drive shaft seized till the final drive

paddy1023

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone got any idea how to get the drive shaft and final drive separated it is welded it with rust Id advise anyone who buys a new GS to grease these parts so you don't have any problems in the future .Ive tried WD40 and trying to tap it off with a mallet but no joy cant use heat because of all the seals in there IF BMW WOULD JUST SPEND A FEW QUID ON GREASE AT FACTORY or indeed make it part of the service schedule all would be fine many thanks

The only way i've found to break rust bonding is with some heat.... but you would need to strip down the swing arm and remove it so that you don't damage anything else.

You could try supercrack, sold by euro car parts, its a freeze penetrating spray for seized parts ,
Used it with good results in areas where heat wasn't possiblle,
Gentle tapping the side of the joint released mine after soaking with the above, which was so rusty i pulled the shaft and painted it,

My initial reaction was to suggest the 'hot spanner', but I hear, like others, that a freeze spray can do the trick with less potential damage - the good stuff is an automotive product as roamer says, but simple freeze spray is readily available at most good plumbers merchants.

The spray is normfest supercrack, if you google it amazon and others supply it, there are videos,
Pulling the shaft out isnt much more of a job if you have the fd disconnected,
Its on a snap ring and pulls out at the front spline just a bit of patience to line up when re fitting,

Ive have it built up again but will get photos when I start it again probably December time

Any pics ?
This is the 'show us yours' section ??

He is a paddy and new around here.

Ive have it built up again but will get photos when I start it again probably December time

Move your thread to the appropriate technical section. This is a gallery btw.

Click on the admin button in the task bar at the top of the thread, select move thread and select the section where it is best suited.

He is a paddy and new around here.

Move your thread to the appropriate technical section. This is a gallery btw.

Click on the admin button in the task bar at the top of the thread, select move thread and select the section where it is best suited.

Do explain. :rob

Only after reading your post HE,S A PADDY AND NEW AROUND HERE . well I think your a prick and no manners …...good bye to yourself and your forum

Only after reading your post HE,S A PADDY AND NEW AROUND HERE . well I think your a prick and no manners …...good bye to yourself and your forum

Many forum same many posts give rights to big mouths, slowly these will kill this forum also, many times I watch here members banned other not, no logic.

The guy gave info on how to get answers the OP needed, with a little bit of piss-take. Pretty sure there was no malice intended.

This drive shaft issue always puzzles me.:nenau
Do I need to go and strip my two cars and a van down to grease the drive shafts:nenau
Thats tweleve bloody wheels to take off ?
Why ?
In 40 years of driving, I can not think of any drive shaft issues ever.

This drive shaft issue always puzzles me.:nenau
Do I need to go and strip my two cars and a van down to grease the drive shafts:nenau
Thats tweleve bloody wheels to take off ?
Why ?
In 40 years of driving, I can not think of any drive shaft issues ever.

Yes, go and strip them all down just to be sure the manafacturers didn't leave them dry to save 12pence on the cost of some fancy grease
Pictures please.

The guy gave info on how to get answers the OP needed, with a little bit of piss-take. Pretty sure there was no malice intended.

Is pisstake always needed, if no help why he have to speek.

Has anyone got any idea how to get the drive shaft and final drive separated it is welded it with rust Id advise anyone who buys a new GS to grease these parts so you don't have any problems in the future .Ive tried WD40 and trying to tap it off with a mallet but no joy cant use heat because of all the seals in there IF BMW WOULD JUST SPEND A FEW QUID ON GREASE AT FACTORY or indeed make it part of the service schedule all would be fine many thanks

mate i had the same problem with a mates bike,two kettles of boiling hot water then a thick piece of wood and a good clout with a mash hammer and it came adrift .

Yes, go and strip them all down just to be sure the manafacturers didn't leave them dry to save 12pence on the cost of some fancy grease
Pictures please.

Why ?
They never fail ?

Back
Top Bottom