Portugal Toll Roads

Well, a quick update on the original post:

At the risk of tempting fate, I’ve been back 5 months and the Portuguese authorities haven’t yet tried to extract a fortune in continental beer tokens from my wallet, for my non payment of tolls.

I may even have to risk going back.

I've never paid a toll in Portugal in 15 years of visits. And heard nothing from them either.

Well, a quick update on the original post:

At the risk of tempting fate, I’ve been back 5 months and the Portuguese authorities haven’t yet tried to extract a fortune in continental beer tokens from my wallet, for my non payment of tolls.

I may even have to risk going back.
A couple of years ago I crossed the Vasco de Gamma bridge in lisbon in a hire car without paying, around 6 weeks later I received a letter from a UK debt collection agency with an invoice for £9ish, it seems via verde billed the hire car company and then they passed my details to the UK company. As the Hire company had my credit card details I was somewhat stuck, so I paid the invoice.

I was recently back in Faro so I stopped off at the via verde office and added a 2nd TAG to my account for the bike, the new TAG is a class 5 one, they even gave me an armband specific for the TAG.
I gather the class 5 discount rate is only 30% so it isnt as discounted as the French class 5 one, the portuguese FMP (www.fmp.pt) has been lobbying for a higher discount rate

I've a trip booked for Spain and Portugal begiining of August hopefully the outbreaks will be over by then although I read Portugal may be adding restictions again.
My question is this I've read all I can find on the toll roads but still none the wiser.
My routs is mainly made up from Ride magazine but I'm not sure if bits of motorway are slipped in (hopefully not)
I've no objection to paying it's just the thought of entering a toll road and get to the other end and can't get off it if unlike France you can't just pop a card in .
So best and simplest option please
Cheers R.R.

In 2018 we used some routes from Ride magazine to go from Bilbao across northern Spain and into Portugal down to Serta, no tolls and some good roads, the trusty Garmin Zumo 590LM however decided that going through farmyards would be a good idea avoiding the N2 at times.
On our route home Garmin dutifully put us on a toll road, for about 20 miles or so. Couldn’t find any payment facility at service stations, looked at home online and drew a blank too.
So maybe’s theres something in the euro post coming my way.
It seemed that were points at the start and end of the toll road, but nothing we could see if you joined at another point.

I've a trip booked for Spain and Portugal begiining of August hopefully the outbreaks will be over by then although I read Portugal may be adding restictions again.
My question is this I've read all I can find on the toll roads but still none the wiser.
My routs is mainly made up from Ride magazine but I'm not sure if bits of motorway are slipped in (hopefully not)
I've no objection to paying it's just the thought of entering a toll road and get to the other end and can't get off it if unlike France you can't just pop a card in .
So best and simplest option please
Cheers R.R.

Buy a TAG - Eurotunnel resell the French Emovis one that can be enabled for Spain & Portugal. It is expensive compared to the APRR one I mention above. With APRR you only pay a fee in a month you use the TAG. Emovis charge an admin fee every month which is not good if you only use it twice a year or not at all this year.

As I state above, on the couple of short motorway sections I did near Porto, there were not any toll barriers. You ride through a gantry that reads your number plate. In France & Spain there are barriers which only go up if it recognises the TAG or you use the alternative "take ticket as you enter, pay with credit card on exit" system.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/promotions/emovis-tag/ - you need to be a Eurotunnel customer to get the advertised discount

http://www.aprr.fr/fr/telepeagelibert/particuliers/offre-topeurop I use this system. There is a one off 15 euro set up fee then you just pay an admin fee of 2.4€ in any month you use it, plus the tolls of course. Website is in French only by Chrome translates. I have set up an auto payment of bill using my Post Office credit card which does not charge foreign currency commission.

If you subscribe to any of the TAG systems, makes sure you have the correct vehicle registered on the system. I find the APRR online system easy to navigate using Chrome to translate or my rudimentary French.

I don't think I have added any new information that is not already in the thread above.

Well as the thread has been resurrected - an update from me:

Almost 9 months since my faux pas nothing has yet landed on the door mat.

With the travel situation at present, it will be a while before I can head over the water, so I may have a new bike before I go back, so even the plate on a database wouldn't be a problem (for me). :D

Easy solution.

Look at the routes and compare them with a map. Do they take you down a motorway, yes or no?

If no, don't worry.

If yes, work out how to avoid the motorway section.

I believe there was a recent attempt to abolish tolls in Portugal certainly on the Algarve . Don't know what the outcome was because Covid 19 got in the way of everything. I've never paid a toll in Portugal, must admit though that i have on occasion expected a letter demanding payment. The only real issue i think is if you get stopped for a document check by the police and they may ask for proof of intent to pay toll.

Thanks for all your advice together just looked at routes I cant see that toll roads are used .I dont mind payment while there or at home I just dont want to be stuck at a barrier with a que behind me and I haven't a ticket or arent able to pay to get the barrier up it's bad enough in France when maybe the bike isnt heavy enough or whatever the reason and you cant get a ticket which opens the barrier.

Buy a TAG - Eurotunnel resell the French Emovis one that can be enabled for Spain & Portugal. It is expensive compared to the APRR one I mention above. With APRR you only pay a fee in a month you use the TAG. Emovis charge an admin fee every month which is not good if you only use it twice a year or not at all this year.

As I state above, on the couple of short motorway sections I did near Porto, there were not any toll barriers. You ride through a gantry that reads your number plate. In France & Spain there are barriers which only go up if it recognises the TAG or you use the alternative "take ticket as you enter, pay with credit card on exit" system.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/promotions/emovis-tag/ - you need to be a Eurotunnel customer to get the advertised discount

http://www.aprr.fr/fr/telepeagelibert/particuliers/offre-topeurop I use this system. There is a one off 15 euro set up fee then you just pay an admin fee of 2.4€ in any month you use it, plus the tolls of course. Website is in French only by Chrome translates. I have set up an auto payment of bill using my Post Office credit card which does not charge foreign currency commission.

If you subscribe to any of the TAG systems, makes sure you have the correct vehicle registered on the system. I find the APRR online system easy to navigate using Chrome to translate or my rudimentary French.

I don't think I have added any new information that is not already in the thread above.

I;ve just looked at the Emovis site and you only pay the monthly fee on months you actually use the tag, for a maximum of two months a year. There is a flat rate annual charge though.

Without knwoing exacty how many times I might use it, it's hard to work out which might be cheaper. As the difference is ony a few Euros, I don't intend to calculate it.

The actual tolls you pay are the same as paying with a credit card at the barriers, as far as I can tell. My main reason for considering one for a planned car trip in August, when there are liekly to be queues at some toll stations, is that it might enable us to go through that bit quicker.

I;ve just looked at the Emovis site and you only pay the monthly fee on months you actually use the tag, for a maximum of two months a year. There is a flat rate annual charge though.

Without knwoing exacty how many times I might use it, it's hard to work out which might be cheaper. As the difference is ony a few Euros, I don't intend to calculate it.

The actual tolls you pay are the same as paying with a credit card at the barriers, as far as I can tell. My main reason for considering one for a planned car trip in August, when there are liekly to be queues at some toll stations, is that it might enable us to go through that bit quicker.

it's the principle of the annual fee that I object to

and yes, in a car where you can use the "car only" lanes the tag will be very useful at peak times especially if you are solo or have a passenger that falls asleep as I had on the way to Strasbourg with my son.

Two of us visited Portugal, in March 2018, and we realised we were on some E-toll sections on at least 3 occasions during the trip. Unaware of what to do and being very short on time we figured we would just wait for the fines to arrive and deal with them then.

Nothing so far :augie:thumb

it's the principle of the annual fee that I object to

and yes, in a car where you can use the "car only" lanes the tag will be very useful at peak times especially if you are solo or have a passenger that falls asleep as I had on the way to Strasbourg with my son.

In the car, I will be relying on the passenger to keep me awake. Downside of a quiet, comfy car, I suppose. I rely on stiff suspension and poor UK road surafces to keep me awake here. Nice smooth French autoroutes might be a different thing altogether.

I am looking forward the the more interesting autoroute sections to the south of the Millau bridge...:D

Queues at toll stations in Portugal......Fuck me, you are a funny man.:D

In the car, I will be relying on the passenger to keep me awake. Downside of a quiet, comfy car, I suppose. I rely on stiff suspension and poor UK road surafces to keep me awake here. Nice smooth French autoroutes might be a different thing altogether.

I am looking forward the the more interesting autoroute sections to the south of the Millau bridge...:D

I have not gone south of Millau but the maddest Autoroute I have ridden is the A75 south of Clermont Ferrand towards Issoire. Proper bends, madder than those on the motorway along the north coast of Spain.

I have not gone south of Millau but the maddest Autoroute I have ridden is the A75 south of Clermont Ferrand towards Issoire. Proper bends, madder than those on the motorway along the north coast of Spain.

Unfortunately plod are often there nowadays and there are a couple of fixed cameras :mad:

Ten years ago they were epic curves :thumb2

Queues at toll stations in Portugal......Fuck me, you are a funny man.:D

Ive got a short video , don't worry I won't be posting it up here, where we stopped on our trip at a toll booth to enter an autoroute and it was hammering down with rain. There were two booths/lanes so with us being under the cover of the tools both and a total lack of traffic we dismounted in front of the barrier. We had a drink , stretched our legs and shot some footage of the heavy rain. No traffic ever came to go through either lane the whole 5-10 mins we were there. :D

Back
Top Bottom