KTM 790 Adventure R as a mainly road machine?

rjsmith26

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently ride a 1200GSA and also a Duke 390.

Have been considering downsizing / weigh reduction on the GSA for a while.

Have test ridden the 790 Adventure - seems impossible to get any test ride on an R.

My impression of the std 790 was that the engine was great (rode a 790 duke and loved the engine in that also), however - being 6'3" sitting on the standard 790 just felt wrong (I felt more at home on my duke 390 if i'm honest).

Add to this I found the suspension on the standard 790 Adv horrible - the 790 Duke felt far better.

So to the question. How many of the 790 R riders on here are about my height? and with it have you managed to sort a screen your happy with to have a comfortable run up a motorway for 2-3 hours?

Also I am guessing that the 790R (from just sitting on one) rides so much better in the suspension dept than the non "R: version and due to the extra suspension travel etc the seating position is much better for tall folks? (I have had a 690 enduro R in past and from sitting on it the 790 adv R seems like a similarly spacious position with more grunt and a less vibey motor).

If i go for an 'R' I am most likely to run it as a mainly road machine - most folk keep saying - if your gonna do that - then get the non R - but the seating position and suspension on my test ride of a non R means this is a no no as far as I am concerned. Part of me thinks should I really be considering a Duke 790 instead - but I would prefer more upright seating and better weather protection (if this can be achieved on a 790 adv r?).

Thoughts please?

Currently ride a 1200GSA and also a Duke 390.

Have been considering downsizing / weigh reduction on the GSA for a while.

Have test ridden the 790 Adventure - seems impossible to get any test ride on an R.

My impression of the std 790 was that the engine was great (rode a 790 duke and loved the engine in that also), however - being 6'3" sitting on the standard 790 just felt wrong (I felt more at home on my duke 390 if i'm honest).

Add to this I found the suspension on the standard 790 Adv horrible - the 790 Duke felt far better.

So to the question. How many of the 790 R riders on here are about my height? and with it have you managed to sort a screen your happy with to have a comfortable run up a motorway for 2-3 hours?

Also I am guessing that the 790R (from just sitting on one) rides so much better in the suspension dept than the non "R: version and due to the extra suspension travel etc the seating position is much better for tall folks? (I have had a 690 enduro R in past and from sitting on it the 790 adv R seems like a similarly spacious position with more grunt and a less vibey motor).

If i go for an 'R' I am most likely to run it as a mainly road machine - most folk keep saying - if your gonna do that - then get the non R - but the seating position and suspension on my test ride of a non R means this is a no no as far as I am concerned. Part of me thinks should I really be considering a Duke 790 instead - but I would prefer more upright seating and better weather protection (if this can be achieved on a 790 adv r?).

Thoughts please?

I have a 790R. I’m 6ft and have the screen from the S fitted. I get buffeting at speed but don’t anticipate putting a bigger screen on.

I also wouldn’t expect 2 up would be comfortable at all for me or the pillion. In fact I had a pillion in Iceland for 5 minutes and if it wasn’t for his curious way of holding on it would have been a no go.

Max single ride duration is probably around 300miles and had a numb bum. Knees were okay and wrists / fingers still had sensation.

I haven’t ridden an S but would use an R for 2 up.

I'm not your height, 1.8m, but do intend to use my 790 Adv R mainly as a road bike. I bought the R over the S because of the suspension, seating position and I found the S quite uncomfortable.

The stock screen is good but I wanted less wind for motorway runs and Euro schleps. I've just fitted an S screen - the lower position was awful for me, far too much buffeting. The higher position is better but at 70+ there's still buffeting which for sustained motorway runs would be very uncomfortable. I've just ordered the PUIG adjustable deflector to see if I can tune the buffeting out. Being a motorbike there will always be a degree of buffeting and most certainly wind - I'm just trying to eliminate/reduce the discomfort for me.

I'm not your height, 1.8m, but do intend to use my 790 Adv R mainly as a road bike. I bought the R over the S because of the suspension, seating position and I found the S quite uncomfortable.

The stock screen is good but I wanted less wind for motorway runs and Euro schleps. I've just fitted an S screen - the lower position was awful for me, far too much buffeting. The higher position is better but at 70+ there's still buffeting which for sustained motorway runs would be very uncomfortable. I've just ordered the PUIG adjustable deflector to see if I can tune the buffeting out. Being a motorbike there will always be a degree of buffeting and most certainly wind - I'm just trying to eliminate/reduce the discomfort for me.

Thanks - Please keep me posted on the Puig screen if you don't mind - are you keeping the tyres or going more road orientated?

I have a 790R. I’m 6ft and have the screen from the S fitted. I get buffeting at speed but don’t anticipate putting a bigger screen on.

I also wouldn’t expect 2 up would be comfortable at all for me or the pillion. In fact I had a pillion in Iceland for 5 minutes and if it wasn’t for his curious way of holding on it would have been a no go.

Max single ride duration is probably around 300miles and had a numb bum. Knees were okay and wrists / fingers still had sensation.

I haven’t ridden an S but would use an R for 2 up.

Thanks Joe - much appreciated and very useful info.

Conversely I changed my tyres to off road !

I have the standard model as I didn't need the R capability off road. I have a cheap wind deflector which helps enormously. Had to get extra padding for both parts of the seat as it's shite as standard. Got conti trail attack 3's which refuse to let go even at high lean and are wearing well so I'd swap to those for pure tarmac use as the wheels are the same size.

TBH I don't find the stock non adjustable suspension any worse than the EDS system on my 1190

I have the standard model as I didn't need the R capability off road. I have a cheap wind deflector which helps enormously. Had to get extra padding for both parts of the seat as it's shite as standard. Got conti trail attack 3's which refuse to let go even at high lean and are wearing well so I'd swap to those for pure tarmac use as the wheels are the same size.

TBH I don't find the stock non adjustable suspension any worse than the EDS system on my 1190

If you don't mind me asking - how tall are you and which wind deflector are you using?

Have you tried Premier for a Test Ride, they normally have most bikes on the demo fleet.....

Also have you not considered a 1290 Adventure, about 50KG lighter than a GSA which is significant.

I find the 790 feels a bit cramped for my 34" inside leg, and the R is no roomier as it is same chassis, it just sits on bigger wheels and longer suspension, so leg room is the same.

I suspect the 790S suspension could easily be improved, it has no electronic BS so you could fit an Ohlins / Nitron etc and get the forks reworked by MCT (Who have sorted many bikes for me and Mrs) or MH Racing (I think they are near you)

The R probably has way better suspension, but off road wheels, same dilemma I had with 1290, I would prefer the quality suspension they fit to the R's, but with the road wheels fitted to the S, although the 1290S at least is adjustable to some degree and works fairly well - until it wears out and you need to spend a billion quid to replace it, as opposed to a £75 service on an R model shock.

Have you tried Premier for a Test Ride, they normally have most bikes on the demo fleet.....

Also have you not considered a 1290 Adventure, about 50KG lighter than a GSA which is significant.

I find the 790 feels a bit cramped for my 34" inside leg, and the R is no roomier as it is same chassis, it just sits on bigger wheels and longer suspension, so leg room is the same.

I suspect the 790S suspension could easily be improved, it has no electronic BS so you could fit an Ohlins / Nitron etc and get the forks reworked by MCT (Who have sorted many bikes for me and Mrs) or MH Racing (I think they are near you)

The R probably has way better suspension, but off road wheels, same dilemma I had with 1290, I would prefer the quality suspension they fit to the R's, but with the road wheels fitted to the S, although the 1290S at least is adjustable to some degree and works fairly well - until it wears out and you need to spend a billion quid to replace it, as opposed to a £75 service on an R model shock.

Wheels on the 790 S & R are the same at 21/18 - so your theory about wheel sizes or tyre choice doesn't hold true

With the R you get better suspension as standard

I asked Andy on Saturday, and he said the R is selling so fast, they won’t put a demo bike on. Any they get in are getting sold as soon as they arrive.

Thanks for this - yes been to Premier but no R on the demo fleet according to Andy until at least the middle of next year.

Re 1290S - yes have test ridden one, I always ride with a top box on pretty much most bikes I ride as use it for a lot of my travel requirements, I test rode a 1290S and maybe I just had a bad bike (with top box) but stick it on the motorway at my normal cruising speed and the bike was way all over the place with what felt like a rear end weave which then unless you wound power on got worse and worse. I think also if I was looking at a 1290s sized bike I would probably bring a 1250gs into the mix - loose some of the gsa bulk and weight and maybe I would re-gel with it? Although on the other hand if I want light maybe I should include a Duke 790 with a screen and cruise control.

I note a few comments about R models being - every one sold, no demo's, however I see some dealers are cutting prices on them - including the R at £11400 instead of £11999, maybe the Tenere 700 is going to cast a shadow on the KTM due to the price gap - does seem strange a Duke790 is best part of 2k less than a Adv 790. Just a thought, maybe there will be R's on demo at some point soon?

Oh, I assumed the S would come with a 19" as the 1050 / 1090 / 1190 / 1290 S models all had. A shame as I was considering a 790 Adventure as a 2nd bike / commuter / Holiday bike for the Mrs - but think the 21" wheel will really hamper it on the road, be perfect for me with a 17"

You defo had a bad 1290S, I have clocked almost 6k on mine with 3 Euro trips to the Pyrenees, Tarn Gorge, Gorge Du Verdon, Grand Alps, Ardennes and Luxembourg, plus UK rides on all types of roads and mine is impeccable on all surfaces even when loaded with panniers - I have a small set of Holans for Lads trip and a huge set of Givi's I fit when the Mrs comes along.

I cruise at less than 100mph so if your trying to hold a steady 140 perhaps they may get a bit unstable?

I have topped 3 figures with panniers, but not tried going flat out, but my 1190 would do 120 on the Autobahn with the huge panniers OK (but would wallow at just over a ton on "comfort setting) I think he 1290 is a bit more stable as the front end is a lot firmer than the 1190 so would expect it to get to a higher speed before weaving, and if using the KTM panniers it has a floating system to help with stability.

I have the top box fitted at all times so would notice if that caused any issues, again it certainly has not at speeds I ride at.

Only thing I would say about cruising is that top gear can be a bit lumpy below 60 mph, OK on a flat, but on an incline 5th works better, but if someone does not know how to use a gearbox correctly they should not be allowed anything other than a scooter!

I think the Tenere 700 will have a big impact on the 790, especially the S, the R does have top notch suspension, and the S gets proper bargain basement stuff, it may be good out of the box, but no adjustment means it will only be good out of the box for riders of average weight, and drift further from good as you add luggage and or pillions.

I think the R should be at least a grand cheaper and the S at least 1500 less - although they might well be if KTM still have a warehouse full of them in December.

Oh, I assumed the S would come with a 19" as the 1050 / 1090 / 1190 / 1290 S models all had. A shame as I was considering a 790 Adventure as a 2nd bike / commuter / Holiday bike for the Mrs - but think the 21" wheel will really hamper it on the road, be perfect for me with a 17"

You defo had a bad 1290S, I have clocked almost 6k on mine with 3 Euro trips to the Pyrenees, Tarn Gorge, Gorge Du Verdon, Grand Alps, Ardennes and Luxembourg, plus UK rides on all types of roads and mine is impeccable on all surfaces even when loaded with panniers - I have a small set of Holans for Lads trip and a huge set of Givi's I fit when the Mrs comes along.

I cruise at less than 100mph so if your trying to hold a steady 140 perhaps they may get a bit unstable?

I have topped 3 figures with panniers, but not tried going flat out, but my 1190 would do 120 on the Autobahn with the huge panniers OK (but would wallow at just over a ton on "comfort setting) I think he 1290 is a bit more stable as the front end is a lot firmer than the 1190 so would expect it to get to a higher speed before weaving, and if using the KTM panniers it has a floating system to help with stability.

I have the top box fitted at all times so would notice if that caused any issues, again it certainly has not at speeds I ride at.

Only thing I would say about cruising is that top gear can be a bit lumpy below 60 mph, OK on a flat, but on an incline 5th works better, but if someone does not know how to use a gearbox correctly they should not be allowed anything other than a scooter!

I think the Tenere 700 will have a big impact on the 790, especially the S, the R does have top notch suspension, and the S gets proper bargain basement stuff, it may be good out of the box, but no adjustment means it will only be good out of the box for riders of average weight, and drift further from good as you add luggage and or pillions.

I think the R should be at least a grand cheaper and the S at least 1500 less - although they might well be if KTM still have a warehouse full of them in December.

The Tenere 700 has top notch KYB suspension

Proper Cartridge forks - instead the Xplor stuff on the 790R

Fully adjustable forks for compression, rebound and preload
Rear is fully adjustable KYB shock within hydraulic preload, rebound and Hi/Lo compression

More than a match for the 790R in that department

Yamaha haven't skimped on suspension on the T700 and fitted decent manual suspension and left off crap like modes and traction control

I have the R. I’m 6’1”.
It’s fine with standard screen at speed.
I prefer the clean air over me than buffeting with a tall screen . Same reason as many fit the 1290R screen to the 1290S.

Suspension is brilliant. Ignore Johnny Tightarse. The 790 is in a different league to the cheap Jap crap.

Just change the OE tyres for Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs and you’re good to go .

I have the R. I’m 6’1”.
It’s fine with standard screen at speed.
I prefer the clean air over me than buffeting with a tall screen . Same reason as many fit the 1290R screen to the 1290S.

Suspension is brilliant. Ignore Johnny Tightarse. The 790 is in a different league to the cheap Jap crap.

Just change the OE tyres for Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs and you’re good to go .

Have you ridden a T7 yet?

I have ridden both and whilst the 790R has more go, the T700 is a better balanced and matched bike - for it's chassis and engine

Anyhow, you're currently riding around the Alps, on some Jap Crap...............aren't you:beerjug:............Evskiij is on a proper bike though;):p

Great pics by the way, love your choice of camping:thumby:

If you don't mind me asking - how tall are you and which wind deflector are you using?

I'm 5'10 with a 32"inside leg. Stock S screen on tallest setting and a cheap £15 perspex spoiler off ebay. The metal clamp is way over the top for size of the spoiler but it doesn't flap around as much as you might think.

I ride with a Givi 52ltr topbox with no issues. However, having the massive Touratech panniers did cause a bit of a weave above 90mph with a pillion. Probably not a good idea to test that out but I got fed up waiting behind a GSA in the Picos...

Back
Top Bottom