Exhaust identification

Hogie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
37c8109683df5b7b57499115e1c50c85.jpg

The exhaust on the right I removed from my bike as the bracket that the pillion foot rest mounts to fractured badly and I don’t think can be repaired. Does anyone recognise it? Is it a Keihan unit and if it is does anyone know if Keihan have changed the pillion footrest Mount to something more substantial like the OEM exhaust in the left of the photo.
If it isn’t a Keihan silencer, does anyone recognise it?
David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The front looks a bit like the Staintune which was on my G/S when I bought it.
Including the Cracks.
You are probably right in that it would be difficult to repair, I had mine rewelded but it cracked again PDQ.

Cracks are not always the exhaust manufacturers fault, it is essential when a exhaust is fitted that it hangs loose and stress free, and is not forced into position.
But few are free enough, which results in an increase in noise, stress, vibration and failure.

It was an old tuners trick on cars to get the Oxy out and heat the exhaust hot enough that it bent and sagged into a stress free position, and it is said that BMW still do it with their new cars, after a good shake on a vibrating table to settle everything down.

Thanks I hadn’t come across the Staintune so appreciate the heads up. I have found someone that I trust to repair it and brace the passenger footrest mount.
When I removed it I did find on each of the mounting points were insulated with rubber, presumably to allow that bit of flexibility you talk about. It was my brother who added them. It also has one more mounting point than the original muffler which may make it more rigid
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom