, taking just moments

Nothing wrong with the route as finally displayed on the Nav V

Thoughts:

1. You seem to be able to get the route into your Nav V OK

2. If I understand you correctly, the 10 minute delay occures when the device imports the route from its internal memory into Trip Planner. What took me about 2 seconds is taking you 10 minutes. If this is a regular occurrence and happens on several 'simple' routes like this one, it suggests that the problem lies with the Nav V itself

3. Check all the device's preferences

4. Check that the map (it needs to be at least Europe South) is properly installed and selected on the device

5. Check that the device's software is up to date

6. Try dragging the route from BaseCamp straight into your Nav V. I guess you have an SD card in the device? If so drag it there

7. Switch Nav V to indoor use, just to stop it looking for satellites and slowing it any further

8. Try again.... Report back before moving on to 9

9. If that is no better, back up your Nav V to your home computer. Restore the Nav V to factory settings, a hard reset. Reload the latest maps into the Nav V and run it through Garmin Express to make sure its software is up to date

10. Go back to 6 above and work through to 8.... Report back

Over to you, Bengaz

just before I try importing again just checking the software version.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 127
That looks the same as my Nav V, which is up to date according to Garmin Express

Simulator mode on, importing one route at a time, that particular route took 8 minutes to calculate, painstaking:(

(wonder of its a bad memory card or something?)

BTW how do I turn off the GPS simulator mode?

Attachments

• e183856b-4ebb-4318-bd39-4f129f4e6350.jpg
    e183856b-4ebb-4318-bd39-4f129f4e6350.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 109
Change the SD card. Buy a decent one, not some crap rip-off copy. It does not need to be a huge capacity, 16gb tops.

From memory:

Home screen

Settings (spanner)

Navigation

Scroll down

Simulation

Indoor use

Or something like that.

Sounds like you have done it anyway.

So i dried dragging the rotes to the device internal storage instead of the SD card in the device and it took ages to go to device as it had this warning notice...

Maybe the import is taking ages because of this same error, maybe its rerouting as it is calculating?

The basecamp I am using is the version that I installed through garmin express so the map is off the nav5.

Attachments

• installed.jpg
    installed.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 105
  • version.jpg
    version.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 107
Its definately a case of recalculating the route as when I transfer the route thru basecamp direct to the built in memory of the nav5 it takes ages to transfer, this si when it is calculating the route. When I then import the route in thge nav5 it does it instantaneous.
I cant see how I have mismatched versions of city navigator as the basecamp version is from my nav5?

Attachments

• version.jpg
    version.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 99
  • nav5 version.jpg
    nav5 version.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 97
attachment.php

In this picture you have two maps installed into your home compter. CNE NTU 2020.1 and CNE NTU 2020.2

CNE NTU 202.2 is the map you have installed on your device.

I will have a modest bet with myself that the German route was created in 2020.1 which will (possibly) result in some recalculation when the route goes from your PC into your device and then into Trip Planner. That in itself should not account for a delay of eight or 10 minutes.

Delete map CNE NTU 2020.1 from your home computer and empty the trash can, you do not need it any more. Then recalcualte the route afresh in CNE NTU 2020.2 on your computer and drag it into your device. Does that speed things up?

To be honest, as I can install and run your route on my Nav V, the problem (logically at least) can only lie with your Nav V, not elsewhere. Have you changed the SD to a new fresh one yet? I think we are bulding up to hard reset time, reluctant as I am to recommend that course of action.

attachment.php

In this picture you have two maps installed into your home compter. CNE NTU 2020.1 and CNE NTU 2020.2

CNE NTU 202.2 is the map you have installed on your device.

I will have a modest bet with myself that the German route was created in 2020.1 which will (possibly) result in some recalculation when the route goes from your PC into your device and then into Trip Planner. That in itself should not account for a delay of eight or 10 minutes.

Delete map CNE NTU 2020.1 from your home computer and empty the trash can, you do not need it any more. Then recalcualte the route afresh in CNE NTU 2020.2 on your computer and drag it into your device. Does that speed things up?

To be honest, as I can install and run your route on my Nav V, the problem (logically at least) can only lie with your Nav V, not elsewhere. Have you changed the SD to a new fresh one yet? I think we are bulding up to hard reset time, reluctant as I am to recommend that course of action.
Thanks Wapping. We have now left on the route but I've taken my laptop with me. I've got fresh install from the nav5, basecamp and maps. I'm going to try eliminate the home pc then report back mate thanks again for help.

Back
Top Bottom