Portugal Toll Roads

Blackblade-rry

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
Does anyone know if the Portuguese road tolls can be paid retrospectively?
Having skilfully planned a route avoiding them, I found that my road of choice was a toll road despite my map not showing this, and an alternative wasn’t feasible due to time constraints.
To avoid confusion, yes I do know sat navs can be set to avoid tolls, but this was old school map and paper route on the tank bag.
Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Portuguese for paying retrospectively is called a fine....

To be fined, they need to have an identifiable photograph of your vehicle. If they have one and want to be arsed to contact the DVLA (or some authorised third party) for your contact details, then you may be fined. If they can’t, then they won’t. Why not wait and see?

To be fined, they need to have an identifiable photograph of your vehicle. If they have one and want to be arsed to contact the DVLA (or some authorised third party) for your contact details, then you may be fined. If they can’t, then they won’t. Why not wait and see?

I don’t see that there is much option but to do this. The e-toll gantries had what appear to be forward and rear facing cameras, so registration plate would be identifiable.
I only asked because a) I didn’t want to take the piss, and b) avoid a fine (if one may arrive at some stage.

Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long ago was the trip when this happened? I am in Portugal at moment and I know that the locals can pay at a paypoint without the ViaVerde system. If you send me the registration number, I can ask.

Sent from my Moto G6

If you have avoided paying a toll, then if you return they will stop you and make you pay, I don`t think there is a fine as such, just the value of what the toll should have been.....I stole a toll road a few times on my Harley and did not get stopped upon my return, I cannot pay retrospectively as I have no idea which bit it was......Nor do I care.

We toured Portugal last year and went onto a toll road through an open lane which I guess must be for people who have a pre-paid electronic card and it was in genuine error. When we came to leave the toll road obviously we did not have a ticket to present so we buzzed for assistance. We managed to make ourselves understood with regards to when we joined the toll road and paid the lady. A few months later I get a letter with a pic of the bike entering the toll road asking for payment of around 35E so I assume the nice lady trousered the cash. I just ignored it, I had a few more follow up letters from a debt agency and ignored those also and haven't heard anything since.

Having skilfully planned a route avoiding them, I found that my road of choice was a toll road despite my map not showing this, and an alternative wasn’t feasible due to time constraints.

If you went through the gantries, as Joca says, you can pay online to be on the safe side.

My experience though: a few years ago though with a British plated car, I did a bit of motorway, tried to pay online a few times (plate number and credit card) – it didn't work. Trip to the post office wasn't helpful either.
Decided to wait for the fine back home. Never got anything.

If you went through the gantries, as Joca says, you can pay online to be on the safe side.

My experience though: a few years ago though with a British plated car, I did a bit of motorway, tried to pay online a few times (plate number and credit card) – it didn't work. Trip to the post office wasn't helpful either.
Decided to wait for the fine back home. Never got anything.

Problem with that is the "a few years ago" up until 2017 there was not a means to pass any fines on to owners of vehicles as of then all other EU countries have access to DVLA information and can now pass the fines to the driver. So with all of these any experiences before 2017 are just pointless.

I’ve swapped my old APRR tag for a “Top Europe” one which works in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal :thumb2

Haven’t tested it outside France yet as I’ve not been away on the bike for a few months

For Spain and Portugal you link it to your reg plate on the web site so you can still swap between car and bike easily

Two us headed to Porto and ended up on a toll road on the way there.

It was in June.

We phoned up to pay, to be told to wait till they wrote to us. They didn't ask for our details.

Nothing has arrived so far...

Thanks for the responses all.
Sorry for the delay in replying, still away, but now in Spain, and didn’t arrive at hotel until late, then shower and eats.
To explain a little more, I went through the tolls yesterday. I did find on line a form that could be completed to check outstanding tolls, but this didn’t seem to work for foreign vehicles (country of VAT registration was required but auto filled Portugal). Maybe this would work when back home from my laptop.
I’ve been in Portugal before with this bike, and as I don’t have current plans to change it, there is a possibility I could be here again on it, hence not wanting anything against the registration.
Let’s see what the post brings over the next weeks and months.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers.

How long ago was the trip when this happened? I am in Portugal at moment and I know that the locals can pay at a paypoint without the ViaVerde system. If you send me the registration number, I can ask.

Sent from my Moto G6

Hi Joca,
Thanks for the kind offer.
It wasn’t the Via Verde toll network. There are two types. I did also use the Via Verde, and got a ticket at the start of the journey and paid at the end. My question related to the other system, which is purely e-tolls (can’t remember the name offhand).
Anyway, I’ve escaped into Spain now, so we’ll see what the postman brings.
Thanks again.

No problem.
Hope you don't hear anymore about it from here.

Sent from my Moto G6

I’ve swapped my old APRR tag for a “Top Europe” one which works in France, Italy, Spain and Portugal :thumb2

Haven’t tested it outside France yet as I’ve not been away on the bike for a few months

For Spain and Portugal you link it to your reg plate on the web site so you can still swap between car and bike easily

I have one of these. Used in Portugal, Spain and France last year and again this year in Spain and France. The Tag transponder is read in Spain and France and you know it has worked as a barrier goes up. These charges appear on your account quite quickly. Around Porto the toll gantries are ANPR and you get no indication the system has recognised your vehicle. It also took 2 months before my APRR account saw the charges.

I can only recommend the APRR system. Just remember to change vehicle reg on the account if going to Portugal. The tag survived a bath in nikwax.

It is possible to aquire a Portuguese Via Verde TAG
As I seem to be spending more time in Portugal I`ve been able to get myself a Via Verde TAG. The process is a lot simpler now than it was when they 1st implimented the tolls, and allows for foreign "Estrangeiros" registrations.
With the basic account (the same as the french TAGs) you only pay for the tolls in the months you use it, and a small charge for E-billing, and theres no service charge for the months when you don`t use it, there is a 2.50 euro P+P charge.
https://www.viaverde.pt/particulares/aderir?s=identificador
The website will allow you to input non portuguese registrations in by ticking a box marked "Estrangeiros" and these can be changed online as & when reqd to cope with the ANPR system
Payment is via the bank/card and if I`ve read the instructions that came with it correctly you need to go to an ATM, insert the bank card you wish to associate with the TAG, and follow the onscreen instructions
PAGMENTOS E OUTROS SERVICOS TRANSPORTES VIA VERDE ACTIVACAO
(Payments and other services Transport - Via Verde activation)
NO CAMPO "NUMERO DE IDENTIFCADOR" INTRODUZA A REFERENCIA DE PAGAMENTO
(In the "Identifier Number" field enter the payment reference number)
The numbers reqd are on letter that comes with the TAG

Just been over there and inadvertently hit a toll section.
Went to the local tourism office in Vila Real (Monica is a sucker for a triple black GSA - shame I was on a blue GS!J
Advice was to go to Post office and purchase a ticket that preloads you registration number account with the value of the ticke.
The girls at the tourism office actually did the texting for us.....

Anyhoo, checking the website over the next few days, no charges were taken off the credit. Haven’t bothered checking recently
Some info here
https://gotoportugal.eu/en/toll-roads-in-portugal/

You can buy one "via verde" that is a small electronic device and pay instantly.

I you are woory about the electronic tools as far as I know the don't affect UK plates.

Back
Top Bottom