Keyless Fuel cap won't open now

User error ya doomed Tyzer, still think something is not communicating correctly, and it might just be a faulty fob, it has happened many times, first the no start and now this, I personally am seeing a pattern leading to a new fob coming.

I'd rather it hadn't opened so the dealer could detect the fault and fix it,I hate shit like this !

This has happened to me twice on two separate bikes. On both occasions it turned out to be the battery in the fob not giving out the optimum voltage. Very frustrating and needless to say, I could not replicate it at the dealers. It only came up when they did that jiggery-pokery stuff with the laptop. New batteries and Bob's your uncle. I even carry a spare with me now.

I was about to post this. Depending on where you store the fob, you may be increasing the distance from it to the sensor. Try holding the key fob closer to the bike seat and see if the problem is alleviated. Then change the battery anyway. Simple job, batteries cost peanuts. I keep a couple stashed on the bike. One under the seat and one in the topbox.

I'd rather it hadn't opened so the dealer could detect the fault and fix it,I hate shit like this !

Cannot remember where I seen the issue about the fob, but, it went something like this, fob was going through batteries quickly, so power was not getting to bike, guy had problems starting it, and opening fuelcap, BMW replaced fob, and all was good.

Shawn Smoak the blogger bmw mechanic in Washington USA covered this subject the other day on a keyless gsa test ride.
He found the pin mechanism on the locking fuel cap had become bent causing the problem on this delicate item and surmised it being caused by the fuel flap being bashed shut with force. He advocated lifting the flap in the initial closing and then gently pressing on the flap until a click is heard and it’s shut fully.
So don’t bash your flap shut gents !

Unbelievable,after trying all sorts last night the fucking thing opens now as normal :blast

Decided to go for a ride gone to fill up and yep you guessed it wouldn't open ,anyway I'm boring myself with these posts so I'm not mentioning it again untill it's been to the dealer.

Decided to go for a ride gone to fill up and yep you guessed it wouldn't open ,anyway I'm boring myself with these posts so I'm not mentioning it again untill it's been to the dealer.

This will probably be a thicko question, as it is coming from me, and I do not have the answer, as this is my first bike, with a plastic fuel tank, so my question to those in the know is, could the fuel tank be expanding when the bike is warmed up, and causing something to catch, it is a genuine question, so try not to shoot me to hard.

Imho Keyless is the solution to a problem which doesn't exist...........You need to take your keys with you, you want to be able to get to them quickly without rummaging around in all your pockets/bags........Why not have a little socket on your dashboard to keep your key in? :blast

faulty fuel cap

had the same problem got it replaced under good will warranty HARD TO BEAT THE OLD FASHION KEY

My 790 Duke has a key ...

Just sayin' ..... :D

My 790 Duke has a key ...

Just sayin' ..... :D

Ktm are shite too! :D. You won’t need fuel looking at this Giles!

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/790-duke/2018/

Absolutely appauling build quality in 8000 miles i have had 5 oil leaks, thermostat, thermostat housing, 2 sets of clocks, panels, rear brake assembly, warped disc, head bearings, and continuesly cutting out regardless to speed etc, subframe bolts and the loan 790 that has only covered 342 miles has an oil leak from the sump gasket and also cuts out it has spent more time in the workshop than what i have been able to ride it yet KTM says it's still fit for purpose that was when they eventually got back to the dealer after ignoring 5 emails from myself

Ktm are shite too! :D. You won’t need fuel looking at this Giles!

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/ktm/790-duke/2018/

Absolutely appauling build quality in 8000 miles i have had 5 oil leaks, thermostat, thermostat housing, 2 sets of clocks, panels, rear brake assembly, warped disc, head bearings, and continuesly cutting out regardless to speed etc, subframe bolts and the loan 790 that has only covered 342 miles has an oil leak from the sump gasket and also cuts out it has spent more time in the workshop than what i have been able to ride it yet KTM says it's still fit for purpose that was when they eventually got back to the dealer after ignoring 5 emails from myself

Oh dear ?! Well I hope your experience improves! I haven't had so much as a blown fuse in 5 years with the two last ones .... :thumb2

*Edit .... Sorry, I now see you're quoting a review, although it still could be your review .. ?

Think it's the other way round isn't it??; If the red light flashes the key ISN'T in range, or battery low in keyfob. -- so that could be your problem-- bike isn't receiving signal from key to allow cap to unlock ???

Booked in at the dealers in the morning ,see what they have to say.I want a solution to these issues so I can gain some confidence back in the bike.

Forgot to mention that thanks to this forum I now know how to get the fuel cap open if it happens again.

Forgot to mention that thanks to this forum I now know how to get the fuel cap open if it happens again.

Keep us informed and do not listen to they all do that something aint right, tell them to order another key fob if they find nothing, be firm.

Keep us informed and do not listen to they all do that something aint right, tell them to order another key fob if they find nothing, be firm.

ALSO, if they find the fault is actually the fuel cap itself, leave bike there and ride away on a demo until they have fixed it. they will fob you off with excuses we will order a new one etc, and let them, or tell em to take one off another bike there. but leave the machine with them till is right.

ALSO, if they find the fault is actually the fuel cap itself, leave bike there and ride away on a demo until they have fixed it. they will fob you off with excuses we will order a new one etc, and let them, or tell em to take one off another bike there. but leave the machine with them till is right.

Bang on, brand new bike, bloody disgrace if he gets fobbed off.

Back
Top Bottom