Mid Wales and Snowdonia September

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning a short trip in the next week or two which will take in Hay-on-Wye from Gloucester direction, then possibly over the Brecons to Aberystwyth, then up over Snowdonia, possible via Lake Bala. Will be doing the obligatory Horsehoe Pass/Ponderosa and staying with a mate who runs a biker friendly B&B in Llandudno on mates rates (applies to whoever joins me). Whilst there, will be riding around the Great Orme nature reserve, doing the castle tour, with Caernarfon on the cards, and also possibly Porthmadog, and taking in all the minor roads around Snowdonia itself (some cracking rides there). Possibly a 2 to 4 day trip. Let me know if interested. Best weather seems to be this coming week but willing to brave it next week, leaving Sunday if deferred until then.

Had planned this with a few mates, both of whom have had to cry off at very short notice with work related issues hence the short notice.

Weather looks good this week...any takers? Probably chugging up through Wales Wednesday :beerjug:

Thanks g00ner. I'll be setting off Thursday, finding a pub/b&b Bala way possibly then continuing around Snowdonia and perhaps horseshoe pass/ponderosa Friday before heading back. Have to cut it a bit short as a hospital appointment's taken priority. A few days away is better than none in the last of the reliable weather...especially where North Wales is concerned! 25th/onwards seems a bit iffy weather wise but fine if dressed for...may not be too bad? Enjoy if you do decide to take a spin then.

Cheers, just choosing between Morvan region France to join a few mates riding enduro but the crossing adds to costs or heading Somewhere in the UK - Snowdonia or Applecross maybe. Weather will decide

Cheers, just choosing between Morvan region France to join a few mates riding enduro but the crossing adds to costs or heading Somewhere in the UK - Snowdonia or Applecross maybe. Weather will decide

Weather not looking good here after next week but saying that it may turn good again in a few weeks. End of September definitely looking dodgy. I'm off in the morning, going via Leominster, then either via Bishop's Castle cross country up to Dolgellau and up to Llandudno, or the A5 up to Betwys-y-Coed and on to Llandudno.

I’ve just been out to the Ponderosa today, bone dry roads and 17 degrees. Anything that doesn’t include rain in Wales is a result. Enjoy your adventure.

I was out today .. weather was great .. and looks good for next few days :thumb2

If your passing via chester / A483 ... kettle is always on.

Wales for us this weekend. Brew stop bets y coed. Then Up to over the Llanberis Pass, turning South at Caernarfon towards Barmouth , weather looks superb

Just landed in Llandudno after an epic day of riding in glorious sunshine. Other guys can only do an overnighter so if anyone else wants to meet up for a ride into the valleys around Snowdonia tomorrow give me a shout...Planning on returning Saturday. Bike returned 63mpg which has me confused...I never get that on shorter trips...more like mid 40's. Could only potter today though due to very slow riders in the group so thats probably helped.

Great that you had good weather. That’s quite a trek, how many miles did you do today?

I was out yesterday on a route around Raven Cafe, Pontblydden, Penn-y-stryt, Nant-y-Garth pass (twice :)), Ponderosa, Bangor on Dee (about 190 miles). Today would’ve been better with the nicer weather but her indoors had booked me to take her on a route around Dunelm Mill, DFS, The Range, and Alan Ward. Despite being horrendously expensive it wasn’t nearly as much fun.

Seems like there was a few of us about the area this week, I really should’ve paid more attention to the forum and got myself organised to join up with some of you. Oh well, there’s always next time – weather and wives permitting :rolleyes:

About 200 miles off the beaten track but with a few elderly guys who wouldn't ride over 45 to 50. It took a long time with stops! To make it more entertaining I went ahead to enjoy stretches of road but kept having to stop and wait for them to catch up. Note to self...go on own next time!

Back
Top Bottom