Granny on the Silk Road/Pamir Highway

Thanks Yarkto I think we are good for Almaty to Dushanbe route, and it’s really any thoughts on interesting places and routes after we leave Tajikistan and enter Kyrgyzstan again that I was after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picking up rental DR650s in Almaty on 14 May and heading up to Dushanbe to spend 10 days there and then exiting to Kyrgyzstan - the rest of the itinerary is fluid other than returning the bikes to Almaty 12 June.
So all itinerary suggestions gratefully received 🙏😁
Are you doing the Wakhan Valley Simon?

That’s the idea I think

We went Uzbekistan/Tajikistan at Penjikent, though the Tunnel of Death and on to Dushanbe. Then Kalikum, Khorog and into the Wakhan, Langar, past the Yamchun Fortress with its incredible views over the Hindu Kush, Murghab (where Mad Max goes for his holidays) Sary Tash, Osh, Oson, Bishkek, Almaty.

Khorog is a good place for a rest day, in a beautiful setting with the Panj river flowing though the middle.

The initial ascent from Langar is challenging but fun and the desert section after it and before you join the Pamir Highway is spectacular.

The route from Murghab to Sary Tash - especially the 15 mile, muddy no-man's land between Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan is something else. It snowed when we were there - in June!

As part of of your planning, using the map on GE, it is a straight forward matter, Simon, to identify those places of interest to you, copy their co-ords, create waypoints and make a gpx file to load on your satnav- even adding proximity alarms if required.

As part of of your planning, using the map on GE, it is a straight forward matter, Simon, to identify those places of interest to you, copy their co-ords, create waypoints and make a gpx file to load on your satnav- even adding proximity alarms if required.

Thinking navigation will be from my phone (Garmin doesn’t seem to do a Central Asia map?) but welcome any suggestions from you or others (Richard?) on what’s best (eg Maps.me?) to use on the bike.

Thinking navigation will be from my phone (Garmin doesn’t seem to do a Central Asia map?) but welcome any suggestions from you or others (Richard?) on what’s best (eg Maps.me?) to use on the bike.

If it's an iPhone Pocket Earth with it’s heavily compressed Open Source Mapping is a good choice

IMG_5423.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom