Fred's Italian Job - Part 3 Bergamo and Chamonix

fred_jb

Reaction score
This follows on from the previous parts of my trip report:
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/516677-Fred-s-Italian-Job-Dolomites-Trip-Part-1?p=5490735#post5490735
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/516680-Fred-s-Italian-Job-Dolomites-Trip-Part-2?p=5490738#post5490738

This covers the return part of the trip, where I met up with my wife in Bergamo for a few days, before heading home, including a two day stop in Chamonix along the way. We chose Bergamo due to the availability of cheap flights for my wife from our local airport, East Midlands, with a convenient 20 minute, 2 Euro bus ride from the airport into town, and its proximity to the Italian lakes. It turned out to be a really nice place for a short break, so we didn't do much riding, with the only destination of note being a day out around Lake Iseo, where we found a nice lakeside resort with pool and restaurant, so spent an afternoon there.

Excellent apartment in Bergamo, within a short walk of many restaurants and shops:
i-LmWPpGd-X2.jpg

Great choice of restaurants:
i-kRsnVrT-X2.jpg

Rack of lamb - yum!
i-ZmWnkJg-X2.jpg

i-ZmWnkJg-X2.jpg]

Funicular railway to old town:
i-sRkbZvh-XL.jpg

Old town square:
i-vMZSVR8-X2.jpg

View from castle:
i-NxhVKMP-X2.jpg

Ride out to Lake Iseo:
i-STLhR59-X2.jpg

i-qPnwP3Q-X2.jpg

i-rJVWKB7-X2.jpg

Off on my own again and heading home, but had decided to have a couple of days in Chamonix. I found a good deal on booking.com for a chalet about 3 miles out of Chamonix, run by a friendly fellow biker, and a nice place to stay, even though the interior was not exactly luxurious.

i-rvVTbxL-X2.jpg

Fairly basic accomodation:
i-ZFXJNwS-X2.jpg

Got the bus into town for an evening meal so that I could have a drink, but had to walk the three miles back due to the limited bus service, but an enjoyable walk anyway with tremendous scenery. Had a dish called Tartiflette which consists of potatoes, melted cheese and bacon bits - very filling!
i-fdXcG9m-X2.jpg

i-gZnqnrc-X2.jpg

Took a cable car trip on day 2. Had a look at the Mont Blanc cable but there were massive queues and it is very expensive, and I've been up it before, so instead took the Brevent cable car from the other side of town which goes up the opposite side of the valley to Mont Blanc. This goes up in two stages and if you take the option which includes the second stage (about 30 Euros) you get tremendous views from the top.

i-3hmh856-X2.jpg

High altitude refreshments:
i-hdVqb9z-X2.jpg

i-LFqrsNx-X2.jpg

i-msf9bMN-X2.jpg

Scenic route back from town avoiding dual carriageway:
i-qCNg7qQ-X2.jpg

i-VGc39vR-X2.jpg

That's about it apart from the rest of the trek back across France to get the ferry from Le Havre. Hope that has been of interest.

Fred

Enjoyed that Fred. Thanks for taking the time and love the photos:thumb

Thanks TT :thumb2 Just wishing I was still away somewhere sunny on the bike, looking at the depressing weather outside! However, currently bike-less as I've traded in the GS for an RS which I should be getting in December.

Stunning pics, I reckon you went up the right side of the Chamonix Valley, you get to see the Mont Blanc Massif whereas wouldn't have got the same persepective whilst actually 'on it'
How are the Shad panniers and top box?

Stunning pics, I reckon you went up the right side of the Chamonix Valley, you get to see the Mont Blanc Massif whereas wouldn't have got the same persepective whilst actually 'on it'
How are the Shad panniers and top box?

Thanks, and yes you are correct - the Brevent cable car is on the opposite side of the valley so you get a great view of Mont Blanc from the top.

I've used Shad panniers and top boxes on several bikes and really like them, which is why I used them on my last GS and the latest one. They are very strong and very waterproof, while being much lighter than the BMW boxes, and let you have 35 litres of space on both sides. I also like the variable sized SH58X top box as if you are not carrying a lot of luggage you can make it slimmer and sleeker looking while riding and then just extend it to stow helmets when stopped. When fully extended, and together with the panniers if gives me 128 litres of luggage space which is actually 18 litres more than the new Goldwing!

You can fit Shad panniers to an unmodified GS, as they do a mounting kit, but they end up very wide due to having to clear the high level exhaust, so I went to some lengths to make it possible for them to fit close to the bike, by lowering the exhaust and using modified pannier frame mounts. The Shad mounts I used were actually intended for a Yamaha MT-09 but were more suitable than the GS ones as a basis for my mods.

Thanks, and yes you are correct - the Brevent cable car is on the opposite side of the valley so you get a great view of Mont Blanc from the top.

I've used Shad panniers and top boxes on several bikes and really like them, which is why I used them on my last GS and the latest one. They are very strong and very waterproof, while being much lighter than the BMW boxes, and let you have 35 litres of space on both sides. I also like the variable sized SH58X top box as if you are not carrying a lot of luggage you can make it slimmer and sleeker looking while riding and then just extend it to stow helmets when stopped. When fully extended, and together with the panniers if gives me 128 litres of luggage space which is actually 18 litres more than the new Goldwing!

You can fit Shad panniers to an unmodified GS, as they do a mounting kit, but they end up very wide due to having to clear the high level exhaust, so I went to some lengths to make it possible for them to fit close to the bike, by lowering the exhaust and using modified pannier frame mounts. The Shad mounts I used were actually intended for a Yamaha MT-09 but were more suitable than the GS ones as a basis for my mods.

Thanks for that. :beerjug:

Nice one, Fred, I enjoyed all 3 instalments. :thumb

Yes indeed thanks for that.. V enjoyable read..:thumby:

Thanks guys for the positive comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the photos, and I can certainly recommend the Dolomites as a biking destination.

Back
Top Bottom