Battery terminal

Purplegerbil

Reaction score
The battery on my bike is a little tired so I figured I would remove it and try giving it a charge rather than just replace it, I'm not sure how well this will work as it looks to be the original.
I have removed the tank but am stuck with the negative terminal. The positive was just a bolt and easy to undo whereas the negative has a but on one end but the side holding the strap to the terminal has no head, it is just a flat disc but is screwed through the terminal. Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging it ?
I am planning on cutting a slot in the threaded side so I can use a screwdriver to undo it.

I will try to add one later, unfortunately its down my workshop the other side of town.

I have a couple of photos, just got to work out how to upload them.

Upload the photo to Google pics, Flickr, Photobucket or similar and link using the 'insert image' icon (3rd from right, above)

Thanks for that.
Fortunately it won't be necessary, turns out I was being an idiot !
Having tried to undo it using locknuts and pliers and also prising it from the terminal with a screwdriver I was going to cut a slot in it to undo it with a screwdriver but just before doing that I put a nut on it and gave it a tap with a hammer and out it popped. Turns out it was just very tight and what I was trying to undo was actually part of the terminal end of the lead. I feel like a right dick now !

I had thought the terminal was threaded as the positive terminal bolt would only come out by being undone with a spanner rather than just pushing out.

Glad you solved it. Be sure to search 'battery' in this section if you find you need a new one. My favourite was Motobatt until one failed (on another bike) after a couple of years. They did replace it under warranty, mind. Others' recommendations may differ... ;)

Edit: Before you change the battery, check the starter - the magnets on the Valeo units can come unglued and jam the starter.

Last edited:
We have all been a Dick Head at some time doing something silly or not checking the obvious!!!

The battery seems to be OK, just needed a charge although I am still a bit skeptical. Will plug it back in and see how it goes.
I can get a good deal on dynavolt batteries, I have used these In the past but not really kept hold of anything long enough to comment on longevity.

I've had expensive batteries that don't last; I've had cheap ones that do!
I had an exide one in my 1150 that lasted over 10 years. Also, I think the life does depend on how you use the bike and how you look after the battery. If I wasn't going to use the bike for some time, it would be connected up to an Optimate in the garage.

Back
Top Bottom