Returning to BMW, should it be air cooled or LC R1200RT.

S8DOW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After selling my GS and defecting to Triumph for a short period, I'm returning to BMW and looking at an R1200RT for two up touring. My GS was an LC but never owned an air cooled, it was just too tall when touring with my wife plus struggled with luggage. Are the LC R1200RTs worth the difference in price or are the air cooled just as capable, if not better than the early LCs. Advice please?
Higher mileage older LC or a mint low mileage air cooled is what it boils down to?

I recently had to make the decision whether to go with an early LC GS Adventure with 24K miles or a mint 2013 TC with 6K miles. Based on what was said on here I went for the 2013 and so far it's been great. I know it's not an RT but engines are the same afaik.

I would just ride both. I regularly ride an 07 RTP and have also put 100os of miles on a 2010 RTP. Both bikes ride well, the 2010 was a step up from the 07. I owned myself a 2014 RT and put 20k on it in 3 years, it is a different experience, the bike is a lot more nimble and very comfortable, toured all over with my wife who was always pleased with the bike. I have now traded for a 1250 RT. But if I couldn't have afforded a LC, I would have been quite happy with any of the others. They all have various issues though, from dodgy fuel strips to sticking exhaust flaps on the LCs. But I have never been disappointed and love them.

I thought the air-cooled engine would be phased out because of emissions regulations. Then the nineT was introduced, sold like wildfire and the air-cooled engine continues.

I agree with Casbar's comments.

Like casbar said, both would do, they are wonderful bikes for touring. Protective, but nimble, fast enough (just) to be exciting, slow enough to not terrify the living daylights (such as the various 200bhp kwak monsters).
From the two choices, you dont mention which air cooled....? For me, I would skip the leggy early 2014 LC bikes (I personally never ever buy a first issue model) and go for a mint TC. I think running gear of those 2010/13 bikes is very nice indeed and they have a better top end than the earlier versions. I think 09/10 had a lot of electrical/switchgear gremlins (although by now they should either be sorted or it wont affect them if not), so I would go for the lowest possible mileage/cleanest (no bubbling rust) 12/13MY I could get.

If you like torque - buy the LC , big big difference. Pay money - take choice , both good.

Don't rule out a late, higher mileage, well looked after oil air ie 2012 /13. You'll pick one up at a bargain price and they're superb touring machines - especially 2 up. I recently sold my (just) sub 40k 90th Edition, full Beemer s.h. RT in immaculate condition for a measly £5.6k on fleabay.

That said...as others have said, blag rides on both because the lc is a smashing bike too, especially when they're fully loaded with all the trimmings.

All comes down to personal preference and of course how much moolah you wanna splash.

looking at an R1200RT for two up touring.
Surely, what it boils down to is which one grabs your heart. Ride them both with and without your wife. Both bikes are good. But for me the Hexhead / Camhead (pre LC) bikes are so ugly that I just couldn't live with it. The LC on the other hand really does it for me. None are as pretty as the 1100 / 1150 RT's but there ya go!

Surely, what it boils down to is which one grabs your heart. Ride them both with and without your wife. Both bikes are good. But for me the Hexhead / Camhead (pre LC) bikes are so ugly that I just couldn't live with it. The LC on the other hand really does it for me. None are as pretty as the 1100 / 1150 RT's but there ya go!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as it goes. I always thought the 1100 with the little square headlight was one of the ugliest touring bikes ever made. Well made though. But yes the LCs are prettier than the origami styled hex.

Aircooled or LC R1200RT

All,

Thanks for your replies and having rode a close friends LC and then viewed an exceptionally mint low mileage 90th edition I bought the 2013 air-cooled. Moolah was a key factor as it's not my main bike however I'm very pleased with it and it will fit the bill for touring plus solo days out.

Shaun

Back
Top Bottom