Suspension upgrades for the 1200/1250 your thoughs

I am 80kg and I find my 1250GS is perfectly suspended with great damping and control. It is noticeably better than my last 1200 which suffered from some wallow and insufficient rebound - although I was upto 25kg heavier when I rode the 1200 compared to now with the 1250.

Yep seems about correct, now how do I sign up the weight-watchers. ;) might be cheaper than 4k shocks.

Yep seems about correct, now how do I sign up the weight-watchers. ;) might be cheaper than 4k shocks.

It’s not cheaper having to buy new kit and clothes that fit! But better than going on insulin...

It’s all good - docs said lose weight or go on insulin! No brainer... 25kg off, blood sugars all good now, no insulin, bike handles a dream AND I got to buy new kit! :D

Even when new ??

Yup. The difference is quite marked.
The harder you ride the better it gets.

I don't think that statement is wrong, but it's innacurate. With Ohlins the harder you ride, the suspension doesn't get better... it stays consistant, which is good.

BMW suspension, even brand new, starts to get worse as you push it harder, because heat and the buildup of air bubbles in the shock oil (cavitation) cause performance failure.

So it's not that Ohlins gets better, it just stays consistant and doesn't fail when pushed hard.

You have to send your own shocks to Wilbers for them to remove the ESA gubbins from them and fit that to the new Wilbers shocks.

No, thats not what Wilbers do. They don't remove your ESA gubbins at all. They don't replace the shock either. They don't service the shock or change any internal components.

What they do is change the Spring to a Wilbers spring weighted to your specification, then fit a new Compression chamber which is adjustable, and put a Wilbers sticker on your existing shock and hand it back to you. So if your shock was fooked when you gave it to them.... it'll still be fooked when they give it back to you. As only the spring was changed.

Only on pre-2013 bikes did they change the shocks.... not on the newer bikes.

TOURATECH (tractive) EXTREME shocks....

Now they use their own Stepper Motors, with larger diameter rod, their own shock with internals, and fully serviceable, no compression adjustment, new spring weighted to your specification, and anti-cavitation technology plus heavy bump stops. Fully ESA compatible, so a very good replacement option.

I don't think Touratech use any of the original parts....

But its expensive.

I don't think that statement is wrong, but it's innacurate. With Ohlins the harder you ride, the suspension doesn't get better... it stays consistant, which is good.

BMW suspension, even brand new, starts to get worse as you push it harder, because heat and the buildup of air bubbles in the shock oil (cavitation) cause performance failure.

So it's not that Ohlins gets better, it just stays consistant and doesn't fail when pushed hard.

No, thats not what Wilbers do. They don't remove your ESA gubbins at all. They don't replace the shock either. They don't service the shock or change any internal components.

What they do is change the Spring to a Wilbers spring weighted to your specification, then fit a new Compression chamber which is adjustable, and put a Wilbers sticker on your existing shock and hand it back to you. So if your shock was fooked when you gave it to them.... it'll still be fooked when they give it back to you. As only the spring was changed.

Now they use their own Stepper Motors, with larger diameter rod, their own shock with internals, and fully serviceable, no compression adjustment, new spring weighted to your specification, and anti-cavitation technology plus heavy bump stops. Fully ESA compatible, so a very good replacement option.

But its expensive.

Nice one Warlord explains things simply, ps CPJS has a TT rear shock only on his bike. ;) he reckons that is plenty enough to stabilise the ride.

But its expensive.

Think you will find they have low and high speed compression adjustment running alongside the ESA damping system with the addition of pre load adjustment and spring choice ( hence the Hi Low option to fine tune the spring rate. )

But its expensive.

Think you will find they have low and high speed compression adjustment running alongside the ESA damping system with the addition of pre load adjustment and spring choice ( hence the Hi Low option to fine tune the spring rate. )

Cheers Stick and the tyres how where they, eagerly awaiting also.

Warlord, the TT shock still uses the DESA so as you ride harder the damping adjusts and you can adjust the hi/low compression to your taste.
Whilst not perfect it is much better than std keeping the flexibility of the original.

But its expensive.

What a load of horse shit.Wilbers are a manufacturer of shock absorbers primarily.If you send your units in they will fit the ESA "gubbins" to a new spring and damper.

What a load of horse shit.Wilbers are a manufacturer of shock absorbers primarily.If you send your units in they will fit the ESA "gubbins" to a new spring and damper.

Phone them, and ask the question dumbo.... I did, and they don't change the ESA shock. Because they can't touch the ESA rod, or damper, or internals.

Do it. Then report back here.

Warlord, the TT shock still uses the DESA so as you ride harder the damping adjusts and you can adjust the hi/low compression to your taste.
Whilst not perfect it is much better than std keeping the flexibility of the original.

Oh ok, that makes sense. Yeah, it's a nice setup.

Nice one, :thumb2

Maybe for the 1250 in a few years then. ;)

Yeah.... I don't think I'm going down that road. I'm happy with Golidilocks. It's a very good machine for what I want it for.

What I'd rather do with my money now, dare I say it, but buy another bike... probably a KTM 790 Adventure R

Yeah.... I don't think I'm going down that road. I'm happy with Golidilocks. It's a very good machine for what I want it for.

What I'd rather do with my money now, dare I say it, but buy another bike... probably a KTM 790 Adventure R

Why not looks like a nice funbike, no use wearing blinkers like some. :D

Why not looks like a nice funbike, no use wearing blinkers like some. :D

Life is for the rich tapestry that it delivers. You've just got to be open to accept that :D

I think the Goldilocks suspension would be ESA with the 3 mode throttle settings with 3 damping settings and D-ESA auto preload with a TT shock.
That would keep me happy.
I bet some electrickery wizzo could make it happen as it is all there in the ecu.
BMW won't have changed anything more than the minimum with updates.

Back
Top Bottom