Sena Evo 20s - need some help

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need some help from those if you with experience if the Evo 20s.

Bought one of these for my spare helmet. Got it from Sports Bike Shop, where I've always had a good experience.

Got the unit from them, fitted it into the helmet only to discover the voice control didn't behave (I already have a Shoei Neotec 2 with the SRL fitted - so think I know what to expect).

Sports Bike Shop has taken over a month to return the unit, with an answer that nothing is wrong with it. So I'm trying it now.

It seems the voice control only works if you first tap the unit. Is this correct? With the SRL I just say "Hello Sena" and follow with my instruction. I expected the same 'always listening' functionality from the Evo 20s.

Is it right that the unit has to be tapped first, to 'wake up' the voice control? I'm sending it back if the answer is yes. Makes a joke of voice control if that's how it works.

Thanks for any advice!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Page 34 from the owners handbook:
The voice command of the 20S EVO allows you to operate certain operations by simply using your voice. You can control the 20S EVO completely handsfree using the voice recognition. The voice command function works only with English commands. Voice Command Procedure: 1. There are three ways to enter the voice command mode. The simplest way is to tap once on the Ambient Mode Button. Another way is to double tap the surface of the 20S EVO or the helmet surrounding the 20S EVO. Be careful not to press the Jog Dial during this process. Lastly, you can say, “Hello Sena” during standby mode. 2. Speak a voice command from the table below:

I have the 20S Evo - not sure if this helps (I do not use voice control)

If you have the Sena app on your phone, take a look at the settings and see if the voice activation is enabled?

Page 34 from the owners handbook:
The voice command of the 20S EVO allows you to operate certain operations by simply using your voice. You can control the 20S EVO completely handsfree using the voice recognition. The voice command function works only with English commands. Voice Command Procedure: 1. There are three ways to enter the voice command mode. The simplest way is to tap once on the Ambient Mode Button. Another way is to double tap the surface of the 20S EVO or the helmet surrounding the 20S EVO. Be careful not to press the Jog Dial during this process. Lastly, you can say, “Hello Sena” during standby mode. 2. Speak a voice command from the table below:

I have the 20S Evo - not sure if this helps (I do not use voice control)
Thanks for this . But you read the manuals? You can't be a real man . Lol. I'm kidding of course.

Ok. So I need to understand what 'standby mode' is. I would understand it as switched on but doing nothing. So what happens when is already doing something? You're obliged to tap the unit it would seem.

The SRL is 'always listening'. I never have to touch it... so if music is playing or the radio is on, I just use voice control to stop it...

Is looks like it'll have to go back. Having to tap the helmet defeats the whole point of it - IMO

The SRL works so well and all the talk of it just being a 20s re-housed to fit the NeoTec 2 would seem to be wrong...

If you have the Sena app on your phone, take a look at the settings and see if the voice activation is enabled?
Thanks. Just checked. It doesn't actually seem you can switch the voice control on/off...

Back
Top Bottom