insurance woes!

These 1250 GS are becoming uninsurable in urban areas - at a reasonable cost

I pay £330 for 2 GS Adv and a host of other dirt bikes

Hi chaps. ordered a 1250gsa, asked for a quote from my usual insurer for cover and got a bit of a shock when he quoted £1170 with 350 excess for 7000 miles a year!!! I'm a 52 year old, past my test 36 years ago,IAM first, IAM car,no convictions. any suggestion as to who to call for cover?

Luke 14:28

There’s a dedicated insurance section within UKGSer, where it’s clear that this is nothing new. The section also reveals:

A. That for every 10 bods saying their insurance is skyrocketing, there’ll be two or three saying that theirs is tuppence

B. That an insurer / broker that suits one bod, is absolutely useless for another

C. That the only way to get something that suits you and not some other bod, is for you to get very busy on the internet and phone. You’ll find that there are few if any shortcuts.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/437-Insurance

Have you tried the IAM's insurance associates ?

I have 3 bikes insured with them on 2 different policies and I’ve found them very competitive and most pleasant to deal with.

Really? I had a quote yesterday on The Bike Insurer & MCE were cheapest including "Riding Abroad".

Edit looking into it it's 3rd party cover though.

I bought from them 28 July and it was no longer available. My prev policy with them had it. This policy not. Maybe it’s bike specific

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke 14:28

There’s a dedicated insurance section within UKGSer, where it’s clear that this is nothing new. The section also reveals:

A. That for every 10 bods saying their insurance is skyrocketing, there’ll be two or three saying that theirs is tuppence

B. That an insurer / broker that suits one bod, is absolutely useless for another

C. That the only way to get something that suits you and not some other bod, is for you to get very busy on the internet and phone. You’ll find that there are few if any shortcuts.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/437-Insurance

Add D. For every bod that says his insurance covers XY and Z, they’ll be another bod who says his doesn’t and visa-versa

Just renewed my insurance.

My 3 bikes are on a multi bike policy with Lynbrook Brokers (www.lynbrookins.co.uk) with ERS insurance. Been with them for about 8 years now and although I always contacted many companies at renewal time, no-one has come close enough to change. When I tried the comparison sites for 3 individual policies, the average cost was almost double!

Worth a try although some of my friends haven't found them competitive. All depends on your personal details

Mike

Add D. For every bod that says his insurance covers XY and Z, they’ll be another bod who says his doesn’t and visa-versa
Morning Wappers,

Can you clarify something for us all.

Does a motor insurance policy not have to provide cover for all of the EU, and is it not to be at the same level as you have in your own country ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

By convention and since the introduction of the Freedom of Services (FoS) provision, a standard UK Motor policy is (in most cases automatically) extended to provide the minimum Third Party Legal Liability (TPL) as required by law, into the EU states and sometimes into some non-EU countries (as specified on the certificate) where a reciprocal agreement exists. Good examples of reciprocal countries might be: Norway and Switzerland. The details are all on the insurance certificate.

This FoS may well end or be extended or suspended or replaced by something (or nothing at all) when and if we Brexit. Contact your insurer / broker for details as to how they intend to deal with it. Those with a memory longer than yesterday’s episode of Home and Away, will recall the old Green Card system we used to ‘enjoy’. It may be coming back in some form or another. If it does, suck it up, it’s the will of the people.

The TPL extension is not to be confused with things like Breakdown, Fully Comprehensive Insurance, Personal Accident cover and the like, sometimes bolted onto conventional Motor policies. See your policy for full details. If in doubt, ask your insurance provider.

By convention and since the introduction of the Freedom of Services (FoS) provision, a standard UK Motor policy is extended to provide the minimum Third Party Legal Liability (TPL) as required by law, into the EU states and sometimes into some non-EU countries (as specified on the certificate) where a reciprocal agreement exists. Good examples of reciprocal countries might be: Norway and Switzerland.

This FoS may well end when and if we Brexit. Contact your insurer / broker for details as to how they intend to deal with it.

The TPL extension is not to be confused with things like Breakdown, Fully Comprehensive Insurance, Personal Accident cover and the like, sometimes bolted onto conventional Motor policies. See your policy for full details. If in doubt, ask your insurance provider.
Thank You,

As I understood it, a green card increased your level of cover to the same across the EU and other places.

Hopefully that's correct ?

Another thing that awaits resolution.

In most cases, the Green Card only evidences that the driver of the vehicle has appropriate (minimum as required by law) TPL cover in the countries detailed on the green sheet of paper, between the dates shown. Nothing more.

Read your Green Card - in conjunction with your Motor policy- for details. If in doubt, contact your insurance provider.

Read your Green Card - in conjunction with your Motor policy- for details. If in doubt, contact your insurance provider.
Exactly.

I know I'm covered for Scandinavia, EU and parts of Africa, plus got US and Canada added.

If you don't ask, you don't find out the correct information.

Back
Top Bottom