performance car bulb as a bike bulb ?

DR268

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
GS1150

headlights are piss poor as we all know, cant be arsed with these fancy conversions to HID

looked in Osram and Philips, both make big claims on 100% plus extra brightness etc so must be a bit better than the yellow rubbish I have.

Both dont list a H1 for a bike, I assume their bike bulbs are better with vibrations or something.

Can I assume most here fit these brighter claiming car bulbs with no issues ?

Both these seem much of a muchness
Philips X-treme Vision Halogen Headlamp H1
Osram Night breaker H1

I've always used regular bulbs for my bikes and never had any issues. I didn't even realise they made bike specific bulbs. I would also recommend the Bosch Plus 90 range which tend to be a bit cheaper.

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

A bulb is a bulb,

Any car bulb of the correct seat type can be used in either bike or car.

There is however a caveat, the Osram night breakers are superb bulbs, and offer a big improvement over stock

However they generate the imoved light quality by a) burning hotter than the std bulb, this reduces the bulb life by upto about 40% and the increase in heat , can lead to the light reflector going milky ealier than expected

have you looked at LED's

I think the Osram for bikes is the "Night Rider"
They are supposed to handle the vibration better.

Sent from a U11

GS1150

headlights are piss poor as we all know, cant be arsed with these fancy conversions to HID

looked in Osram and Philips, both make big claims on 100% plus extra brightness etc so must be a bit better than the yellow rubbish I have.

Both dont list a H1 for a bike, I assume their bike bulbs are better with vibrations or something.

Can I assume most here fit these brighter claiming car bulbs with no issues ?

Both these seem much of a muchness
Philips X-treme Vision Halogen Headlamp H1
Osram Night breaker H1
Seriously, change to hid or preferably led, you won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

A bulb is a bulb,

Any car bulb of the correct seat type can be used in either bike or car.

There is however a caveat, the Osram night breakers are superb bulbs, and offer a big improvement over stock

However they generate the imoved light quality by a) burning hotter than the std bulb, this reduces the bulb life by upto about 40% and the increase in heat , can lead to the light reflector going milky ealier than expected

have you looked at LED's

over what period does it start to effect the the reflector ? years ?

is there a make of leds that fit straight in and give the correct beam pattern, I looked into those but they seem a bit hit and miss on quality

I dont ride at night a lot but when I do I like to see and when my mates say they know its me following as I am the one with yellow lights its maybe telling me something

plus I want to be seen by idiot car drivers

plus I want to be seen by idiot car drivers

Then please don't use overly bright bulbs. All you're doing is causing glare and hiding your actual approach speed. They might realise 'something' is there, but all they can see is light, no details, and they have no inclination to look further. I've been that driver - I've had GSs (always GSs) with 3 sets of LED/HID 'riding lights' steam up behind me, completely hidden behind the light - I've no idea what you're doing, where you're going, and I can't look into the mirror because it's blinding.

:(:(

By all means add lights to improve the full-beam - I do this on my Rocksters (same lights as the GS), but don't for one second think that extra lights help you 'be seen'.

If you're worried about being seen - ride as if you're not visible - take control of your safety yourself.

:)

I have an uprated bulb in my GSA headlight - Phil Reynolds fitted it I think, certainly it was in before I bought it off him. It is excellent and has withstood the test of time. I can't see a fancy, being any better, I have HID dip on the overland bike, 1200 lights fitted - the GSA is equally as bright and the bulb is a 'normal' fitment instead of having extra gubbins to make it work. If that is of any help. I believe it is a Phillips. I can't remember - is it difficult to get out and change? Not done one for about 15 years!

Back
Top Bottom