F700 GS v F800 GS

grez

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Final planning for a trip to OZ and it comes down to buying a bike v renting one.

Buying has the hassle of registering it in one state (Perth) and then reregistering it another and the associated pain of getting a road worthy certificate in Victoria.

Renting has merit as it gets rid of the hassle but is more expensive. The issue is there are good deals on a higher mileage F800 GS (2017 model) and F700 GS (2014 model). Planning on doing 2 trips with a break in the middle and each trip is around 3, 500 miles over 14 days.

Question is, how is the F700 GS over distance, say 350 miles a day, with the smaller screen? I am around 5 ft 10 so not massive. Both bikes come with hard panniers and I will sling a bag on the back seat, and a spare fuel can. Any advice welcome.

The 700 will be fine for those distances. 800 will cope with unmade or poor roads better. Seat comfort might be a problem on both for long rides.

Cheers, its more the wind blast on my neck although I don't want to be doing over 60 mph if possible so I can see the scenery. My Africa Twin seat is not the most comfortable I have ever had but I can manage 500 mile days on it when needed so hopefully I have an acclimated arse.

Cost difference between a 700 and an 800 for my trip is close on £300 so worth it, plus easier to fix punctures.

I agree with stonehenge.
700GS are really road biased, the 800GS being both & certainly much better on any track, path, unpaved Road.
I have done 450 mile days on my 650GS / 700GS s many times with no problems.
Just make sure an 800GS is not too tall for you as they are a bit taller..
And too be honest both OEM screens are shite..
But a higher used one on here & take it with you..
Most 650GS /700GS /800GS twins will fit.

Hi Guys,

Final planning for a trip to OZ and it comes down to buying a bike v renting one.

Buying has the hassle of registering it in one state (Perth) and then reregistering it another and the associated pain of getting a road worthy certificate in Victoria.

Renting has merit as it gets rid of the hassle but is more expensive. The issue is there are good deals on a higher mileage F800 GS (2017 model) and F700 GS (2014 model). Planning on doing 2 trips with a break in the middle and each trip is around 3, 500 miles over 14 days.

Question is, how is the F700 GS over distance, say 350 miles a day, with the smaller screen? I am around 5 ft 10 so not massive. Both bikes come with hard panniers and I will sling a bag on the back seat, and a spare fuel can. Any advice welcome.

How long are you planning your trip to be?
How long will you be staying in Victoria?
Why would you need to reregister? I think you only need to reregister after 6 months in a different state.

6 1/2 week trip
Staying in Melbourne for 7 days
Need to re-register in order to sell, can do it on WA plates but need to take a $ 500 hit (approx cost of re - registering) and becomes a lot less attractive to potential buyers.
Probably rent as a 700 GS with high kilometres is available and overall is the same cost as buying without the hassle.

Have you considered taking your Africa Twin with you?
Shipping costs might be cheaper or at least on par with buying/renting a bike in Australia, and negates the hassle of buying, taxing, insuring (with no permanent address in Australia) and then selling a bike in a market you don’t know.
Last time I looked the break even point for America was two and a half weeks. Shorter, rent; longer, ship. As you are in Oz for 6 1/2 weeks shipping your Honda could well be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom