knocking feeling

Spline grease: as I understand it, the grease is effectively just a carrier for the molybdenum it contains. It's the residual molybdenum that's important. If it's sliding freely, all is good.

missed that boat it was costing 450 quid for the year so id thought id take a chance they offer it before the original warranty runs out but I had a look at it took all off greased the drive shaft at the gear box side couldn't get the shaft off the final drive side cos its seized solid with rust if bmw just used some decent grease this wouldn't happen

hello folks

I posted a few messages about a knocking feeling coming up though the seat it turns out that the shock is done hurst motorad are gonna apply for a goodwill fix from bmw but they said it could be repaired for 450 quid if bmw refuse the bike is a September 2017 bmw 1200 gs lc adv with 25k on it and no off road use ever I honestly think that's a bit early for giving problems like that plus the final drive was replaced about six weeks ago under good will at a cost of 2500 pound which I had to pay 450 pound a new shock is 1800 quid ,I have this machine from new didn't realise a bike cost 16k could give so many expensive problems ……….anyone got any advice would be much appreciated
many thanks Pat

hello folks

I posted a few messages about a knocking feeling coming up though the seat it turns out that the shock is done hurst motorad are gonna apply for a goodwill fix from bmw but they said it could be repaired for 450 quid if bmw refuse the bike is a September 2017 bmw 1200 gs lc adv with 25k on it and no off road use ever I honestly think that's a bit early for giving problems like that plus the final drive was replaced about six weeks ago under good will at a cost of 2500 pound which I had to pay 450 pound a new shock is 1800 quid ,I have this machine from new didn't realise a bike cost 16k could give so many expensive problems ……….anyone got any advice would be much appreciated
many thanks Pat

Pat I see on here member called denzo fix shock for very cheap.

Rear paralever to bevel box bearings , needle roller lasts about 2 years or so

Hi Neil

In relation to this, I need to pick your brains...

My 2016 GSA with 26k miles drives fine with no discernible play in the FD. However, what I notice is that when riding over roughly surfaced roads, especially on a closed throttle, I can feel every ripple of the road up through the bike / footpegs etc. On a positive throttle it's not really an issue.

I'm talking about otherwise smooth roads with a poor surface finish. Do you reckon that the bearings you mention could be the cause fo this ?

My previous TC GSA never gave a sensation like that.

Thanks

Fergus

Hi Neil

In relation to this, I need to pick your brains...

My 2016 GSA with 26k miles drives fine with no discernible play in the FD. However, what I notice is that when riding over roughly surfaced roads, especially on a closed throttle, I can feel every ripple of the road up through the bike / footpegs etc. On a positive throttle it's not really an issue.

I'm talking about otherwise smooth roads with a poor surface finish. Do you reckon that the bearings you mention could be the cause fo this ?

My previous TC GSA never gave a sensation like that.

Thanks

Fergus

Just take the control arm off (one bolt) and wheel.. and see if you can find any play in the bearings. It's quite obvious when they have gone....

hello folks

many thanks Pat

There are people/places now that can rebuild them. Some are on this forum. I'm sure someone will come along. Meanwhile, I would be pushing the dealer to do the right thing and replace that shock or at least pay for the vast majority of it.

Just take the control arm off (one bolt) and wheel.. and see if you can find any play in the bearings. It's quite obvious when they have gone....

I did that. bearings seem fine.

Must be a combination of the tyres, metal footpegs, shock absorber etc. Bike is a 2016 GSA basic (no ESA)

Shocks front and rear in perfect condition.

It's a strange one.

Anyone else get that rough feeling coming from the back end over poorly surfaced roads, especially on a trailing throttle ?

Thanks

Must be a combination of the tyres, metal footpegs, shock absorber etc. Bike is a 2016 GSA basic (no ESA)

It's a strange one.

Anyone else get that rough feeling coming from the back end over poorly surfaced roads, especially on a trailing throttle ?

Thanks

It’s been discussed on here before and other forums as well. Some get it in all gears but in 4th on a neutral throttle is most common. I think it’s generally viewed as inherent in the design rather than a fault as many felt it from new. It’s not unique to the gs either. All models using the same drivetrain/suspension setup have similar reports.

Thanks for that.

Glad to hear it's normal on the LC. Never had it on my TC or Hexhead 1200s.

Cheers :beerjug:

For fear of being ridiculed... I think we notice these subtle things more at this time of year as we tend to ride more sedately and in higher gears due to the road conditions. I have been feeling this a bit too and the more I think about it the more I notice it. I also wondered (I'm going to hell for this) if the cold caused the tyres to be a bit harder causing less damping for vibration? I dropped my tyre pressure a tiny bit the other day and seem to be getting less 'feedback' as I do seem to feel the change of every road surface acutely at this time of year (I don't reach speeds that particularly warm the tyres up over here).

Just my tuppence worth........

Just had the rear shock refurbished before I chopped it in. Was a 2014 GSA with 32k miles on the clock. The lads at Firefox Racing in Keighley carried out the work and are a great bunch of lads. Cost £370 and that was them removing the shock, refurb and refitting.
My local dealer, Lloyd Motorrad Carlisle, were only going to replace the shock and as mentioned previously it's very expensive. Forum members on here recommended Firefox to me and I can pass on the same info. Well worth the trip down at 05:30 when it was -3 for most of the way.
Good luck with the repair!

hi neill

knocking problem still here been to hursts mottrad they tell me the rear shock is blown and have applied for a good will fix would need it at 1880 quid would you please tell where these pins are cos I'm not mechanical minded

many thanks Paddy

It's a strange one.

Thanks

I have a long commute on my 2018 1200GSA and on anything other than a glass smooth road surface , I get exactly those symptoms you describe.

I have a long commute on my 2018 1200GSA and on anything other than a glass smooth road surface , I get exactly those symptoms you describe.

I currently have Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs fitted which have quite stiff sidewalls. Am changing to Metzler Roadtec 01s in a couple of weeks so if the feeling improves I'll let you know.

Cheers

I currently have Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs fitted which have quite stiff sidewalls. Am changing to Metzler Roadtec 01s in a couple of weeks so if the feeling improves I'll let you know.

Cheers

I’m running roadtecs and I can still feel it. It’s not bad or frequent enough to bother me, but it’s there.

Back
Top Bottom