Replacement GPS For Zumo 500

frosti

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 10 year old Zumo 550 finally gave up working last weekend.
I think it was rain got in through the on/off button which is no longer water-tight.

Drying-out in the hot-press for a few days has not helped.
Completely dead.

I presume they are not still being serviced by Garmin at this stage or if they are it is hardly worth the cost of 120 stg to send it to them ?

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement ?
I do not need all kinds of fancy gizmos with it, just a good sensible system.

I am removing a 660 from my Triumph probably next week. Its a replacement unit from Garmin. Got LM and works flawlessly. Couple of marks on the case. Screen perfect. Updating myself for a larger screen with a 595LM.

I am removing a 660 from my Triumph probably next week. Its a replacement unit from Garmin. Got LM and works flawlessly. Couple of marks on the case. Screen perfect. Updating myself for a larger screen with a 595LM.

If you are offering it for sale - then thanks but no.

My 10 year old Zumo 550 finally gave up working last weekend.
I think it was rain got in through the on/off button which is no longer water-tight.

Drying-out in the hot-press for a few days has not helped.
Completely dead.

I presume they are not still being serviced by Garmin at this stage or if they are it is hardly worth the cost of 120 stg to send it to them ?

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement ?
I do not need all kinds of fancy gizmos with it, just a good sensible system.

Exactly the same happened to my 550 in July. Now pondering what to replace it with but likely to go for another sh 550! Mapping is not an issue as you can download osm maps and of course there's no need to replace the mount!

Not for sale right now. I progressed from a 550 to a 660 and found it to my liking. Having said that, my friend went from an old tomtom to his smart phone. Its bike mounted. He can setup a route faster than me as he can google a place which the 660 cannot (google) and get directions to it. Not sure if any satnav can google. Inexpensive way forward. Downsides in my opinion are weather and the fear of the phone dislodging from the mount. I have a 595 but not used it, yet. Some satnavs come with a car mount, which is how I learned the basics of my 660 by using it in the car. New they are expensive and if not used all year round, a bit of a waste sitting in the garage. I had a 550, loved it, and progressed on after 8 great years as it had been left behind by features such as lane assist. Regards

Thanks for replying redcap006 and Posh Pete

I do like the 550 but as I usually keep bike things for about 10 years I will probably buy something new next time.

I will think a bit more before deciding.

I think I had the flat batt issue myself and as the thing is then stone dead, it is not immediately obvious what the problem is or what to do.

Thanks Laurence
I will give it a go
But I am not too hopefully

It seems expired

Back
Top Bottom