High mileage GSA question.

TedBear

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm searching for a 1150 GS or GSA and I have a couple of questions. (I'm in Australia)

One is mileage. Is 108,000 miles too much? What could need attention at that mileage?

Would being used to tow a trailer have any detrimental effect on a GS Adventure?? I know 6th is less of an overdrive so would towing have caused any problems??

Regards,
Frank

Welcome.108k miles shouldn't be a problem.My GS is up to 143K miles now but it all depends on use and service history.At that mileage,without evidence of a recent clutch change,i'd be wary.
Checking the clutch wear is not easy;about the only thing you can do is hard acceleration in the gears and see if there is slippage.
Fitting a lower ratio bevel box from a 1100GS would also be an option.
I've heard of a few people fitting a towing bracket to a GS/GSA so it can be done.
You may want to try and increase the low RPM torque of the motor to haul the extra weight.I've found an exhaust "Y" piece,replacing the cat helps and also take a look at "Boxer Performance" for Lennys sprockets to shift torque lower in the rev range.
Handy fo you as they are in Maidstone,Victoria.:beerjug:

Welcome.108k miles shouldn't be a problem.My GS is up to 143K miles now but it all depends on use and service history.At that mileage,without evidence of a recent clutch change,i'd be wary.
Checking the clutch wear is not easy;about the only thing you can do is hard acceleration in the gears and see if there is slippage.
I've heard of a few people fitting a towing bracket to a GS/GSA so it can be done.
You may want to try and increase the low RPM torque of the motor to haul the extra weight.I've found an exhaust "Y" piece,replacing the cat helps and also take a look at "Boxer Performance" for Lennys sprockets to shift torque lower in the rev range.

Thanks for the info.

I don't want to tow. It's just that the bike that I have found advertised has a tow ball on it and comes with a trailer. I was just wondering if having been used for towing, would that have had any detrimental effect on the bike, especially seeing it's done 108,000 miles.

Cheers,
Frank

After 108k, used for towing, the clutch will have had a hard time. I’d be looking for evidence of recent replacement, or another bike

Which sprockets; i thought it was an 1150 he was after.

Back
Top Bottom