Rugged Rear Camera

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been struggling to find a place on the rear of my Africa Twin, where I can mount a rugged rear camera.

Then I saw Mark at Cymark had a Sale on his accessories, so I bought the Africa Twin Mini Rear Rack, mainly as it was a tailored fit with a flat surface.

https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/honda-africa-twin-crf1000-rear-rack-316-p.asp

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/516220-Clearance-sale

I stripped off the luggage hooks and hardware, so I just had the plate, seems to have worked. Now all plumbed in with power to an Eastern Beaver PC8 fuse block. Same as front camera.

Cheers :thumb2

Attachments

• 20190923_105753.jpg
    20190923_105753.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20190923_105800.jpg
    20190923_105800.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 20190926_094255.jpg
    20190926_094255.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 20190926_094311.jpg
    20190926_094311.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 20190926_094325.jpg
    20190926_094325.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 174
Another Picture.

It's position also gives me access to the top soft bag once it's opened up.

Attachments

• 20190926_094228.jpg
    20190926_094228.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 171
So now I should be able to catch epic rear camera footage as well :D

Just a question. Why did you have the camera on top and not underneath?

Just a question. Why did you have the camera on top and not underneath?

It may block the rear brake light from certain angles. With it on top, there's no chance of it getting in the way.

I can invert the unit, but seeing the menu and operating the 'format' functions will be a pain in the ass, if it's upside down and hidden.

Much easier to format the card, and start the recordings when you can actually see the LCD screen on it.

It's all wired into the Eastern Beaver switched live. So when I turn the ignition key on, both front and rear camera's turn on automatically (and the GPS 276cx unit).

Then I just format the cards before I go out, and flick the record lever on... and leave it for 10.5 hours... don't need to touch it again.

Like on my BMW, when you turn the ignition off, the power from the bike is cut but the camera's stay on and recording as they switch to internal power for about 1 hour before they switch off completely. Ideal if you keep dropping your bike and having to restart all the time. The camera's and GPS are unaffected.

If you are in a cafe nearby, your smartphone can connect to them via WiFi and you can get a live stream video straight to your phone. We've used it in the past to keep an eye on our bikes (park them in front of mine)

So will we be able to see your next off road crash with it .. ?? :D

So will we be able to see your next off road crash with it .. ?? :D

Most certainly, yes :D

I'll never hold the video back, unless I'm dead, and then I'm sure someone who knew me will still post it :D

I find in a lot of scenarios, the rear camera's are the better drama view for some reason?

I have to say, it sounds like a really neat set-up. Mildly envious. Love having a camera on my helmet, but would like front and rear on the bike. I'm quite interested in the 360 cameras - the idea just one camera unit is needed...but they are not cheap and mounting needs some thought...

I get your point with mounting on the underside. I guess i was thinking it looks a bit vulnerable on top and I also like the idea of them being inconspicuous...

I have to say, it sounds like a really neat set-up. Mildly envious. Love having a camera on my helmet, but would like front and rear on the bike. I'm quite interested in the 360 cameras - the idea just one camera unit is needed...but they are not cheap and mounting needs some thought...

I get your point with mounting on the underside. I guess i was thinking it looks a bit vulnerable on top and I also like the idea of them being inconspicuous...

Yeah, thanks.

I've also got a Garmin Virb 360 camera :D

Mount it on top of Helmet for 360 views. The only problem with 360 is MASSIVE file sizes and huge computing power needed for editing and storage. Also, getting external battery power to it is an issue if its mounted on you, rather than the bike.

So I sort of gave up on it. :D

Back
Top Bottom