Hi All, new from Surrey

adm1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I will be picking up my first GS tomorrow. It's an 8 year old R1200 GS and I am rather excited.

As for me, I am a long time Harley aficionado. I won't be trading my Harleys in, but will be simply adding the GS to the garage as something different.

I like to play with spanners and tend to make my Harleys put out an awful lot more HP and torque and handle much better than when they come from the factory, but am looking forward not to have to do this with the GS! I'm also not afraid of total nut and bolt restorations/customisations on bike, but again - won't need to do this on the GS.

Anyway.....looking forward to learning lots about these bikes, putting on plenty of miles and potentially meeting some of you in the near future.

All the best,

Al.

Welcome, not the Hardleys, but to this place of chaos

Cheers fellas!

I do have a very thick skin, so fire away. Although, even on the Harleys, the only problems I have had in the last 30,000 miles or so have been a rear wheel bearing failure - and just this week a battery cell failure.

Hopefully the GS will achieve a similar service record!

Well.... I picked the bike up this morning and rode it home from Lincoln to South of Guildford. It didn't miss a beat and was great fun to ride.

Initially I was very apprehensive about the height as I am a short arse (5'8" with 30" inseam) but after a bit of practice it seems pretty manageable. On "comfort, one rider" settings I have the balls of both feet down and can easily flat foot the bike on the left if I keep my right foot on the brake at stops.

I might see if I can find a secondhand low seat, but I'll probably just ride it as is and see if I get used to it.

I'll now post all my dumb questions in the Hexhead forum...

Back
Top Bottom