Anyone been to Parador De Santo Estevo? North West Spain

SiRich

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bit of a long shot, trying to establish if the roads to this are considered tricky/dangerous.

Looking at next April as part of a 11 day trip, and wanted a special setting as will have my wife on pillion but don’t want to scare either of us silly getting there.

Read some stuff on review sites that suggest it could be a challenge.

Alternatively any suggestions of nice places to stay?, night prior we are in Vila real, and our last night we are in Leon so looking for somewhere in the middle or thereabouts.

:thumby:

^
How to arrive
The Parador is located in Santo Estevo de Ribas de Sil. The main route is from Ourense, 28 km away via the A-52. Another option is to follow the N-120 towards Monforte de Lemos-Ponferrada until you reach the exit. Large buses cannot access the Parador.
Are you in a large bus?

It’s here, just in case anyone wonders where the hell one hotel might be in be in northwest Spain.

7e97d116f977c781099b1bd80c14779f.jpg

The hotel has 77 rooms. It’s a fair bet that most of the occupants will have driven there in cars, as they probably won’t have come in large coaches. If bods in cars can drive there, I guess you can do it on a motorbike without soiling your undercrackers any more than usual.

Turning to your next request for guidance, Kurviger route suggests that Puebla de Sanabria is about halfway between the two places.

faa8bc901f13586d742596208533bdb7.jpg

That’s great, as Google says it’s a nice enough place.

As luck would have it, there’s a parador there:

https://mobi.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-puebla-de-sanabria

Failing that, TripAdviser lists the 10 best hotels in Puebla de Sanabria, so there is plenty of choice. Here’s ‘Luxury hotels’ listing:

https://www.luxuryhotelsguides.com/...jfosU-ddOP7klbv17YY8mKUaNb-xa8SQaAk0kEALw_wcB

The parador comes in a number three, so I guess it’s OK?

You can bet your life Robin has; I think he's been to them all.

Wappers.
It's "buses", and has been so for over a century. :augie

Thanks Wapping, not a bus a tractor i think they are referred to! I read a booking.com comment that said road there not advisable for motorbikes, specific motorbike comment, subjective yes, but hence the seed of doubt. i didnt have the mrs on the back wouldnt be an issue although suspect wouldnt be seeking out a parador then either!

Parador De Santo Estevo: Ancient authentic place - See 1529 traveler reviews, 1390 candid photos, and great deals for Parador ... The road up to the Parador is a challenge but we made it on motorcycles without ...

Good stuff.

You’ll be fine.

:beerjug:

I sometimes pre-ride a new to me road on Google Maps - street view - you get a good idea of road quality, & if their little camera car hasn't travelled your road, probably best avoided. Just have a look at the smaller roads, if they OK, you'll be fine on the major routes

I sometimes pre-ride a new to me road on Google Maps - street view - you get a good idea of road quality, & if their little camera car hasn't travelled your road, probably best avoided. Just have a look at the smaller roads, if they OK, you'll be fine on the major routes

Hmm, so you wouldn't take a rufty tufty all terrain globe busting awesome steed anywhere other than where the Google camera car has been?
I could perhaps understand this on a full dress Goldwing or Electraglide, but on a GS? Why have such a machine, then?

Hmm, so you wouldn't take a rufty tufty all terrain globe busting awesome steed anywhere other than where the Google camera car has been?
I could perhaps understand this on a full dress Goldwing or Electraglide, but on a GS? Why have such a machine, then?

Not what I said. The OP looking for roads which wouldn't scare him/pillion silly. If the camera car hasn't visited, he cannot view the road to make a decision, plus its likely to be a "challenge" which he wants to avoid. O, and he hasn't said in this post what bike he's on so it may/may not be a GS

Stayed there last year. I was on my H2 SX.
Roads are a bit twisty but nothing to worry about. Stunning place. Do it.
Rooms are stunning with a huge drop out of the window.
The restaurant is set in a beautiful grand room and the food was lovely.

334d2b5beb991ee23ffec59bc81a4b51.jpg
6ae255b1ddcdfd5a89f2b35685c9e998.jpg
4c7f0e48767ad69f376c780fc77d42b0.jpg
57a8024e867046ae4b8ace60cbd329f8.jpg
f65f70a00fdaf5a84e3badd949f3045b.jpg
5ea4cb55cdf9f167eac3013946d951e3.jpg
d37c87b02b8c3450a77cb03e206275a4.jpg

Fantastic thanks Arsey, will book it, it does look pretty stunning. Bike is a Goldwing with trailer fitted.

That last bit was a lie, it has no trailer :D. (Gsa actually):beerjug:

Stayed there when it first opened ....as a Parador, so a few aspects were still incomplete. Good garage if required.

Lovely setting up in the hills, the easiest approach is from Ourense, initially on the C536 road. The road up from the N120 alongside the river Mino is a more twisty minor affair, although not particularly demanding.

You can bet your life Robin has; I think he's been to them all.

This is one I haven't stayed in! :D We have tentative plans to do the Paradores of North-West of Spain in the next two or three years.

The Google maps car hasn't been up there yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's treacherous. It doesn't look too twisty on maps though. I can guarantee that it won't be any twistier than the road up to Parador de Cardona!

Was there 10 days ago. Its a must do hotel. Roads up to the place can be a little lumpy and narrow but all very do-able. Take mozzy spray.

Thanks everyone great feedback and it’s booked for April 2020.

Back
Top Bottom