Thinking of selling

If you're not intending any off road, have you considered the 1250RT? Much cheaper to buy an ex dem/6mnth old one than a new TE GS with all the extras and superb for pillion too. A well specified new RT can be had for £17K, a very low miles example for about 15K. You'd still benefit from the warranty too on the newer used examples too at no extra cost.

Hope I'm not speaking out of turn Davie but if you are leaning towards the Tiger 1200, take it from someone who's owned both it and the bike you currently have, it's a backwards step. There's some things about the trumpet I miss. Its triple engine is a real peach, makes power from low revs, has buttery smooth midrange grunt and howls addictively at high revs delivering imho more punch than the boxer higher up, but less punch lower down. It makes for a smooth A road mile muncher, effortless overtakes and I found suspension to better my GSA TE, and the screen was way better. It was also more comfortable for the pillion. That's where the good news ended for me. The reason I got rid was that I just couldn't look past its top heavy weight, the so-so brakes and front end dive. It was literally a right pain to manoeuvre off the bike or at slow speeds. It really does require a lot of man handling and strength. After almost dropping it several times and already suffering an arm injury, it was a breath of fresh air getting onto a GSA. The GSA as an all round package I think betters it and is much easier to handle. As for reliability, they're both similar with the trumpet really not that much better (they still suffer electrical glitches especially) and the finish on the engine casings tends to peel off after a few years all year round use.

I currently have the Tiger 1200 XRT and as above the engine is lovely, front end dive isn't an issue once you're used to it but having previously had RT's it was strange to get used to again. The biggest bugbear for me is the high weight esp when I'm unable to flat foot the standard bike\seat (I'm 5' 6") and I also have come perilously close to dropping the bike and because I can't flat foot have to be careful when parking otherwise I struggle to get of side stand.

The other negative for me on the Tiger 1200 is there is no option to mount the satnav above the display (bar mount only) and I do like the satnav to be easily visible so made my own mount so obviously BMW win on the satnav side for me.

I have test rode the 1250GS and I liked although for some reason found the quickshifter a bit lumpy, not as good as my previous RT and not a patch on the Tiger and I do enjoy to make use of it. The low weight feeling was great for me esp manoeuvring when off the bike.

But as the Tiger is only 18months old it's a bit of hit to take to change for lower centre of gravity at the moment.

If you're not intending any off road, have you considered the 1250RT? Much cheaper to buy an ex dem/6mnth old one than a new TE GS with all the extras and superb for pillion too. A well specified new RT can be had for £17K, a very low miles example for about 15K. You'd still benefit from the warranty too on the newer used examples too at no extra cost.

Thanks for that. I have looked at the RT but tbh the newer ones look a bit "unfinished". Just my opinion. Have ridden one and it is great for touring but just doesn't look great to me.

I currently have the Tiger 1200 XRT and as above the engine is lovely, front end dive isn't an issue once you're used to it but having previously had RT's it was strange to get used to again. The biggest bugbear for me is the high weight esp when I'm unable to flat foot the standard bike\seat (I'm 5' 6") and I also have come perilously close to dropping the bike and because I can't flat foot have to be careful when parking otherwise I struggle to get of side stand.

The other negative for me on the Tiger 1200 is there is no option to mount the satnav above the display (bar mount only) and I do like the satnav to be easily visible so made my own mount so obviously BMW win on the satnav side for me.

I have test rode the 1250GS and I liked although for some reason found the quickshifter a bit lumpy, not as good as my previous RT and not a patch on the Tiger and I do enjoy to make use of it. The low weight feeling was great for me esp manoeuvring when off the bike.

But as the Tiger is only 18months old it's a bit of hit to take to change for lower centre of gravity at the moment.

Yes, fully loaded I found even just hauling mine off the side-stand was becoming a real chore, especially on a hint of adverse camber working against you. The Triumph quick shifter is a lot slicker than BMW's in use too. I also found that mounting a satnav on the bar by the screen difficult so handlebar mounted mine. When I change again though I'm sorely tempted to an RT or an RS. The new RS looks a stunner.

When I change again though I'm sorely tempted to an RT or an RS. The new RS looks a stunner.

When I do change I'm tempted to try the RS (820mm on the standard seat too so good for me), be interesting to see how the electronics manage the anti-dive on the forks.

RT is too big at the front for me

As stated earlier in this thread, the power delivery on the Explorer is superb.

Before you take the plunge I would strongly advise you to take in some severe twisties like you will encounter in Europe

You may recall that when we both went down to the Balkans with Global Motorcycle Tours, I was on my TEX and you on the Yamaha Super Tenere. The Triumph was a real handful and I never felt confident in the mountains....thats why I sold it shortly afterwards.

I also recommend you try moving it around the car park using muscle power

As you know I also owned an S10 at the time (still got it. 40k+ miles and still loving it!). According to the manufacturers the two bikes weigh about the same (T=259kg wet, Y=261kg wet) but the Triumph felt much, much heavier to push around the garage etc

Hope this helps

Mike

As stated earlier in this thread, the power delivery on the Explorer is superb.

Before you take the plunge I would strongly advise you to take in some severe twisties like you will encounter in Europe

You may recall that when we both went down to the Balkans with Global Motorcycle Tours, I was on my TEX and you on the Yamaha Super Tenere. The Triumph was a real handful and I never felt confident in the mountains....thats why I sold it shortly afterwards.

I also recommend you try moving it around the car park using muscle power

As you know I also owned an S10 at the time (still got it. 40k+ miles and still loving it!). According to the manufacturers the two bikes weigh about the same (T=259kg wet, Y=261kg wet) but the Triumph felt much, much heavier to push around the garage etc

Hope this helps

Mike

Cheers Mike

Everyone uses PCP now

I've never used PCP until Honda did that deal 2 years ago on the Africa Twin... I literally ran out of the house to sign up.

£3200 dealer contribution
£ 0 your contribution
0% Finance on PCP for 3 years
£70 pcm payments
£6400 balance.

Bloody great deal on PCP, there were just no downsides.

Just wish KTM would do something like that now on the 790 Adventure R

I read your first post and also presumed you were actually buying. :confused:

Debating whether to sell my 2016 GSA TE. Either as a part ex or private and go armed with cash

I've never used PCP until Honda did that deal 2 years ago on the Africa Twin... I literally ran out of the house to sign up.

£3200 dealer contribution
£ 0 your contribution
0% Finance on PCP for 3 years
£70 pcm payments
£6400 balance.

Bloody great deal on PCP, there were just no downsides.

Yup...but I bet JBs GSAs and various other bikes aren't on PCP...so not quite 'everyone' :D

Yup...but I bet JBs GSAs and various other bikes aren't on PCP...so not quite 'everyone' :D

What I don't like about PCP or Bike Finance, is it's not your bike.

As I like to throw mine down the road, and farkle the nuts of them....

PCP isn't normally ideal.

I'd much rather have a well farkled owned bike, than the latest spec rental bike.

But, at the end of the day, whatever people turn up on, and however they got it, doesn't matter.

Everyone uses PCP now

I couldn't wait to get out of my pcp deal but as said above, if it suits those who it suits fair enough, it just strikes me as people riding around on bikes they can't actually afford just to show off to others that think they can actually afford them.

I couldn't wait to get out of my pcp deal but as said above, if it suits those who it suits fair enough, it just strikes me as people riding around on bikes they can't actually afford just to show off to others that think they can actually afford them.

Wise words

Back
Top Bottom