Chain Lube

I have a scottoiler v system at the moment and it works perfectly, with no nasty residue on the rear wheel @ all (as I have the flow rate set correctly ).

I use Wurth brake & chain cleaner to....well do the obvious, and will clean the chain after a ride, and will then (occasionally) lube the chain straight away, and I use Silkolene Titanium Dri Gel lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the basic VSystem Scottoiler on my KTM, set to nearly minimum and it's perfect, a little fling off most noticeable on the back of the numberplate but I can live with that, I used to hate having to lube a chain manually...I know, it's hardly difficult, it is just one of those things I dislike doing.

When I did lube it manually I used SDoc100 White Chain Spray. Interesting to see many using GT85 and WD40, I was always under the impression these weren't any good as 'proper lube' but it would appear that was bollocks.

Where peeps are talking about WD40 ... are you referring to normal WD40 or WD40 chain lube or wax?

I referred to the chain lub, but the rest were talking about straight WD40

WD40 Chain Wax on the other half's CBR500. Minimal fling, and it seems to last a fair while too. Original chain lasted 14,000 miles.

I occasionally use chain lube (also WD40 chain lube, not normal WD40) on my F700GS, but my favoured method is put it on centre stand, pull up a stool, get my old fashioned thumb operated oil can that I put old engine oil, gear oil, fork oil etc in, and put a little drop of oil on each o-ring. I do this every two commutes (300 miles) when it's dry, every commute (150 miles) if it's wet. My last chain lasted 18,000 miles; not sure how this compares with others.

It sounds like hassle but I can do the chain this way in exactly the same time it takes me to smoke a ciggie. And the lube itself is of course free.

IF YOU CAN FIND ANYONE THAT HAS OLD/NEW CASTROL VISCOGEN KL23 SPRAY BUY IT, IT WAS USED IN THE 70/80S BY GP TEAMS , I HAVE 1 CAN THAT I USE ON THE WIFES HORNET,,,,VERY RAIRLEY AS IT IS THAT GOOD,CHEERS S

I had a Scottoiler on my F700GS - it coated the underside of the bike in a very hard to remove sludge, even on very low settings. I wouldn’t bother with one in future and have no problem cleaning and re-lubing the chain. Try SDOC100 White Chain Spray - not cheap but a little goes a long way, it dries almost transparent and puts a slick, waxy film on the chain that doesn’t fling and lasts a long time. The best chain lube I’ve tried and I’ve been through most products. Sportsbikeshop often have offers - I bought three bottles recently and it’s only when I opened the box that I discovered 3 bottles of chain cleaner. Nice!

Just done the same thing myself. Nice aerosol of chain cleaner for €22. Including postage. That’s a waste of money. And bloody expensive. JJH

IF YOU CAN FIND ANYONE THAT HAS OLD/NEW CASTROL VISCOGEN KL23 SPRAY BUY IT, IT WAS USED IN THE 70/80S BY GP TEAMS , I HAVE 1 CAN THAT I USE ON THE WIFES HORNET,,,,VERY RAIRLEY AS IT IS THAT GOOD,CHEERS S

OK, GOOD TO KNOW. THANKS.

Ive used Wurth dry lube for a few years.

Use it on push bikes , trial bikes and road bikes.

I know some dont trust it because it looks like you havnt lubed the chain ,but it works great and doesnt attract shite, or fling off.

I’ve used this for ages after using another a German one - profi dry lube . They smell exactly the same and behave the same. I don’t like riding in the wet any more so not truly tested in all weathers.

<iframe width="966" height="543" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kiTpiF3WFic" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom