Contaminated fuel?

SteveJF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A little while ago I filled up and after a few miles it was pretty clear the fuel was bad. The bike would cut out, misfire and struggled. I ran the bike nearly empty and filled up. Normality was restored.

Except sometimes the bike decides to run rough and only really responds to full throttle, which seems to clear the problem for a short while. Riding at a steady throttle and the problem never appears. Give a little welly and sometimes it comes back.

The bike is a 2010 DOHC GS. Any thoughts from anyone?

Send from somewhere, sometime, somehow...

It's a 2010 bike. How long have you had it. When was it last serviced?

Take it to a dealership or a half decent local independent and get them to sort it out. For all we know, your plugs are loose and the coil packs are on their way out.

Try adding 1L of methylated spirits to a tank of petrol, it will bond with any water in the fuel filter/tank

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Dunno about the meths but I am in agreement that water in the tank is likely, clean the tank and see what happens.

Asda Fuel Perhaps? I had megga problems with my van after filling up with theirs :mad:

Years ago 39 to b exact when I worked in a garage we regularly checked for water in the petrol. We put some blue stuff on the end of the dip rod and it changed color if water was present. JJH

I normally use Shell, Esso or BP garages. In deepest West Wales I had to use a Murco (Murky?). I was thinking water or contaminated fuel, especially as the bike stutters and looses power only for it to clear (repeat rapidly and you will sort of get the idea).

Equally, the bike in the original coils at 33k miles and I have done a throttle balance for quite some time.

I was thinking about treating the bike to a visit to Steptoe as I think he is in W London?

Send from somewhere, sometime, somehow...

Years ago 39 to b exact when I worked in a garage we regularly checked for water in the petrol. We put some blue stuff on the end of the dip rod and it changed color if water was present. JJH

The tank guages have water sensors nowadays. One of many pre-delivery and post-delivery checks is for the presence of water.

Back
Top Bottom