insurance woes!

brummy bloke

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi chaps. ordered a 1250gsa, asked for a quote from my usual insurer for cover and got a bit of a shock when he quoted £1170 with 350 excess for 7000 miles a year!!! I'm a 52 year old, past my test 36 years ago,IAM first, IAM car,no convictions. any suggestion as to who to call for cover?

Compare the market is your friend. My current insurer is Bennett’s, they’ve quoted £750 on a new GSA Rallye, cheapest on compare is £240 !

Hi chaps. ordered a 1250gsa, asked for a quote from my usual insurer for cover and got a bit of a shock when he quoted £1170 with 350 excess for 7000 miles a year!!! I'm a 52 year old, past my test 36 years ago,IAM first, IAM car,no convictions. any suggestion as to who to call for cover?

Try lexham been good so far

Welcome to my world. My last GS was over £1,500 and I'm expecting my 1250 to be nearer £2k - it was nearly £300 to change from 1200 to 1250 with 6 months to run.

IAM/RoSPA gold - makes little or no difference. No convictions either.

Rallye was £7k

I tried all the comparison sites.

Need to move to Haydock...

Did you not think to get quotes first :D

Before you tipped a bucket load of cash into BMW's pockets again :D

Surety don't seem to understand how much bikes cost now !

Hastings have got good comments on here before.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I live in Walsall, am 52 years of age, IAM Member for 30 years on car and bike. I don't have multi-bike insurance, so this bike is registered as having only 2 years NCB

I know it's not the same bike, but as a comparison.... My Africa Twin DCT fully comprehensive is £106 insurance premium and £450 excess.

Insured through AXA Insurance. Now that's CHEAP.

No way would I pay £1100 for bike insurance, that's NUTS :blast

Have you tried motorcycle direct? Never had to make a claim but always competitive.

Same here, I rode to dealers after placing a deposit on a new in stock R1250GS Rallye Te and in agreeing to the deal and wanting to ride home phoned my insurance to change from my R12Gs to the new ride and was told it would be an extra £100 for the 3 weeks remaining and excess would be £600 instead of £250 :nenau so I payed up just to get going, however on phoning round on renewal I matched my previous annual premium but still had to except a bigger excess of £500 eventually by my insurer price matching bikesure who in hind site actually did offer a better deal, but hey there’s always next year. The moral of the story is shop around I’d say and you’ll find there’s deals to be had but the new breed of GS is more expensive to get cover on for what ever reason.

The answer is shop around. Insurance companies rely on people just paying up at renewal time. Never do auto renewal. I’ve had good service from Principal. I’ve found AIG the best for my car and have been with them a good while now. Then again the market is very different here in Ireland. JJH

Comparison sites

My advice FWIW is actually check what they are including in the policy allegedly free of charge because it isn’t.
Had been with MCE for last 7 years as consistently best price/features for the two bikes. Selling both and going to one they were exactly the same as BMWs own quote but, MCE include a whole host of “features” you won’t use ie uninsured loss recovery & breakdown cover (as covered by BMWs own during the warranty period) ask them to take it off and they will but they wont reduce the quote. They automatically increased my quote to include European breakdown cover (which I have covered on an annual travel cover) but again wouldn’t reduce the quote.

Hastings were great, included what I wanted and needed but didn’t include stuff I didn’t want (this was how MCE was when I started with them). Only asking for what I needed saved on the quote but ensured that the grown up conversation was had about what I actually needed rather than what they wanted to sell me.

It might well pay you to cancel your existing policy and take out another policy elsewhere. I've used the bikeinsurer comparison site before to get a quote then see if IAM surity will beat it a d if not go with the comparison site (I've swapped from IAM surity to Hastings direct via tbi). Your problem may well be down to the value of your new GSA as a fair few either hike the premium massively or won't quote on bikes worth more than 15k.

as mentioned a few times ,you have to shop around, the only thing that stops this is,if you change mid policy. Im with bennets and changed mid policy ,well i had 46 days remaining of a paid up policy , to change to a 1250 they wanted £44.00 this was £34 admin and £10 difference in the cost !!! I was more than happy with that but didn't tell them that ! Told them to drop the admin fee ,requite for a full new policy to run when this policy has run out ,," can't do that sir !!! " so told em to fuk off and I won't be renewing.....Supervisor comes on and " we will half the admin for you sir so its now £ 27.00 to let the policy run out ! result !

I have just had a quote from IAM Surety for the next 12 months at £174.00 ,I have IAM Masters etc Pr4 Postcode, full no claims. Im letting them sweat on that , but I know I won't get cheaper .

It does seem from what I read the 1250 has been more expensive to insure than the 1200, so well worth getting quotes before you buy, to see the difference .

Back
Top Bottom