Keyless Fuel cap won't open now

I had issues with my 2021 GS fuel cap for the first three months. First service including a software update and it has happened since. ����

I had this problem on my 1600GT, when it finally popped up I took it off, lubed the moving bits and it’s been fine ever since. Will do it again over winter.

I called Motorrad roadside assistance yesterday,tried to fuel up and cap would not open. Nice man arrived, he removed tork screws from front of the ring , which is made in two pieces. once loosened cap lifts up. fueled bike replaces screws . Not a perminant fix but worth carrying a small torx set.

So why do we have a locking fuel cap anyway if it’s that easy to open, my Bonneville just had a screw cap, no one ever drained my fuel out or put anything in the tank, peace of mind?

So why do we have a locking fuel cap anyway if it’s that easy to open, my Bonneville just had a screw cap, no one ever drained my fuel out or put anything in the tank, peace of mind?

To allow BMW to charge more for their bikes?

I've got it on mine and like other "extras" they fit as standard once you have it it's quite useful. As the GS has a plastic tank I'm not sure a screw on type cap would be possible anyway?

I called Motorrad roadside assistance yesterday,tried to fuel up and cap would not open. Nice man arrived, he removed tork screws from front of the ring , which is made in two pieces. once loosened cap lifts up. fueled bike replaces screws . Not a perminant fix but worth carrying a small torx set.

Don't you get a torx screwdriver with the mighty GS steads then. There is one as standard on RTs under the seat. Which I used when my fuel cap stuck :)

Don't you get a torx screwdriver with the mighty GS steads then. There is one as standard on RTs under the seat. Which I used when my fuel cap stuck :)

T25 is part of the GS kit under the seat.

Never had an issue on my GSs, though I've always depressed the catch on opening, and have been careful about closing it with a firm click. I presume none of the issues are arsing because folks have a tank ring on, which can cause issues if the screws are done up too tightly.

From manual:
Opening fuel filler cap
emergency release
with Keyless Ride OE

Fuel filler cap cannot be
opened.
Remove screws 1.
Remove emergency release 2.
Fuel filler cap unlocks.
Fully open the fuel filler cap.
Refuelling ( 147).

T25 is part of the GS kit under the seat.

Never had an issue on my GSs, though I've always depressed the catch on opening, and have been careful about closing it with a firm click. I presume none of the issues are arsing because folks have a tank ring on, which can cause issues if the screws are done up too tightly.

From manual:
Opening fuel filler cap
emergency release
with Keyless Ride OE

Fuel filler cap cannot be
opened.
Remove screws 1.
Remove emergency release 2.
Fuel filler cap unlocks.
Fully open the fuel filler cap.
Refuelling ( 147).

I have always closed mine the same as you do, there was a bad batch apparently. I had mine changed nearly two years ago and its been fine since.

Mine didn't open straight away a few days ago, pressed down of the surround by the flip-up bit, at the same time as flipping and up it popped with no problem - maybe something expands/contracts a bit with temperature - a non issue for a normal level of intelligence :D

A non issue , not really this is a 20k motorcycle , a premium machine. The sad thing is customers are still excepting this , what is the matter with a normal key ? , proving over decades ,look at the Tesla incident a few weeks ago with keyless entry , Thousands locked out of there own vehicle just because the app stopped working , another case of style over substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A non issue , not really this is a 20k motorcycle , a premium machine. The sad thing is customers are still excepting this , what is the matter with a normal key ? , proving over decades ,look at the Tesla incident a few weeks ago with keyless entry , Thousands locked out of there own vehicle just because the app stopped working , another case of style over substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just buy a Himalayan, problem solved and lots of pennies left for beer money.

I wonder how people close their fuel cap ? Do they bang it closed with a fist as I've seen many do ,I always lift tab push cap close then release tab with a final push down to make sure .no issues so far with sticking or not opening.

I wonder how people close their fuel cap ? Do they bang it closed with a fist as I've seen many do ,I always lift tab push cap close then release tab with a final push down to make sure .no issues so far with sticking or not opening.

Like I posted above, how you close may help, there was a faulty batch of caps, where the small ball bearing in the latch comes away, stopping the latch working. I always closed as you described, but mine failed after 3 months, got changed and has now been good for over 2 years.

I was getting my 2019 gs serviced in my local dealer here in Ireland. I mentioned to him that my fuel cap refused to open on one occasion. He had the mechanic look at it and then they replaced it under warranty. No hassle at all.
No problem with it since.

I wonder what the ratio would be ?

Problem - Tank ring fitted

No Problem - No tank ring fitted

I wonder what the ratio would be ?

Problem - Tank ring fitted

No Problem - No tank ring fitted

I have a tank ring, but haven't had it fitted. But did a trial fit and it is dead easy to over tighten, which would give issues. But as I said in my case, its a non issue, because no tank ring. Stuff breaks, there is no reason to it, BMW knew they had an issue with some filler caps, they changed the design/supplier or whatever and the new ones do not have issues apparently. Mine has been fine for 2.5 years since replacement

I left my bike in for a service and was told it had a fault stored ref the fuel cap, I told them I had never had a problem with it (2018 GSA), but was told it would have to be replaced under warranty and the software updated. So they gave me a brand new 1250GS 40th Anniversary to use and kept the bike for two days whilst they ordered in and fitted a replacement.

Ever since i've had the bike the fuel cap would not open unless you switched off the ignition and waited about 15 secs, I thought this was how it should be, as apart from the delay it never failed to unlock so I just accepted it. Turns out it should open any time ignition on or off as long as the fob is in proximity, if they had not picked up on it I would have continued to live with it. Maybe I should have read the manual in more detail:blast

I left my bike in for a service and was told it had a fault stored ref the fuel cap, I told them I had never had a problem with it (2018 GSA), but was told it would have to be replaced under warranty and the software updated. So they gave me a brand new 1250GS 40th Anniversary to use and kept the bike for two days whilst they ordered in and fitted a replacement.

Ever since i've had the bike the fuel cap would not open unless you switched off the ignition and waited about 15 secs, I thought this was how it should be, as apart from the delay it never failed to unlock so I just accepted it. Turns out it should open any time ignition on or off as long as the fob is in proximity, if they had not picked up on it I would have continued to live with it. Maybe I should have read the manual in more detail:blast

Well, on my -19 1250 GSA the manual states the following:

Quote:
The fuel filler cap can be opened
within the defined waiting time
after the ignition has been
switched off, without the radiooperated
key being within
range.

End quote.

The waiting time is 2 min. When the waiting time has expired, the cap may still be opened, but then it requires the FOB to be within range...

Had a great ride today in the Yorkshies Dales,now this has just pissed me off ! The thing is this shit could happen anywhere and I could potentially be stranded until recovery arrived ,not good and I have very little faith in this bike.

Two bolts removed with the torx that is fitted under your seat and you are sorted.

If something that simple leaves you stranded, you’re fecked if you get a puncture or god forbid ya indicator rattles itself loose :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There’s a few around here that should take to the stage rather than ride motorcycles :D

Back
Top Bottom