Keyless Fuel cap won't open now

They Couldn't replicate the fault but fit a new fuel cap as its a known fault apparently! So I hope thats my glitches over and done with .

They Couldn't replicate the fault but fit a new fuel cap as its a known fault apparently! So I hope thats my glitches over and done with .

Thats good news Tyzer, now get out there and enjoy the late summer sunshine this weekend and forget all about the issues. enjoy

I had this happen in France bought a tin of WD40 then eventually found the problem.
What it turned out to be ......I was faffing about with a pay pump by the time I'd sorted it the petrol cap had timed out after 2 mins so turning ignition on didn't do anything as it wont open with it on but turn it off and open within 2 minutes it'll be fine

I had the same happen to me in France at a motorway service station with 30 miles left. Took out the 2 front T25 bolts to open cap. Refuelled and bought a tin of WD40. Sprayed pin with copious amounts of said WD, Bingo. Cap now sounds and feels 10 times better when I open it. I believe in my case either the pin was not properly lubed from the factory and/or I know I had a couple of previous fill ups where a small amount of fuel overspilled, including on the pin. This may have washed out any lube that was there. I have now taken off the plastic tank cover to clean it and found white grease on top of the airbox. From now on I will have my pocket size can of WD on long trips and a T25 handy for all other occasions.
But I do agree with a lot of the other posts, Why should we have to put up with it on what is a very expensive motorcycle.

Nigel

It's keyless ? I did 15,000 miles on 2017 Exclusive with keyless not a single issue.Just as well I wasn't far from home,that trip to the Alps next year is definitely off I'm off in the car :D

First mistake - sold the Goldilocks. Apart from Beaver's I still think these are the best ones to have...

Had the same problem yesterday and Williams Manchester spoke to me with a fix. The problem was low fuel on a really hot day and the gas pressure in the tank was preventing the cap from opening. The fix is to press the front of the cap when trying to open the latch and it works!

thats how you should always open it,release pressure on the very small catch and pull tab back,same when closing press down at the front while holding tab then release whilst pushed down.

On mine it will not open no matter what, until i press the ignition button and turn the bike OFF
If i just stop the engine and the dash is lit up, it wont open.

2 seconds after pressing the power off.... opens every time.

Had the same problem yesterday and Williams Manchester spoke to me with a fix. The problem was low fuel on a really hot day and the gas pressure in the tank was preventing the cap from opening. The fix is to press the front of the cap when trying to open the latch and it works!

Always done that from the day I got the bike but mine still failed and was replaced under warranty, so dealer obviously agreed there was a fault.

Mine was replaced under warranty 4 months ago. They fail

I’ve got a 2019GSA and I asked my local dealership workshop about this last year as I was worried I would be stuck when touring. They said the failure rate was very high with autolock fuel caps and it was a matter of when not if so I change the fuel cap to a manual one and they coded in the key that came with the bike. It gave me peace of mind although it was quite expensive, if I recall correctly it was a good few hundred pounds.

I had one play up on a 19 plate RT earlier in the week.
It just wouldn't open. I had already pushed the bike away from the petrol pump to prevent any hold up.
Then c3-4 mins after I had given up and looking for a plan B, gave it one more go and it just easily opened.
Odd.
Since then opened each day thereafter, when time to fill up.

Interesting comment above about internal vapour pressure in the tank

If it wont open use the T25 Torx from tool kit and remove the 2 Torx bolts securing the front section of the 'ring' and the cap will open. That was how I got around it in France until it could be changed. That's how secure they are!

Mine didn't open straight away a few days ago, pressed down of the surround by the flip-up bit, at the same time as flipping and up it popped with no problem - maybe something expands/contracts a bit with temperature - a non issue for a normal level of intelligence :D

On mine it will not open no matter what, until i press the ignition button and turn the bike OFF
If i just stop the engine and the dash is lit up, it wont open.

2 seconds after pressing the power off.... opens every time.

The ignition has to be off as far as I know - must RTFM :D

Pressure in the tank? Is there a check-valve in the breather system that only will allow for air to enter the tank rather than enter and expel?

Then, why the charcoal canister that is meant to pick up fumes from the tank?

My filler cap on a 2017 exclusive (14,000 miles) failed a couple of weeks ago and was recovered to a motorad dealership. I was informed that it was not covered by the extended warranty and would cost £320 to be replaced, as you can imagine I was not very happy. Ended costing me £100 as a good will gesture from BMW. I shall not be using the extended warranty in the future as it doesn't cover KNOWN FAULTS.

Back
Top Bottom