Anybody stayed at Vannes?

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A few of us are thinking of going to Brittany for a week next May and I am looking at Vannes as a possible location.

Has anybody stayed there?
Is it a place with historical character?
Any recommendations for a hotel? Would prefer something olde worlde with character rather than a chain hotel such as IBIS.
What would you recommend to visit for a day out?

Many thanks.

Vannes is ok but Auray is much nicer.Not stayed there but visit regularly and have lunch down by the port (Goustan).

Took Nutty there a while back.

8b288bc505577e53b94fa397efc1ea22.jpg

Lovely place to have a beer or a meal and people watch.
Lots to do from that area.Quiberon is nice,as is Concarneau though gets busy in season.
I can recommend the L’Escale for lunch in Lochmariaquer sat alongside the water.

cc6661c8e8c28a07225e3d4990417bee.jpg

Been there a few times most recently as a stopover after a late ferry. We used the Ibis Styles by the station - smallish rooms but has the advantage of an undercover reasonably secure garage around the back. Vannes has a few nice bits - you can get lost walking around the old town shops and there's a half-decent market. Plenty of street cafes etc especially down towards the waterside. There's some old gardens around the old town walls, and a bit of a walk from the town past the marina towards an aquarium (not been there though). Vannes is best used as a base to explore the area - as Arsey says there's some smaller & nicer places around. Bear in mind it can be a bit of a tourist trap and quite often hosts fairs, fetes and other events so might be worth checking the events calendar for your dates.

Take the D767 from Guingcamp all the way to Vannes
The Kyriad is better located closer to the port, has off street parking

Auray is lovely (as mentioned here) we tried to drive into Vannes last year. After being stuck in traffic 45 mins to make the last bit into the town, i turned round, went back to Auray for the 2nd time ;-)

Vannes is ok but Auray is much nicer.Not stayed there but visit regularly and have lunch down by the port (Goustan).

Took Nutty there a while back.

8b288bc505577e53b94fa397efc1ea22.jpg

Lovely place to have a beer or a meal and people watch.
Lots to do from that area.Quiberon is nice,as is Concarneau though gets busy in season.
I can recommend the L’Escale for lunch in Lochmariaquer sat alongside the water.

cc6661c8e8c28a07225e3d4990417bee.jpg

thanks for the pics,looks nice! a trip next year for sure

Back
Top Bottom