Grabby 1250 clutches?

Mulcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The first time I rode my new 1250 GSA as I left the dealers I thought I felt a very slight clutch grab right at the very end of engagement. I put it down to my imagination or maybe me not being used to the bike yet.

As the days went by I kept feeling that slight grab but I told my self “it’ll bed in”, it’ll be OK, I’ll ask ‘em about it at the first service.

But it’s not “bedding in”, if anything it’s getting slightly worse – it’s nowhere near as nice, smooth and progressive as the (original) clutch on my 37,000-mile Tiger. On occasion, if I’m not concentrating on masking the grab when setting off I’d describe it as sharp. Just topped 600 miles now and it’s booked in for first service on Friday.

This is my first BMW, are they “all like that”?

The first time I rode my new 1250 GSA as I left the dealers I thought I felt a very slight clutch grab right at the very end of engagement. I put it down to my imagination or maybe me not being used to the bike yet.

As the days went by I kept feeling that slight grab but I told my self “it’ll bed in”, it’ll be OK, I’ll ask ‘em about it at the first service.

But it’s not “bedding in”, if anything it’s getting slightly worse – it’s nowhere near as nice, smooth and progressive as the (original) clutch on my 37,000-mile Tiger. On occasion, if I’m not concentrating on masking the grab when setting off I’d describe it as sharp. Just topped 600 miles now and it’s booked in for first service on Friday.

This is my first BMW, are they “all like that”?

Have you tried all the different settings on the clutch, I found my 1200 a little snatchy, let it out all the way, furthest setting, nice and smooth now.

My current 1250 is my first BMW and I'm also feeling the slight snatch at the end of the clutch travel. I thought that it was just me and I don't notice it all the time.

See how you get on after the 600 service as with an oil change and now without the run in worries that some have you can now thrash the barsterd and all will vanish.
I hope , I only say this as I had similar with the pre 600 but now with the 6000 + miles she has now , smooth as silk.

I'm on almost 3000 miles and it's still there, hopefully will disappear over time like you say though.

Intriguing, I have a 750GS on loan. When you pull the clutch in all the way there is a slightest click I can feel. Bike is new with quick shifter.

It’s rather disconcerting that a clutch would be grabbing on a brand new bike – they’re supposed to be perfect FFS, that’s why we buy a brand new one!

What do you reckon the mechanical cause is: clutch basket out of true, clutch plates not truly flat (don’t want to say warped because that word (for me) has connotations of user abuse), or some other deeper mechanical malaise?

Having never owned a bmw before my GS, I did find the clutch bite odd at first. I had a demo 850 last week whilst mine was serviced and that was more like every other bike. A few people I have mentioned to have adjusted the pushrod for a different bite point which they found helps

Back
Top Bottom