Halvarsson's Prime Jacket

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been looking around for a second jacket that is more comfortable to wear in winter and which doesn't rely in a removable waterproof liner (I don't like having to wrestle the things over gloves every time) and also which comes down a little lower on the back than my RST Adventure pro 3 jacket. Good as the RST is (and few jackets are armoured as well, irrespective of price), I prefer using it with all the air vents and mesh panels opened as a well armoured summer jacket. It's one of the few I've owned which is comfortable even on the hottest days. It's also a warm jacket with the liners in but you can't zip the trousers to the top and stop water from coming in around the midriff as the zip prevents the liner from coming down lower...it has to be unzipped from the trousers. Many jackets using removable waterproof liners are like this which is a shocking oversight.

Long story short, I looked at Rukka, Klim and a few of the usual suspects before settling on Halvarssons Prime Jacket. There are some great deals for them presently and it offered everything I needed. Rukka I think are over priced and having owned Rukka gear in the past I don't really rate them as worth twice or three times more than the lines of the Halvarssons or even some of Revits clothing lines. I also wanted a jacket with an outlast lining, built in waterproofing/breathable layer and an outer that wasn't as open weave as the 600 denier of the heavyweight RST jacket so wouldn't absorb water as readily and which should stay relatively proofed with some DWR spray applied externally. Goretex is good but too hot in summer and some alternative linings these days are almost as good if not better in warmer weather. I don't like the stiffness of laminated shells either. The Prime jacket ticked all the boxes so I duly acquired one in a size 54 which at 5ft 8 and a 44 chest, fitted me perfectly with enough room for a fleece jumper underneath if needed. I already have a Halvarssons long sleeve mesh base layer which is excellent.

Fit is longish which I prefer. It's more a 3/4 length cut and the arms in particular are very long but with enough adjustment to wear them over or under gloves quite easily. No back armour supplied but I will use the CE level 2 back armour from my RST anyway which fits straight in. Armour in the shoulders and elbows is good and the jacket is better made than the RST which I expected. It's also lighter and very comfortable to wear so I can see this as becoming my firm favourite touring jacket. Two large main lower waterproof pockets and I like the magnetic flap closure...very nifty! Inside there's a removable outlast lining and permanent WP breathable liner under the main mesh liner. There's also a good size waterproof wallet/phone pocket.

It comes with a removable Hi Viz bib which I have attached so there's no excuses for not being seen and has a handy map pocket at the rear. Zips are top drawer in quality and stitching is neat. The one surprise is that the storm flap hasn't a full length velcro closure. I would have rather seen rubberised pop fastners than intermittent, thin looking velcro closure patches. We'll have to see how that affects water proofing but other than that, this is a seriously good jacket and a contender for what is probably the best textile jacket at the price currently available.

I bought mine from On Yer Bike where it's currently down from £489 to just £299 and at that price it was a no-brainer. Highly recommended. You pay more for some lesser second hand jackets in well used condition! It also zips into any of the Halvarssons trousers using a 3/4 length zip but I don't know what others its compatible with. Not RST anyway. It's not a problem if it doesn't zip in for weather protection due to the generous low cut and shape, and I can't see it readily riding up in the event of an off with the side adjusters firmed up a bit especially. If your trousers need support to walk around, you'd want to wear braces if not zipped in. Mine don't.

thanks for the write up. Been looking around as my rukka is in for repairs/warranty as we speak. May indeed need this info later.

I've also got some Halvarrson's gear, and agree with Morety, - but I couldn't write that much, or so well :D , but it is good stuff at good prices. Had mine for a couple of years now and it's been 100% waterproof.

I've also got some Halvarrson's gear, and agree with Morety, - but I couldn't write that much, or so well :D , but it is good stuff at good prices. Had mine for a couple of years now and it's been 100% waterproof.

Good to hear that after several years it remains water-tight :thumb2.

now just to find the matching trousers and add it to my Christmas list.

Yep, got those too. Just make sure you get the right length. They have S, M, & L

My spare suit is the Prime Jacket and Prince Trousers (I think that's what the trousers are called) - both brilliant, both 100% waterproof. I wash it in the tech wash stuff and once dry spray it with Fabsil waterproof spray.

First thing I did was spray the new jacket with TX Direct spray from Nikwax. Probably not needed but can't hurt.

My spare suit is the Prime Jacket and Prince Trousers (I think that's what the trousers are called) - both brilliant, both 100% waterproof. I wash it in the tech wash stuff and once dry spray it with Fabsil waterproof spray.

my prince trousers leaked horribly this last trip. Has been a good six years though. Washed and re proofed since back but not had torrential rain to see if its fixed..

Put through it's paces on a 400 mile round trip this week. Without doubt, it's one of the best thought out, most comfortable bike jackets I've ever owned. Chilly early morning starts and only a tee shirt needed under the Outlast zip-in layer. When things got a tad warm, that magic Outlast stuff you'd have thought would have been insufferably hot but no...it's like witchcraft...how does it know?! Ventilation could be better though. The two measly arm vents were all I could find on the front of the jacket...may have been another vent under the hi-viz bib I don't know but that was left in place. Had the rear vents open the whole trip. Pockets really well thought out, zips are fantastic and easy to grip even with gloved hands.

You've got to hand it to Halvarssons, they know how to make a first class jacket.

A good spraying with a decent DWR will keep it from becoming waterlogged and if it’s anything like the two Halvarssens jackets I’ve owned it’ll be waterproof for years. The zips that hold the Outlast liner in are a bit small/weak and I’ve found that the trim around the cuffs can get a bit tatty over the years but if I ever need a replacement I’ll not be looking at any other manufacturers.

A good spraying with a decent DWR will keep it from becoming waterlogged and if it’s anything like the two Halvarssens jackets I’ve owned it’ll be waterproof for years. The zips that hold the Outlast liner in are a bit small/weak and I’ve found that the trim around the cuffs can get a bit tatty over the years but if I ever need a replacement I’ll not be looking at any other manufacturers.

Hi Andy

Yes, already treated mine with Nikwax DWR. The weak point to me looks like the velcro quality, epecially on the cuffs. I can see me having to replace the velcro in a year or two but other than that, I've found the clothing line that I reckon I'll stick with.

thanks for the write up. Been looking around as my rukka is in for repairs/warranty as we speak. May indeed need this info later.

Awesome news for me. My Rukka will be replaced

Dear Mr Smith,

Thank you for submitting your jacket for evaluation. We have reviewed your case and have decided to replace it with the same style and brand under our GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY promise so that you can continue to enjoy the benefits of GORE-TEX.

In order to be able to initiate any further steps, I need a confirmation from you that you agree with the exchange of your jacket. If your model is no longer available, we will, after consulting you, find an equivalent model for you. We will dispose of your leaking jacket on the spot.

I am looking forward to your reply and I wish you a nice day.

Best regards,
William Leenderts
GORE-TEX Brand Services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my prince trousers leaked horribly this last trip. Has been a good six years though. Washed and re proofed since back but not had torrential rain to see if its fixed..

Mine did too, all around the Crotch Area.
Turns out the Waterproof Membrane has split in places.
I didn't buy them new but they looked to be as good as new when I got them.
Turned out they were nearly 5 years old so their general Good Looks appear to way outlast their ability to remain Watertight!!

Hi Andy

Yes, already treated mine with Nikwax DWR. The weak point to me looks like the velcro quality, epecially on the cuffs. I can see me having to replace the velcro in a year or two but other than that, I've found the clothing line that I reckon I'll stick with.

Fully agree on the weak point being the Velcro. I took mine back and they replaced it all with stronger stuff....I was amazed when they claimed it was not a known problem. Since then I have had the pants replaced because of leaking at the crotch and I am now at the point a few months later where I willl have to have the Velcro done on them.....it’s poor. Other than that I love them.

Back
Top Bottom