MCE

Nope we all dont do that, over the years ive turned down cheaper quotes because i had info on the way the insurance co work or the cover level is significantly different for just a few quid more. So NO i dont always go for the cheapest.:thumb

Many just buy on price though

Truth is, it’s a bit of a minefield, we have the aggregator sites giving us a huge list to choose from, many very cheap and often a fair few underwritten by the same firm, who do you trust?!

I’ve paid more to be with bmw insurance but I have no idea if they are any good. Having had a car stolen (minus keys) it was an anxious time wondering if I was getting my 15k or fuck all, so I do not just go down the cheapest route.

Ive not used them since the early 00’s, when I found out what shisters they really are. And because of this I don’t see what they’d quote, so wouldnt know if they’re cheaper or not. Having just won a claim against another party via CN and they’re legal firm, I’m still pretty happy with them, although it’s still an annual battle to keep the price realistic along with realistic excess’s.

Truth is, it’s a bit of a minefield, we have the aggregator sites giving us a huge list to choose from, many very cheap and often a fair few underwritten by the same firm, who do you trust?!

I’ve paid more to be with bmw insurance but I have no idea if they are any good. Having had a car stolen (minus keys) it was an anxious time wondering if I was getting my 15k or fuck all, so I do not just go down the cheapest route.

BMW Insurance are part of Devitts had quotes off both, BMW were offering more extras, but I didn't need them, so went cheaper with IAM Surety

Great timing, got a policy with them a few hours ago..

Great timing, got a policy with them a few hours ago..

Rest assured they are only shit if you have to claim, otherwise if you don't have to contact them for 12 months they're great.

Edit:- You should have the right to cancel, but several of the thieving barstools are now changing their terms to try to get around the DSR (Distance Selling Regulations)

I might pay more to be associated with a third party I could moan to besides the FOS.

With BMW insurance, one could try complaining to BMW about the service Devitt offer. With IAM Surety, one could complain to the IAM about the way their members are treated.

I would not insure with any companies based in Gibraltar.

Update: the definition of a “Garage” has changed today so I had to call the insurance company. Had to pay additional premium because my bike is now classed as being parked on the road. It’s not.

I won’t describe the security but suffice to say my recommendation is to avoid this company.

They send out emails periodically.
Garage is a locked structure where you only have access: basically a private lockup.

Any residential parking where other people than you have access won't be classed as a Garage.

This is not strictly MCE only to be fair.
I used to be insured with Devitts and others via BMW, and at the time I was keeping both my bikes in a public car park (first) and residential car park (later on) and they always stated "on the road" on the policy. Premium I was paying was fairly high (over 2k).

Garage is a locked structure where you only have access: basically a private lockup.

Any residential parking where other people than you have access won't be classed as a Garage.

This is not strictly MCE only to be fair.
I used to be insured with Devitts and others via BMW, and at the time I was keeping both my bikes in a public car park (first) and residential car park (later on) and they always stated "on the road" on the policy. Premium I was paying was fairly high (over 2k).

Bike is in a steel container inside a secure compound in a private garage ( which residents with a private space can access). Almax IV to two anchor points, alarming disc locks, multiple HD CCTV 24hr pointing at the bike and surrounding areas with movement sensors, Strobes, security staff check my bikes every 30min. Alarmed, immobilised, Biketrac, movement and audio SMS sensors. Bird scaring cartridge wires, Etc etc

Wanted : one rabid dog must be hungry and be okay with living in small confirmed private garage space.

They want bricks right?

Bike is in a steel container inside a secure compound in a private garage [...]

I feel your pain.
In one of my previous parking locations above I was struggling to get the bikes insured. They were parked IN FRONT of the guard that was at the post nearly 24/7. The parking door was closed/locked from 8pm to 6am, cameras, lasers, rabid dogs and all... NO NO.

But... hey, a shed somewhere in a back alley with a plywood door a 96 years old can easily kick down: yes no problem.

I kept paying the higher fees until I was able to get them insured that way because I felt it was safer to keep them in the residential car park than aforementioned shed. :D

PS.

I have the bikes chained and one of them is chained to the floor with a ground anchor and Pragmasys chain and pin going through the frame, but I generally never declare it on the policy. It doesn't affect price that much and you might be in a lot of pain if the bike is stolen without the declared security on.

They want bricks right?

I feel your pain.
In one of my previous parking locations above I was struggling to get the bikes insured. They were parked IN FRONT of the guard that was at the post nearly 24/7. The parking door was closed/locked from 8pm to 6am, cameras, lasers, rabid dogs and all... NO NO.

But... hey, a shed somewhere in a back alley with a plywood door a 96 years old can easily kick down: yes no problem.

I kept paying the higher fees until I was able to get them insured that way because I felt it was safer to keep them in the residential car park than aforementioned shed. :D

PS.

I have the bikes chained and one of them is chained to the floor with a ground anchor and Pragmasys chain and pin going through the frame, but I generally never declare it on the policy. It doesn't affect price that much and you might be in a lot of pain if the bike is stolen without the declared security on.

Understood. They just sent me the “if it’s ever stolen and there’s any evidence of the steering lock not having been on I’m not insured” brilliant.

The private garage is steel, behind steel mesh, concrete and surrounded by brick.

So, I waited to post this until he got the money. :D
So my mate's KTM was stolen some time ago: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/516210-Stolen-KTM1290-from-Royal-Arsenal-London

He was insured with MCE and I was following closely as I'm currently with MCE and we have similar terms (massive excess).

It took a couple of months and he got refunded as agreed – bike market value minus excess. Had to provide paperwork for service, etc. but they didn't try anything weird.
So, for a change, positive feedback.

It has to be said, brand new bike stolen from parking, so pretty straightforward.

Fecking robbing shyster insurance companies.
Fancy them not classing a communal parking area as a garage, what is the world coming to.
My parking space has solid white lines painted around it, what more do they want. .

Have to add: the market value of the bike that MCE calculated and paid was actually higher (a reasonable amount, not a million quid) than what he declared for the policy.
I think that removes my doubts about the practice of asking for the value when setting up a policy. Every insurer later states that they will pay market value – I always guess why they ask the owner for the value then.

He was insured with MCE and I was following closely as I'm currently with MCE and we have similar terms (massive excess).

It took a couple of months and he got refunded as agreed – bike market value minus excess. Had to provide paperwork for service, etc. but they didn't try anything weird.
So, for a change, positive feedback.

Same as my experience with MCE. Showed service history etc and they paid a higher amount (less the excess) than the declared value.

Never had reason to doubt the rationale for the service insurers offer

Last update on the insurance story, just for the record.

My mate i looking to buy a replacement bike for the stolen KTM (he still owns an old R1200S that doesn't get used much). As expected, premium increased. He wasn't expecting this much though.
Quoted with MCE and subsequently with other insurers, his premium went up on average 4X (in the thousands per year). Looks like he is not getting another bike this year as it would end up being too expensive (he'd probably rent it when he needs it).
He re-insured the 1200S for third party only, as he was quoted 1300gbp +1k excess for fully comp.

He's now trying to understand how long the increase will last.

Back
Top Bottom