Anyone at home?

I’ve traded my KTM in against a new 2020 model FE501to be collected when I can get a day off work because it needs the first service after a mere 1hr of riding so the dealers workshop has to be open and I’d sooner they did the first one then I’ll do the rest.

I’m happy enough with the deal because the KTM has only dipped £2.5k in 2 years and close to 12k miles and cost to change is about £500 on the road.

I’ve got mad ideas regarding changing it into a lightweight adventure bike and hitting a few longer trails in Europe and when you look at the Husqvarna 701 or KTM 690 they’re 40kg heavier which is a lot of weight to be picking up when you're out on your own so the 501 makes sense from at least one way of looking at it.

Seems converting these, KTM 500 EXC & 701's into adv bikes is quite popular, but wondering what the thinking is around the shorter service intervals? Are people just stretching them out based on the bikes not being used for full on off road racing?

Thanks JB. Am away at work so not able to look into this at the moment, but does he go into maintenance intervals?? Will be home by the end of the week and have a look.

I spent a bit of time pondering the reality of choosing a bike that when used in competition would need ia lot of maintenance but decided that it was worth a punt on the fact that for more restrained use I could take a more conservative view when it comes to oil/filter changes. Only time will tell when it comes to whether I’ve dipped out or not but I’m fed up with over weight and over complicated bikes and only time will tell whether it was a bad move or not. My days of ragging bikes mercilessly are sadly gone so it’s a more acceptable gamble and I like the idea of going a bit backwards to go forwards if you see what I mean :D

I spent a bit of time pondering the reality of choosing a bike that when used in competition would need ia lot of maintenance but decided that it was worth a punt on the fact that for more restrained use I could take a more conservative view when it comes to oil/filter changes. Only time will tell when it comes to whether I’ve dipped out or not but I’m fed up with over weight and over complicated bikes and only time will tell whether it was a bad move or not. My days of ragging bikes mercilessly are sadly gone so it’s a more acceptable gamble and I like the idea of going a bit backwards to go forwards if you see what I mean :D

Recovering from over 4 weeks on nights :comfort: and been doing a bit of reading up.
Seems from JB's link above and elsewhere, that there is not really a problem with the servicing, although everybody seems to be sensibly hedging their bets a bit and gradually stretching the servicing depending on how the bike is going. Bit of old school listening to the engine and getting a feel for it.
In the same place as you regarding simplifying bikes & lightening the load. Takes me back to my youth on XT500 & 600 Tenere's where I did just head off into the bush.
Not too sure on what to look for at the mo as I have the minor problem of a 37" inseam in a 6'6" frame. The new XT700 obviously has a sentimental pull, but is still heavy although not as worried about that as can still lift a 1200GSA - just :) Not too keen on having to fold myself up like I used to so ideally looking for a bit more height between the seat and pegs. The 701 seems to have about 80mm more than the 501 and weighs quite a bit less than the XT ..............
Not in a rush so going to ponder on this one a bit more, but would be interested to see how you go with the 501

I rode a 701 the other day. I didn't really notice the seat to peg distance, but you would be one of very few people to get both feet down properly.

yup, never had a problem with getting the feet down :)
Generally have to think more about handlebar risers etc as the down side though

Back
Top Bottom