Swealtering in Snowdonia....in September!????

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A few of us toddled up (toddled being the operative word) from Gloucestershire on Thursday with the intention of riding up to Llandudno, then using it as a base to explore North Wales for a few days. My fellow riders were pensioners, one chap at 73 years young riding a 1990's Z1000R and the other a mere youngster in his mid 60's riding a W800. I was the baby of the group riding my GSA. I thought that I'd have to ride slower but honestly, I wasn't prepared to have to ride at 45mph the whole way up! It would have been unfair to leave them to find their own way so I made it as much fun as I could by riding to the next junction having a bit of fun on the odd twisty bit of road and waiting for them. There was a LOT of waiting over the 185 miles trip up. Never mind as the weather was glorious and the big boxer purred up and astonished me by sipping petrol at a miserly 63mpg according to the gauge, later verified at the pumps as having used 3 gallons to cover a total of about 190 miles, so the gauge was pretty much spot on.

This is something I don't often do (ie big distances at a snails pace) but I learned a few things such as how to switch off and relax more taking in more of the scenery and also just how frugal the GSA can be.

Whilst in Llandudno, we explored the Great Orme, a beautiful spot and highly recommended by foot or cable car with a stroll and lunch at the hill top cafe, then perhaps a gentle tram ride back into town. Views are stunning. You can also ride around the 4.5 mile circular one way toll road which is equally as stunning.

We set off early this morning to beat the crowds but alas, they beat us. We took the road to Betws-y-Coed, and from there to Capel Curig which in the glorious sunshine this morning rewarded with some stunning scenery. From there, we took the A498 road ("A" road....really?) past the stunning Llyn Gwynant to Beddgelert and was rewarded with hundreds upon hundreds of day trippers in cars which had that whole length of road almost at a standstill for miles. I know it was a sunny day in September but there must have been hundreds if not thousands of people along there today making progress little more than a 15,mph average. Probably one to avoid in the summer months! It's a real shame as it's one of my favourite scenic roads in Snowdonia.

I waved my companions goodbye at Dolgellau as I had to make progress to get home mid to late afternoon and it wasn't going to happen at 40mph! They were content to spend the rest of the day wandering back to Cinderford anyway and who can blame them.

I must admit that I also love Shropshire and picked a route which was only lightly trafficked, heading first on the A road to Welshpool then cutting cross-country via Church Stoke and Winstanstow before rejoining the A49 past Ludlow and then via Leominster, Ledbury and Gloucester back home.

I must have met or passed half of UKGSER on the orads today as I've never seen so many GS and GSA bikes on the roads! If any of you came across a reg GSA with the rider in a high vis topped jacket on his tod it may have been me. If you were one of the miserable so-and so's who didn't return the nod or wave, shame on you! :rob ;)

It was a stunning 205 mile ride in one of the warmest September days I can remember and those splendid views of Snowdonia will stay with me for a long time. The bike didn't miss a beat and despite some very spirited riding on the way back still returned 58mpg fully loaded. Must admit I preferred riding on my own rather than constantly fretting about losing much slower riders which spoilt the trip up for me. No harm to the guys but I really can't recommend riding with bikers who ride so slowly if like me, you like to make smooth, safe progress at a steady lick. Still, it was great to get one of them out as he's been through a lot and at 73, to see such a smile on his face being back in the saddle of his beloved big Zed and exploring North Wales for (him) the first time made it worth-while. It's rides like this that remind me of just how good the GSA is as an all rounder. It tackles tiny twisty unclassified tracks, sweeping A roads, traffic and scratching on twisty B roads all with confidence and competence and I haven't managed to wipe the smile off my face for the stunning ride back. Shropshire on empty B roads is a complete joy, as was Snowdonia.

If in doubt, just get out and take a few days away. We have some stunning scenic roads in the UK and it's great to get out and remind yourself of how rewarding it can be discovering them.

I had a similar ride on Thursday with a pal Tommy, also on an RS, (no 45 mph slouch either Morety). Shrewsbury, Ellesmere, Horse Shoe Pass (mandatory stop at the Ponderosa) were soon behind us before we were back to the A5 then Capel Curig and Llanberis Pass. The weather was sparkling and the scenery well - just awsome.

I'll avoid Llamberis in the future though as there was no bike parking apart from a shitty pot hole strewn pay and display at £3 a pop. We were approached by an interesting guy from Adelaide, South Australia who told us he also has an RS back home. Plenty of chat about tyres and mpg before we were off towards Caernarvon and a left turn towards Beddgelert and lunch at a pub on the other side of Snowdon. The view was amazing as we sat and watched a steam train pulling hard up to the summit with black smoke rising vertically from the chimney.

We were followed part of the way by a GS rider who was also enjoying the warmth and sun shine.

After lunch we ran down towards Portmadoc and the A470 south and the general direction of home. A left turn towards Bala brought us onto the glorious A4212, 15 miles of sweeping curves and straights, preceeded by a refuel. Big thanks to the bike going in the other direction who flashed us as we approached the turning for Festiniog to warn us about the Speed Van hiding behind the tree on the junction. I think I was OK for speed but still instinctively gave the brakes a dab!( Why place it there, it's national speed limit, unobstructed view, light traffic? Nothing to do with raising a bit of revenue I suppose?)

A quick look at Bala then off through the Tannat Valley and Knockin to the A5 again. Home via Shrewsbury and Bridgnorth for a total of 250 miles in eight hours.

The RS never missed a beat and even after 250 miles I was ache free and NO MONKEY BUTT!! I love this bike even more than the RT and GS's I've had before.

We both had a day to remember and a reminder of why we still ride at our great age (Tommy's older that god's dog and older than your mate on his big Z, downright ancient both of us.)

Off to La Rochelle, France via Portsmouth and St Malo next saturday with Bobsnew of this parish which will hopefully be be a return of the good weather (it sluiced down for 3 days last time I went there). Last big ride of the year I think.

Age is unimportant MacJ...but condition matters! I'm only early 50's but unfortunately for me I was diagnosed a little too late with Haemochromatosis, which is incurable. Too late in that it has damaged various parts of me including wrist and finger joints which makes bike journeys incredibly painful, and liver damage which makes me exhausted halfway through the day. It's terribly disabling if caught too late and there's no recovery. I am delighted though to still be able to ride my bike and to explore and enjoy such wonderful places...painkillers are a Godsend!

I feel the same way about the GSA...had an RT some years back but the GSA for me is a perfect recipe for my riding style and ergonomically almost perfect for me despite being a shorty at 5'8".

I hope that I'll be around in 20 years and if I am I further hope to still be riding!

That pub I think I know, and views from there on a good day are wonderful. I agree about the Llanberris route but it doesn't detract from it's awe inspiring beauty. It's all got a bit too crowded in recent years which is a shame but it's the same everywhere except perhaps the North York Moors and Dales. I do most of my travelling out of season so when the weather;s right it's a real treat. Glad you had a great trip and kudos to you and your mate!

I'll avoid Llamberis in the future though as there was no bike parking apart from a shitty pot hole strewn pay and display at £3 a pop.

We've always parked our vw transporter on the main street -- Llanberis has Pete's Eats - which is an institution in it's own right - whilst it has a Marmite set of customers, folk either love it or hate it, it's been a cracking place to eat and entertain my kids for years. I'd look into alternatives for the bike parking....

Enjoyed reading your ride reports, thanks for posting fellas.

I'm in my 30s and jealous that you chaps get to ride mid week when the weather is glorious whilst I'm stuck in an office! Nice write up though. Just hope I'll be riding in my 70s even if at 45mph!

not been in long myself from being out in snowdonia Park. I knew the main areas ,Llanberis, Betws Y Coed etc would be busy so we tried some new roads, and what a stunning find one was, From Bala took the B 4391, it was just superb, Wide, twisty ......and empty. Enjoyed the views at Lake Vyrnwy, before picking up the 470 near Cross Fox in and heading toTrawsfyndd, turned right here along capel Celyn , another empty road. 265 mile round trip , brilliant roads and views

not been in long myself from being out in snowdonia Park. I knew the main areas ,Llanberis, Betws Y Coed etc would be busy so we tried some new roads, and what a stunning find one was, From Bala took the B 4391, it was just superb, Wide, twisty ......and empty. Enjoyed the views at Lake Vyrnwy, before picking up the 470 near Cross Fox in and heading toTrawsfyndd, turned right here along capel Celyn , another empty road. 265 mile round trip , brilliant roads and views

Thanks for the report DC...I must try that route myself next time!

I hope that I'll be around in 20 years and if I am I further hope to still be riding!

I'll drink to that and that you stay 'Shiney side up'.

Back
Top Bottom