Clutch and ABS Hydraulic circuit connected ?

flytoolow

Reaction score
Hi,

After not riding this year (broke a few RH fingers) and replacing the voltage regulator, I have removed & replaced the alternator on a 2003 1150GSA. Upon reassembling the bike and getting ready to refill the ABS circuits I noticed that the clutch seemed surprisingly light - are the two circuits completely separate? (I would assume so..) I ask this because I the bike is parked 700Km away and I have one day to get it back into life.

Opinions welcome.

Thanks

F2L

I was a tad troubled by your question TBH.

Yes they are entirely separate - like JJH suggests, it sounds like your have a clutch issue - hopefully just air in the line or a master/slave cylinder malfunction rather than the clutch itself.

Easy enough to check, but that won't help if you then need parts, given the deadline you are imposing. Can someone mechanically knowledgeable & local to the bike give it the once-over?

are u sure the clutch lever is doing all the work its meant to? JJH

To be honest ..no. I just dropped the tank on ( no bolts) and tried the levers. Then put a tarp on it and went to catch a plane. It was only whilst on the plane I started thinking if, over the past 6 months something else may have happened... ( Im currently moving myself from Switzerland to Belgium...)

I was a tad troubled by your question TBH.

Yes they are entirely separate - like JJH suggests, it sounds like your have a clutch issue - hopefully just air in the line or a master/slave cylinder malfunction rather than the clutch itself.

Easy enough to check, but that won't help if you then need parts, given the deadline you are imposing. Can someone mechanically knowledgeable & local to the bike give it the once-over?
OK, so to check, what needs to happen ? Take of the handlebar filler plate and have a look ?. If its low / drained where is the bleed nipple ? Is it a similar process as bleeding the brakes ?

Thx

Sorry, this is getting back to basics.

Can I suggest politely that you invest in one of these before taking things any further ..........

https://haynes.com/en-gb/bmw/r1100-twins/1993-2005

We are all here to help, but we tend to assume an essential grasp of workshop practices & bike tech knowledge - Haynes take you through all the basics fairly systematically.

Sorry, this is getting back to basics.

Can I suggest politely that you invest in one of these before taking things any further ..........

https://haynes.com/en-gb/bmw/r1100-twins/1993-2005

We are all here to help, but we tend to assume an essential grasp of workshop practices & bike tech knowledge - Haynes take you through all the basics fairly systematically.

Don't be mean, OP's on a tight schedule.

Search this forum for 'bleed clutch', for example. Here's a start: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/472079-clutch-bleeding

Simple tests. Put bike in gear. Pull in clutch lever. Can you move bike. Is there a pool if fluid on floor. Is reservoir full? Hope all the other jobs go ok for you. Possibly change clutch fluid while doing the other jobs. JJH

Reading this again I'm wondering if the slave cylinder has died. Lever reaching the bar would be a symptom of that...

It's not a difficult job, but a high curse factor . It van all be done with the rat wheel off and rear shock. Apart from replenishing the clutch fluid at the end it's mostly nuts & bolts. Oh, reviving the inner seal is fun. I reappropriated a large flat screw driver. I posted on her the fun I had, with pics.

The detail that I'd on my mind. IF the slave has gone, then... The danger of these things leaking is the fluid can travel along shaft and reach the clutch. If you've not used the bike I'd reckon on you being lucky and all will be fine.

Just a heads up on one possibility. If you decided to do this job before riding away on it, it would be time well spent, even if it wasn't the cause, as it'll probably need doing at some stage. Just not sure what else you prepare for!

Can't you get the bike delivered to your new address?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom