No(rton)stalgia ain't what it used to be or is it....?

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm giving serious consideration to buying a '73, 850 Commando Roadster.

I had an 850 Mk3 back in the day and it was....well let's just say it had "issues" and it was a low mileage, one owner example when I bought it in '76. It didn't help that what I really wanted was a Jota and an R100RS and could afford neither at the time. In the quest for more power, I had the head ported, fitted a 3S camshaft and 10.25:1 Omega pistons. That was an exercise in turd polishing if ever there was one.

However, I've seen what appears to be a nice one for sale locally at a very fair price. It's got various Norvil bits on it and is in running order. I'm also inclined to think that it might be better than money in the bank.

Any thoughts.....? :augie

I'm giving serious consideration to buying a '73, 850 Commando Roadster.

I had an 850 Mk3 back in the day and it was....well let's just say it had "issues" and it was a low mileage, one owner example when I bought it in '76. It didn't help that what I really wanted was a Jota and an R100RS and could afford neither at the time. In the quest for more power, I had the head ported, fitted a 3S camshaft and 10.25:1 Omega pistons. That was an exercise in turd polishing if ever there was one.

However, I've seen what appears to be a nice one for sale locally at a very fair price. It's got various Norvil bits on it and is in running order. I'm also inclined to think that it might be better than money in the bank.

Any thoughts.....? :augie
I was discussing such with a friend recently and we came to the opinion that the market for vintage/veteran motorcycles must be dwindling. There are fewer and fewer young people interested in motorcycling so the pool of customers must fall in the long term. Add in environmental restrictions and I don't see much interest in these bikes in the future.

But if I wanted a such a bike this wouldn't dissuade me, I just wouldn't go into it in the expectation of financial gain.

My humble view is that the investment opportunities for general British bikes isn't what it used to be. The bikes going up in value are 70's Japanese/Italian bikes. People of an age are buying bikes from their yoof and the wave of buyers has moved on from the bikes of the 50's/60's to the bikes of the 70's/80's.

But as Stolzy said, if you want it, why wouldn't you. Scratch that itch.

My humble view is that the investment opportunities for general British bikes isn't what it used to be. The bikes going up in value are 70's Japanese/Italian bikes. People of an age are buying bikes from their yoof and the wave of buyers has moved on from the bikes of the 50's/60's to the bikes of the 70's/80's.

But as Stolzy said, if you want it, why wouldn't you. Scratch that itch.

True, and in 15 or 20yrs the arse will fall out of that market too.

I agree with Stolzy to a degree. The people interested in these 70’s and 80’s bikes
Have still got decades on this planet so it will be a while before the drop in
Values happens. However, if you fancy one, go for it. I’m just about to start
Restoring my mk3, loads of great mods that can make these bikes very rideable and
reliable.........ish.

I had an 850 Commando and mine was a good bike for he relatively short time that I owned it. I was working abroad so had cash in the bank to buy a R100CS which I sold to buy a Le Mans. I still have the Le Mans but I’d really like to find a Commando and R100CS again.

I’m not sure that interest in useable classics will evaporate in a few years. It is a niche market but I think there will always be interest in low tech, user maintainable bikes and cars. Not sure whether they are a good investment though, they should just be enjoyed for what they are.

The general consensus amongst the old fellas I chat with at our local vintage bike meet, is that these old bikes' weaknesses are very well known by now, and with improved aftermarket parts and/or engineering, you should be able to weed out your bike's issues.

I think I will buy an old Brit myself at some point, but with the expectation of spending a little more to make it a more reliable and enjoyable bike.

True, and in 15 or 20yrs the arse will fall out of that market too.

Yep
Agreed and youngsters of today aren't riding bikes in their droves anymore

Plenty of youngsters (5-17/18) at Trials meets - but although they graduate to taking their test at 17/18 to ride road Trials they have no interest in road bikes and road riding

Sometimes it's best to get the rose tinted specs out before looking back at the bikes we loved from the past. Remember the good times & try to forget the 'issues'.

I can recall queuing in traffic at Silverstone mid '70s, ogling a lovely black 850 commando with pea-shooter pipes & swearing I would get one ....... one day. Well, a decade later I went Duke MHR instead, another lovely much revered classic, but still a service hungry proposition compared with a modern retro.

Like others have mentioned, recent years have seen astounding growth in classic bike values, but I sense the buyers aren't quite so keen latterly. Many have chased old bikes simply as an asset class during times of low interest rates & declining sterling values but, as a buddy of mine has found, the bloody things need proper maintenance if they are to be kept in safe roadworthy condition. What looked like a bullet proof investment of around £30k suddenly became more like a financial PITA, with 'her indoors' questioning the sanity of it all when 2 of his 3 were found to be little more than, shall we say, museum standard (look good, run like a crock of shite)

Still, if we have funds available, then we have choices - it's good for us all to go with the dream once in a while.

I had a 850 mkIII electric start
What a heap of ......it was
Never again :forry
Not even as an investment would I buy another :blagblah

I'd post a picture of the beast but it's all pre digital camera days:rolleyes:

I had a 850 mkIII electric start
What a heap of ......it was
Never again :forry
Not even as an investment would I buy another :blagblah

I'd post a picture of the beast but it's all pre digital camera days:rolleyes:

The mk3’s certainly had issues, Norton were almost bankrupt when it came out.Quality control I think was non existent:blast
However with quality modern parts now available these bikes can be made very reliable and are great to ride,but you do have to have the skills to look after them...

If you want it then buy it. Andover Norton can supply most parts and are very good at helping if you phone for advice.

I’ve not touched my 850 MKIIA this year because of work commitments and a lack of interest after actually getting it to start last year but if I get a few weeks off this winter I’ll get back to it and see if I can work out why it doesn’t like charging :blast

Still think the original Commando roadster is an iconic design and well recall pressing my nose against the window of Alexander's bike shop in Lothian road where they were the first shop in town to have one! Now if someone had a well sorted one (or even better the LR variation), I'd be sorely tempted.

Still think the original Commando roadster is an iconic design and well recall pressing my nose against the window of Alexander's bike shop in Lothian road where they were the first shop in town to have one! Now if someone had a well sorted one (or even better the LR variation), I'd be sorely tempted.

This one I went to see in Lochgelly the other day is quite nice. I'll put you onto him if you're interested, Peter. I'm going to pass on it.

Norton Commando

I've developed an unreasonable desire to own an Interstate.

I need someone with more sense to show me the error of my ways.......

....unless you know where I can get a good 'un.

Back
Top Bottom