Taking the English around the Nc500

Yakker

Reaction score
Planning ahead to next year -- I want to do the Nc500 - - and have 2 or 3 pals from down south that fancy a bike trip around Scotland.

The Nc500 is an obvious loop - can anyone share ideas and experience of travelling such a route, what to avoid (I've been told to avoid John O'Groats and Wick) so am more likely to get to Tongue and then head south...

I'm looking to use options to keep accomodation costs down (Glamping pods and the like) - - but would welcome any insight from folk

Day One will take us from Ayrshire via Oban (Pier for lunch) and up towards Inverness -- but what/where would you spend time...

It's obviously a series of roads that have been there for decades that make a 500 ish mile route, deviate off the route by a mile and you'll find yourself on deserted roads just as good. Study a map and suss out how far a day you want to ride then look at where accom is situated and available and plan from there. (as an example, one bunkhouse in Fort William is half full for 2020 already)
An alternative is to base yourself somewhere like Lairg/Strathpeffer and do decent 250/300 mile luggageless day rides
Glamping pods are likely to be pricey. AirBnb and booking.com are your friends.

For me as a Scottish biker, these days doing the NC500 is not something that would be my first choice for biking roads we have up here. Yes there are definitely some nice views etc..
Looking at your address you will know what I am talking about.
That said the NC500 gets much hype and one to tick off. But therein lies a problem, the road is now so cluttered with vehicles and also has its fair share of "boys in blue".
I did the full round in a day some 10 years ago when it was just the coast road and when there was little or no traffic for much of the journey, so good progress was easy with plenty of summer light.

Perhaps some of the minor strath roads that are linked to the NC500 might be of interest. Here is a report I wrote some 5 years ago.
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...n-the-Straths-of-Caithness-and-Sutherland-etc

Anyway, get some good weather and quite frankly as long as you are not on dualers or m/ways, much of the roads in the area you are thinking about are fine biking roads.
Whatever, enjoy.:D

Weeell.....

Having spent the last 2 days bonding with the Triumph on the NC500...well the best bits, I can say that today...Durness, Kylesku, Drumbeg, Achmelvich, Lochinver, wee mad road, Reiff, Achiltibuie and back ip to Durness, most of it in the sun, was one e of the best days biking I've ever had.

Yes there are muppets in borh campers and cars, but soon dealt with.

Simply the best.

I officially love the Triumph.

I keep repeating myself in different places, but last Friday, Saturday, Sunday was the end of summer.
Absolutely fantastic weather and some of our most brilliant roads. Up to 25 degrees on 2 days.

Friday night stopped in Aultguish Hotel / Bunkhouse North of Garve (long way round of course). Saturday night in Highland Hotel Lairg. Long way home on Sunday. Almost 700 miles.

Used the wee book mentioned above to drop in to a few spots I’d never seen before such as Corrieshalloch Gorge, Glenfinnan Staion caff, a wee caff at the end of a narrow road at Polglas (Achiltibuie), Cocoa Mountain (Durness), down into Smoo Cave, Shin Falls and my first visit to the shiny new caff at Grantown East (station).

And of course, spanked numerous 4 wheelers between Tomintoul and Blairgowrie with mostly the road to myself.

ps - the last few miles were actually pishin’ wet from Perth and on a piece of M9

Attachments

• 91281CB4-4B4B-49DE-B90A-9130FBB7E513.jpg
    91281CB4-4B4B-49DE-B90A-9130FBB7E513.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 543
  • 4BF68C13-7EFF-4C59-84C0-AEC54EADF03C.jpg
    4BF68C13-7EFF-4C59-84C0-AEC54EADF03C.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 545
  • 40C9C6A0-4DA2-4C7D-91F9-BE867FC0CDD6.jpg
    40C9C6A0-4DA2-4C7D-91F9-BE867FC0CDD6.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 547
  • 540E0028-9EDE-4E86-8FC2-F32182C1E8F3.jpg
    540E0028-9EDE-4E86-8FC2-F32182C1E8F3.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 598
Weeell.....

I officially love the Triumph.

And it's not a BMW? Not a 1200?

I have to admit I'm really enjoying my 800 versus my 1200 for everything other than sitting on a motorway (which I try and avoid anyway). Two up for a long trip the 1200 will be the bike of choice but running around Scotland - lighter is better.

And it's not a BMW? Not a 1200?

I have to admit I'm really enjoying my 800 versus my 1200 for everything other than sitting on a motorway (which I try and avoid anyway). Two up for a long trip the 1200 will be the bike of choice but running around Scotland - lighter is better.

Got to agree...1200 for 2 up Europe trips, and camping with loads of kit, but otherwise I enjoyed the wee 800 enormously, so that will be my weapon of choice......not me of course but the others were into 3 figures keeping up.

Similiar pic!

a8700869ff6e11046da19c9a07266aec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm going through the process of working out what a trip to Scotland by bike could include. We're looking at things like - needs to have a Ferry (Ardrossan to Brodick or Mallaig across to Skye probably), White Sands-Blue Water (Arisaig to Mallaig), Wallace Monument, GlenFinnan, Ben Etive (Glen Orchy, Kingshouse for breakfast), Lighthouses, Otters, Eagles, Deer - a run up the side of Loch Lomond, Ardrishaig-Crinan Basin-Kilmartin-Oban (Seafood on the pier), Applecross, Gairloch, Killiecrankie /Loch Tummel/Aberfeldy (for a chicken curry pie) , Rest and Be Thankful (more chips), Spean Bridge, the Kelpies, Forth Bridges, Eilean Donan, Dalveen Pass, Galloway forest, St Andrews. I struggle further north and east but have ordered the Scotland by Motorcycle book and reckon I can build up a decent trip for a few pals

I'm heading from sunny North Ayrshire round to Southend/Campbeltown/Macrahanish and home via Oban this weekend hopefully for a trundle...

What else would you

I'm going through the process of working out what a trip to Scotland by bike could include. We're looking at things like - needs to have a Ferry (Ardrossan to Brodick or Mallaig across to Skye probably), White Sands-Blue Water (Arisaig to Mallaig), Wallace Monument, GlenFinnan, Ben Etive (Glen Orchy, Kingshouse for breakfast), Lighthouses, Otters, Eagles, Deer - a run up the side of Loch Lomond, Ardrishaig-Crinan Basin-Kilmartin-Oban (Seafood on the pier), Applecross, Gairloch, Killiecrankie /Loch Tummel/Aberfeldy (for a chicken curry pie) , Rest and Be Thankful (more chips), Spean Bridge, the Kelpies, Forth Bridges, Eilean Donan, Dalveen Pass, Galloway forest, St Andrews. I struggle further north and east but have ordered the Scotland by Motorcycle book and reckon I can build up a decent trip for a few pals

I'm heading from sunny North Ayrshire round to Southend/Campbeltown/Macrahanish and home via Oban this weekend hopefully for a trundle...

What else would you

A93 over Glenshee and along Deeside, quick look at Balmoral and then over the Lecht.

What else would you

I would avoid a long hit list or you'll spend hours trying to link too many things together on average roads. Perhaps better to pick the areas you want to visit (West and North - and if you want something different, islands; different again, whisky country and the Moray coast) and then the roads you want to ride - you'll see enough of your list just travelling in the north and the west, the highlights will be what you find. And the whisky.

I would avoid a long hit list or you'll spend hours trying to link too many things together on average roads. Perhaps better to pick the areas you want to visit (West and North - and if you want something different, islands; different again, whisky country and the Moray coast) and then the roads you want to ride - you'll see enough of your list just travelling in the north and the west, the highlights will be what you find. And the whisky.

Agree, keep it simple..there's always the next trip and travel shouldn't be an endurance event :thumb

An essential component of the bonding process...
b49ccf659bcfab20da09cd6903859c08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Damn, nice looking drams there.. A new bike and a trip away, good feeling that, enjoy :D

Back
Top Bottom