Preaching to the choir

davnjud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Owned my carb converted 1100GS for a few years now and felt the need to try out one of the new 1250's because I fancied something a bit faster and shinier. Was really ready to splurge the cash. 10 minutes into test ride I knew it wasn't going to happen. Digital speedo shoots up so quickly compared to my old girl and finally BMW have managed to sort fuelling so the bike can dawdle comfortably at 30 mph without complaint. But for me the hard to describe satisfaction of controlling a grunty engine on the throttle is replaced by a need to just continually wind the thing up bit like riding a revvy in line 4. On the 1100 if I want to go faster I can twist the throttle a little harder and it responds well with always something in reserve. Working the engine is fun and the vibes let you know you are pushing on. Similarly the utter smoothness of cruising along at low revs satisfies like a Swiss watch mechanism or the comfort of some old slippers. The 1250 is like riding a computer. Straight line acceleration is fun for a while but my real thrills are from cornering where it's perfectly easy to ride to the limits of my confidence speed wise on the 1100. Even entering motorways where the 1250 would excell I have never really had a problem with enough accessible acceleration. My sargeant seat and ohlins rear shock gave a plusher ride than anything I could dial into the ESA. I am afraid that in adding all the gizmos and meeting euro 5 etc some of the basic simple brilliance of the original GS has been lost. No way I would pay 6 times what my bike is worth for something that I would always worry was actually worse in some ways. So a worthwhile exercise in scratching the itch and I'm sticking with 1100, will invest some time and effort smartening it up and for now enjoying it even more. Just a personal view and not intended to diss or antagonise LC owners who I am sure will also enjoy their bikes a lot. :thumb

Cue a load of 1250 owners telling you how they ride the balls off it every day, 3 figure speeds all the time and 'I'm a bloody good progressive rider me...I once did 138 on the n260 innit bro'

Funnily enough I ride frequently with bikes that are faster on paper but somehow don't get left behind:D

Yes, paper is all well and good but doesn't take into account the state of the roads...be it traffic or potholes....or riders ability (I could be on a 200hp superbike but Pete Hickman on a 40hp shitter would always beat me)

Owned my carb converted 1100GS for a few years now and felt the need to try out one of the new 1250's because I fancied something a bit faster and shinier. Was really ready to splurge the cash. 10 minutes into test ride I knew it wasn't going to happen. Digital speedo shoots up so quickly compared to my old girl and finally BMW have managed to sort fuelling so the bike can dawdle comfortably at 30 mph without complaint. But for me the hard to describe satisfaction of controlling a grunty engine on the throttle is replaced by a need to just continually wind the thing up bit like riding a revvy in line 4. On the 1100 if I want to go faster I can twist the throttle a little harder and it responds well with always something in reserve. Working the engine is fun and the vibes let you know you are pushing on. Similarly the utter smoothness of cruising along at low revs satisfies like a Swiss watch mechanism or the comfort of some old slippers. The 1250 is like riding a computer. Straight line acceleration is fun for a while but my real thrills are from cornering where it's perfectly easy to ride to the limits of my confidence speed wise on the 1100. Even entering motorways where the 1250 would excell I have never really had a problem with enough accessible acceleration. My sargeant seat and ohlins rear shock gave a plusher ride than anything I could dial into the ESA. I am afraid that in adding all the gizmos and meeting euro 5 etc some of the basic simple brilliance of the original GS has been lost. No way I would pay 6 times what my bike is worth for something that I would always worry was actually worse in some ways. So a worthwhile exercise in scratching the itch and I'm sticking with 1100, will invest some time and effort smartening it up and for now enjoying it even more. Just a personal view and not intended to diss or antagonise LC owners who I am sure will also enjoy their bikes a lot. :thumb

My thoughts entirely

I took out a 2019 1200 GSA earlier this summer on some twisty B roads and ended up taking it back to the dealer after 10 mins of riding

Not my type of bike

I have a 1995 1100GS, most of my riding buddies have newer 1200s. Mine goes everywhere theirs can and more. I never get left behind on the roads. I can take it offroad and not cry if it gets dropped and another dent or scratch. Second hand parts are plentiful and cheap. A service costs me £40, and i dont need a computer to reset a service light. No finance, low running costs, and very few people want to steal a heavy, ugly, dirty old oilhead.

Each to their own, but I agree.

would be nice to see your carb conversion as i have one waiting!
nice thoughts on your bike as it helps me with my three ,r1100s r1100rt and 1150gs
have to put up with "why don't you sell them and get something decent"
thank you

would be nice to see your carb conversion as i have one waiting!
nice thoughts on your bike as it helps me with my three ,r1100s r1100rt and 1150gs
have to put up with "why don't you sell them and get something decent"
thank you

You already have the decent....:thumby:

thanks davnjud for your reply
they would be decent King Rat if more than one were running!

Back
Top Bottom